Hummingbirds!

Old Apr 30th 2009, 5:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hummingbirds!

They're back I'm sure I'll never grow tired of watching them
Old Apr 30th 2009, 5:14 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hummingbirds!

Originally Posted by AlexInBC
They're back I'm sure I'll never grow tired of watching them
You and me both !! Magic flying machines. Have a look at my gallery. There are a couple of pictures of them there.
Old Apr 30th 2009, 5:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Simon Legree
You and me both !! Magic flying machines. Have a look at my gallery. There are a couple of pictures of them there.
Haven't got to them yet (wow there's a lot of pics in there ) but got to the ones of the opuntia cactus - my tortoises would mug you for a pad or two of that!

For anyone who wants to see Simon's hummingbird pics - go straight to page 17. (No offence - they're all good photos, but rather a lot to page through if you just want to look at the cute birdies!)

Last edited by AlexInBC; Apr 30th 2009 at 5:20 pm.
Old Apr 30th 2009, 5:20 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Haven't got to them yet (wow there's a lot of pics in there ) but got to the ones of the opuntia cactus - my tortoises would mug you for a pad or two of that!
Just look at the bottom of the first page. There are some not in an album.
Old Apr 30th 2009, 5:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Just look at the bottom of the first page. There are some not in an album.
Can't see them...? If I go to: http://britishexpats.com/photopost/s...p?ppuser=99504 (link under your name) I just get the first page of 12 out of 400 odd photos...
Old Apr 30th 2009, 5:27 pm
Bon Vivant

Can't see them...? If I go to: http://britishexpats.com/photopost/s...p?ppuser=99504 (link under your name) I just get the first page of 12 out of 400 odd photos...
Click on the Photo Gallery button at the top of this page then type my name in the search box at top right and click on that. It should get you there. Enjoy.
Old Apr 30th 2009, 5:29 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Any tips for attracting them? Got a feeder and some nectar the other day, been on a window that's not exposed to the sun now since Sunday, but no sign as yet.... Thinking of moving it to a sunnier window...
Old Apr 30th 2009, 5:34 pm
Bon Vivant

Originally Posted by G77
Any tips for attracting them? Got a feeder and some nectar the other day, been on a window that's not exposed to the sun now since Sunday, but no sign as yet.... Thinking of moving it to a sunnier window...
Maybe it's a tad early in your part of the world. They don't get here until mid May. Red is a big attraction them. Red feeders and red flowers. Once they find you they will keep visiting. Don't waste money on nectar. Make you own. Sugar and water and boil it down until it starts to thicken. Bingo. They are here all summer, well mid May to early September, and in Arizona all winter. I get a double dose.
Old Apr 30th 2009, 5:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by G77
I just have feeders all over the place (6 of them) and at the height of the summer there's usually 4 hummers at each feeder, constantly, with others waiting their turn!

I think you would be better getting another feeder than moving the one you have because once they arrive, they'll be there in huge numbers (assuming you get the quantities that we see here in BC Rockies?)

Just seen Simon's post. Yes, definitely don't buy nectar. You just need 4 parts boiled water to 1 part granulated sugar. We go through it so quickly that I make it with a minimum of 2 litres of water at a time, and that requires 500ml vol of sugar.

Last edited by AlexInBC; Apr 30th 2009 at 5:38 pm. Reason: More info on nectar.
Old Apr 30th 2009, 5:37 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

I just have feeders all over the place (6 of them) and at the height of the summer there's usually 4 hummers at each feeder, constantly, with others waiting their turn!

I think you would be better getting another feeder than moving the one you have because once they arrive, they'll be there in huge numbers (assuming you get the quantities that we see here in BC Rockies?)
There was plenty buzzing around at the local nature centre when we arrived in September and all of the shops seem to sell feeders etc, so we're assuming they're relatively common here. We may be just a touch too early though, but with it being seriously hot last weekend, I got the feeder out anyway.

Is there any rules on feeder placement - i.e. high up, low down etc? Or are they not fussy?
Old Apr 30th 2009, 5:40 pm
Bon Vivant

Originally Posted by G77
There was plenty buzzing around at the local nature centre when we arrived in September and all of the shops seem to sell feeders etc, so we're assuming they're relatively common here. We may be just a touch too early though, but with it being seriously hot last weekend, I got the feeder out anyway.

Is there any rules on feeder placement - i.e. high up, low down etc? Or are they not fussy?
Just remember that they migrate annually to and from Central and South America. They don't seem to be fussy about feeder location.
Old Apr 30th 2009, 5:41 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

Just remember that they migrate annually to and from Central and South America. They don't seem to be fussy about feeder location.
We're about as south as you can get, so they can't be too far away
Old Apr 30th 2009, 5:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by G77

Totally not fussy in our experience. We just make sure to not have them right in front of a window that could reflect the mountains and confuse them, and as far from our cats' potential hiding spots as possible. Most of our feeders are about 6' off the ground, just for convenience of refilling them without needing to stand on anything to get them down. If they're in full sun, I would clean them out and refill them with fresh nectar on a regular basis, or I imagine you could end up with drunk hummingbirds, LOL!
Old Apr 30th 2009, 5:44 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

Looks like they've already started arriving around here :-

http://www.hummingbirds.net/map.html

Do the feeders attract other flying nasties like wasps etc?
Old Apr 30th 2009, 5:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by G77
Looks like they've already started arriving around here :-

http://www.hummingbirds.net/map.html

Do the feeders attract other flying nasties like wasps etc?
Yes - unfortunately they do a bit...

But these guys are worth it: http://www.lazydogacres.com/hummingbirds.htm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.