Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

I hate Tories. And yes, it's tribal

I hate Tories. And yes, it's tribal

Old May 5th 2010, 6:16 am
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I hate Tories. And yes, it's tribal

Originally Posted by Oink
Or picked someone to lead the party who wasn't so politically incompetent and also wasn't tainted by association with the Labour's Iraq folly or more directly, the global recession.
But at the time it was either Blair or Brown. Blair could always give a good justification for Iraq and it never seemed to really be the main issue with voters. At the time there was no other credible contender as leader. Browns subsequent failure (or close association with the downturn) is central to peoples standard of living and I would have thought much more damaging to him politically. In fact in terms of Iraq, Brown seems to have kept his head down when the decision was taken and then not provided the funding for the equipment needed. In Browns interview with Paxman the other day, Browns quote about "the start of a golden age" regarding the banks was mentioned - he said this shortly before Northern Rock went under.
Old May 5th 2010, 6:18 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimf
But at the time it was either Blair or Brown. Blair could always give a good justification for Iraq and it never seemed to really be the main issue with voters. At the time there was no other credible contender as leader. Browns subsequent failure (or close association with the downturn) is central to peoples standard of living and I would have thought much more damaging to him politically. In fact in terms of Iraq, Brown seems to have kept his head down when the decision was taken and then not provided the funding for the equipment needed. In Browns interview with Paxman the other day, Browns quote about "the start of a golden age" regarding the banks was mentioned - he said this shortly before Northern Rock went under.
I never said he wasn't a tosser.
Old May 5th 2010, 6:23 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
I never said he wasn't a tosser.
Unfortunately for him, he does seem to be good at saying things that later bite him on the arse.
Old May 5th 2010, 6:25 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Unfortunately for him, he does seem to be good at saying things that later bite him on the arse.
I hope he doesn't say "crocodiles."
Old May 5th 2010, 1:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

I can identify with that...though I feel the same way about Liberals....
Old May 6th 2010, 9:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

canadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
And that personifies the "class system" in the UK. It is not the rich looking down on the poor, but the poor looking up at the rich.

It bores the living socks off me. What, for example, would the Tory haters have done about the miners' strike? And are these the same people that complain incessantly about how the unions operate indefensible policies in Canada?
Yup you got my vote with those comments. The poor are obsessed with the rich who the poor believe feel so superior. In reality, I'm sure the rich just mull along being mostly indifferent to the poor. This transposed superiority complex is in fact an inferiority complex of the accuser.

Last edited by canadian_critic; May 6th 2010 at 9:15 pm.
Old May 6th 2010, 9:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by canadian_critic
Yup you got my vote with those comments. The poor are obsessed with the rich who the poor believe feel so superior. In reality, I'm sure the rich just mull along being mostly indifferent to the poor. This transposed superiority complex is in fact an inferiority complex of the accuser.

peeeeersactamully....
Old May 7th 2010, 6:45 am
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by canadian_critic
Exactly. People who consider themselves "working class" *love* to make fun of people who are well-spoken. They perpetuate a divide that nobody should want to exist. I'm glad Canada doesn't bother with that BS.
Old May 9th 2010, 10:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by The Aviator
Bring back Maggie Thatcher I say, best PM next to Winston, Britain ever had :)

Too many unionised industries were the root of their own demise, pricing themselves out of the market, pushing industry to manufacture offshore, such as we now see with China and before that Japan or to import resources, such as coal from eastern Europe. I have met many employees who complain about their 'low wages' go on strike for more, then in the next sentence complain about how expensive everything is. As an employer now myself, I have no problem with paying a fair wage for a fair days work, so long as I can sell my product for a price that makes it profitable. If I don't make a profit, there is no money for reinvestment, no business and no jobs. One day I may even get to draw a salary myself!

From what I recall a lot of the bitterness in the miners strike that remains stems from some not wanting to strike and to work. Those that were on strike saw it as their 'right to strike', which it may well have been, but those that did not want to strike were not afforded the same right 'not to strike', without being targeted and branded as scabs. Surely if one person has a right to strike another has the right to make their own mind up what they want to do, not be bullied and in fear for their lives for having another opinion.
I agree with all of this especially the first line.
I cannot wait to see the back end of Gordon Brown. He is desperately hanging on with whatever fingernails he has left. Hopefully he will soon be slinking out of No 10 with his tail between his legs. What a disgrace he has been. I know all politicians lie but he is so blatant about it. He watches out troops die for the lack of proper equipment then has the nerve to say he has given the forces "everything that they have asked for" Even after that lie was exposed he still continued to spout it. Pathetic man.
Old May 10th 2010, 2:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

canadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by 1chumly
I agree with all of this especially the first line.
I cannot wait to see the back end of Gordon Brown. He is desperately hanging on with whatever fingernails he has left. Hopefully he will soon be slinking out of No 10 with his tail between his legs. What a disgrace he has been. I know all politicians lie but he is so blatant about it. He watches out troops die for the lack of proper equipment then has the nerve to say he has given the forces "everything that they have asked for" Even after that lie was exposed he still continued to spout it. Pathetic man.
Like teenagers, politicians seem to have got worse over the years. They never fail to amaze and disgust. Not like the politicians in the good old days. We used to joke then about them all being insincere, what with kissing the occasional baby, and tell the odd porky. But now the exception has become the rule and each politician leaving office seems to do so in disgrace over at least one major issue. Ok not a patch on the US politicians but they're quick learners.
Old May 10th 2010, 8:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
And that personifies the "class system" in the UK. It is not the rich looking down on the poor, but the poor looking up at the rich.

It bores the living socks off me.

Lol...touche!
Old May 10th 2010, 8:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by lmartin999
"As a young man David Cameron 'looked at Margaret Thatcher’s government and thought, these are my people'"

David Cameron hasn't got the balls of Thatcher, he's a girl.