Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

how was your "settling in" experience in Canada?

how was your "settling in" experience in Canada?

Old Mar 8th 2014, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

Cabbagetown is a jewel in the roughCabbagetown is a jewel in the roughCabbagetown is a jewel in the roughCabbagetown is a jewel in the rough
Default how was your "settling in" experience in Canada?

Any regrets about coming to Canada?

Anything you missed strongly and couldn't live without?

Any difficulties finding a job? - Thousands of job interviews and no success?

Has your standard of living improved? Was it all worth it?
Old Mar 8th 2014, 2:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how was your "settling in" experience in Canada?

Settling in was fun, and great, really enjoyed the first 3-4 years actually. Hubby had a job to come to, I found a couple of part time retail jobs over time, which turned out to be crap, but they are what they are I suppose. A lot of jobs seem to be looking for specific occupational training, which is the responsibility of the applicant - such as medical office assistants, many bank workers, insurance workers, who need to do a specific course etc. Without doing something like that, being in an area where graduates and postgraduates are churned out by the thousands, I didn't have any luck getting anything good with just a UK degree without taking more courses. Then we had children so I do that now instead anyway.

Improvement in standard of living is very subjective and really dependent on what's important to you. We have a bigger house, and can fill it with more stuff and crap if we want, but we would trade it in for a smaller house in the UK tomorrow if it meant that winter would last less than the 5 months it has seemed to drag on for so far. It's hard to be on foot pregnant with a 5 and 2 year old in sub zero temperatures for that long, but we can't run to a second car at the moment to make that any easier. For some people, that won't be an issue and they'll love winter. We prefer the school system and ethos of the UK (that idiot Gove withstanding...), and would prefer it for our children, although there will be many who feel the opposite too.

What do we miss? Banter. Better radio/TV/music. More worldly people. Some foods, but you can find most if you're willing to hunt and pay. Proximity of Europe and cheaper travel. Accessible history, castles. Family activities/holidays that don't require a second mortgage to go out for the day, more that's free, it won't cost $25 for a family to go swimming in the UK. Better drivers and road manners. Again, this will be completely subjective and probably vary from person to person.

Was it worth it? Completely. Do we regret it? Nope. Are we staying forever? Doubt it, and hope not. We place a high value on experiences, whether they turn out to be for the better or not, and would be completely different people had we not done this, and it has definitely altered our perspectives and values. That's the same for most I would think.
Old Mar 8th 2014, 3:56 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

I don't regret coming to Canada...I regret coming to this 'bit' of Canada...I just can't take the climate.

There's nothing I can't do without, although I wish that Canada would wake up and realise that it has great food and ingredients and is just doing a piss poor job with them; they don't think half enough about what they are eating.

The employment situation varies wildly from province to province.

My standard of living has definitely descended...but I'm hoping that we will ultimately think it was all worth it in the end
Old Mar 8th 2014, 4:26 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

No
No
No. I was brought to Canada by someone who needed a skill that I had.
Yes, I believe so. Was it worth it ? Well next week will be 45 years in Canada so it must agree with me. I have never had any wish to return to the UK to live.
Old Mar 8th 2014, 4:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cabbagetown
No.

No.

No.

Our kitchen is the size of the place I used to live in the UK. And I was thinking of buying a Porsche last week, but can't imagine driving it in the snow here . Probably have to settle for a Subaru.
Old Mar 8th 2014, 4:42 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

No.

No.

No.

The two are not inextricably linked IMO but yes and yes.
Old Mar 8th 2014, 6:13 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

No, it's been a learning experience.

No, I've not died because I'm living without things, its more nostalgia anyway.

No, I've had a few crappy jobs, can't be arsed to redo admin quals as I'm not bothered about a desk job. Job satisfaction would be nice but can't find anything interesting enough to spend 10k on learning where we are

We have a bigger house, a larger income and more family time, but enjoy life less. We will move, but are unsure as yet of our next destination.

Last edited by Piff Poff; Mar 8th 2014 at 6:16 pm.
Old Mar 8th 2014, 7:22 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dashie
What do we miss? Banter. Better radio/TV/music. More worldly people. Some foods, but you can find most if you're willing to hunt and pay. Proximity of Europe and cheaper travel. Accessible history, castles. Family activities/holidays that don't require a second mortgage to go out for the day, more that's free, it won't cost $25 for a family to go swimming in the UK. Better drivers and road manners. Again, this will be completely subjective and probably vary from person to person.

Was it worth it? Completely. Do we regret it? Nope. Are we staying forever? Doubt it, and hope not. We place a high value on experiences, whether they turn out to be for the better or not, and would be completely different people had we not done this, and it has definitely altered our perspectives and values. That's the same for most I would think.
Really good post, the only thing I would point out is that Britain is not necessarily cheaper for family fun. Swimming is £20 (£16 off peak) for a family ticket and the Zoo (London; family of four) is £75 for a day!
Old Mar 8th 2014, 7:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

Depends where you go I guess

For the local 'Day out with Thomas' train ride, it would cost $100 for 4 of us to go on a single 20 minute train ride on a plastic covered diesel. Last time we were over, it cost us £30 for 4 of us to ride 4 different proper steam trains as many times as we wanted for the whole day.

Last edited by Dashie; Mar 8th 2014 at 7:27 pm.
Old Mar 8th 2014, 7:25 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dashie
Depends where you go I guess
True. The castles are certainly better in Britain!
Old Mar 8th 2014, 7:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mmmm... castles and a decent doner kebab (yes, they do exist...)
Old Mar 8th 2014, 9:53 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

I hated it 10 months in and had severe depression . . but love it now
Old Mar 8th 2014, 11:09 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Seems to be enormous variation in prices.

$15 for a family swim here.
$5 for Baseball (if so inclined)
FIFA's women's under 20s world cup matches - $10

On the other hand gigs seem very expensive. The sort of acts I was paying £12-£16 for in Bristol are nearer $50 here.

Of course, it often depends if one compares the price to the exchange rate when you arrived or now.

$2.20 to the £ when I moved. Last year when it was around $1.50 things looked a lot more expensive but that was false if you have Canadian income.
Old Mar 8th 2014, 11:24 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Seems to be enormous variation in prices.

$15 for a family swim here.
$5 for Baseball (if so inclined)
FIFA's women's under 20s world cup matches - $10

On the other hand gigs seem very expensive. The sort of acts I was paying £12-£16 for in Bristol are nearer $50 here.

Of course, it often depends if one compares the price to the exchange rate when you arrived or now.

$2.20 to the £ when I moved. Last year when it was around $1.50 things looked a lot more expensive but that was false if you have Canadian income.

Really? Who are you seeing, Elton Johns? Last gig I went to was $16.00 plus fee and tax.
Old Mar 9th 2014, 12:43 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Really? Who are you seeing, Elton Johns? Last gig I went to was $16.00 plus fee and tax.
I saw quite well known bands doing a full set on the same bill at Bristol Academy in 2004 for half the price of a ticket here just to see one of them.

Gigs are probably the one thing that I have found very expensive compared to the UK. That and the price of cheese of course.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.