Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

I love the Olympics because...

I love the Olympics because...

Old Feb 16th 2010, 1:46 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I love the Olympics because...

I don't know what will happen when the games are in England but I suspect that the coverage won't quite be to the near exclusion of non 'home' athletes as I've seen over the last couple of days.

BBC has consistently interviewed the winners of events at past games no matter where from in addition to Brits and has also had foreign ex athletes as members of their commentary/analysis teams.

Obviously coverage is rightly geared to the home viewing audience but I've not seen it quite like it's been here so far. Maybe I've missed the interviews with all the winners

Perhaps now that Canada has the elusive first gold medal on home soil () coverage may be a little more inclusive.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 7:14 am
happy daisy

spankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud of

germany is the same. they only ever interview german athletes and if there are more than two events on at the same time they will show the most popular event (skiing in whatever form).

i like that the canadians are 'over the top' with their cheering and flags etc. after all, wouldn't it be nice to see the canadians kick some ass?
Old Feb 16th 2010, 9:41 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elizabeth I
...asserting itself as a major competitor.
They always have been
Old Feb 16th 2010, 4:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really nice

... the snow board cross was such a top event! Best event so far!!!
Old Feb 16th 2010, 5:01 pm
happy daisy

spankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Yelkcub
... the snow board cross was such a top event! Best event so far!!!
Woo-Hooo! i can't wait!!! we recorded it and will watch it in about 30 mins.
i love snowboard x - it's edge of the seat stuff
Old Feb 16th 2010, 6:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really nice

Originally Posted by spankysparkle
Woo-Hooo! i can't wait!!! we recorded it and will watch it in about 30 mins.
i love snowboard x - it's edge of the seat stuff
We watched it on BBC red button and it showed the whole event in sequence without any breaks - it is defo edge of seat stuff! Best event so far - hopefully the womens event is as good today!
Old Feb 16th 2010, 10:40 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alberta_Rose
Are we all cheering for Canada? I haven't actually seen any British competitors anyway .....
Theres a brit in the ladies half pipe and the snowboard cross! plus mens curling and ladies - -looky here
http://vancouver2010.teamgb.com/

and here - my son downtown on sunday@
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1015718812
Old Feb 17th 2010, 7:10 am
happy daisy

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
Theres a brit in the ladies half pipe and the snowboard cross! plus mens curling and ladies - -looky here
http://vancouver2010.teamgb.com/

and here - my son downtown on sunday@
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1015718812

ooh ooh I'll look out for them.
i like your son's spirit!!
Old Feb 17th 2010, 8:16 am
BE Enthusiast

ga1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nice

I have been enjoying watching the events, its on most channels so its hard not to watch but I have seen events I would never have thought of viewing before. I have been cheering for Canada all the way, mainly because I haven't seen anyone from GB or Ireland but also because its hard not to go with the crowd.
There is one negative to all this, the noise in downtown. Its after 1 am and I am being kept awake by the shouting as people go by.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 11:08 am
happy daisy

Originally Posted by ga1lf
I have been enjoying watching the events, its on most channels so its hard not to watch but I have seen events I would never have thought of viewing before. I have been cheering for Canada all the way, mainly because I haven't seen anyone from GB or Ireland but also because its hard not to go with the crowd.
There is one negative to all this, the noise in downtown. Its after 1 am and I am being kept awake by the shouting as people go by.
there is a solution to that - go and join them!
Old Feb 17th 2010, 11:16 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spankysparkle
there is a solution to that...
Wee filled water balloons?
Old Feb 17th 2010, 12:43 pm
happy daisy

Originally Posted by el_richo
Wee filled water balloons?
oh you are SO naughty!
Old Feb 18th 2010, 1:32 am
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

When Bilodeau won the gold I was excited. When CTV ran a feature about his brother wth CP I was moved deeply. His brother, with disablities, has motivated Bilodeau to greatness in his sport.

It moved me so much because my oldest child has Down syndrome, and I would hope that one day my younger chldren would say that Peter has inspired them.

I'm also self employed, and staying motivated in business and reaching goals in business is very similar to sports. Christina Groves, who won bronze in the 3000m long track speed skating said something quite profound in her interview afterwards. She said that she used to believe that if she felt good, or on a high, during the race, it meant she had performed well. Conversley, if she felt rough during the race she expected to do badly. However, her experience taught her that her emotions throughout the race had no bearing on how she skated, or how she placed.

As much as I enjoy the spectacle and the sports, it's the little nuggets from champions like that keep me interested in the games.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 2:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Elizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of light

The snowboarding is freaking awesome to watch.

And I watched the speed skaters racing and that was kewl too, especially when the French guy tried to over take the Italian (?) and they both took a tumble and crashed into the barrier right before the finish line, lol.

And the other guy that lost the slipstream on the main three was a Kiwi. Oh dear. I didn't know who it was and then they said "New Zealand." Oh great!

lol.

Last edited by Elizabeth I; Feb 18th 2010 at 2:53 am.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 3:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Elizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of light

Shaun White is phenomenal, what a show he put on! Brill.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.