How smart are you?

Old Jul 2nd 2008, 3:59 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How smart are you?

Originally Posted by Souvenir
OK. If, we're going to get all clever, here's one.

The name of a well-known area of London contains six consecutive consonants. What is the name?
Knightsbridge! Used to work there and remember there was a poster in the Tube station with useless info about the area on, and that was one of the bits of trivia.
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 4:03 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Im just holding out for next weeks maths related quiz...
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 4:04 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Knightsbridge! Used to work there and remember there was a poster in the Tube station with useless info about the area on, and that was one of the bits of trivia.
Well done. Good pub quiz question, that is.

Here's another.

Which is further west; Edinburgh or Bristol?

And another.

What is the most abundant element in the earth's crust?
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 4:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Well done. Good pub quiz question, that is.

Here's another.

Which is further west; Edinburgh or Bristol?

And another.

I would guess that Edinburgh is further west but have no idea about the element in the earth's crust (clearly wasn't paying attention that day at school......!!).
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 4:11 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

By weight, or number of atoms, or what?

Is that an African Swallow or a European Swallow?

Oxygen will be top by number of atoms for sure, after all, its pretty much all oxides, but I wouldnt want to guess if the weight of the Silicon in all the Silica is greater then that of all the Oxygen thats combined with that and all the other metals like Alumin(i)um, Iron etc.

Last edited by iaink; Jul 2nd 2008 at 4:15 pm.
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 4:14 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Without looking it up, I'd guess at carbon or silica?
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by iaink
By weight, or number of atoms, or what?

Is that an African Swallow or a European Swallow?
In terms of its share of the (estimated) weight of the crust.
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Without looking it up, I'd guess at carbon or silica?
Silica is not an element.
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 4:19 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

In terms of its share of the (estimated) weight of the crust.
So we are estimating the weight of the crust, and "crust" itself is pretty ill-defined. Not very scientific.

Im still saying Oxygen though.
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 4:22 pm

So we are estimating the weight of the crust, and "crust" itself is pretty ill-defined. Not very scientific.

Im still saying Oxygen though.
OK. I'll refine it a bit.

What is the most abundant metal in the earth's crust, by weight.
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 4:26 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Silica is not an element.
If he were reading this thread, my old chemistry teacher, Mr. Orr, would be preparing to throw a wooden blackboard cleaner at me for that one.

Silicon
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
If he were reading this thread, my old chemistry teacher, Mr. Orr, would be preparing to throw a wooden blackboard cleaner at me for that one.

Silicon
Go stand in the corner.
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 4:28 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

OK. I'll refine it a bit.

What is the most abundant metal in the earth's crust, by weight.
Silicon, but its questionable whether a semiconductor can be truly considered a metal.

So if its a truly metalic metal you are after that would be Alumin(i)um
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 4:31 pm

Silicon, but its questionable whether a semiconductor can be truly considered a metal.

So if its a truly metalic metal you are after that would be Alumin(i)um
Al it is.
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 4:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Im just holding out for next weeks maths related quiz...
Somebody PM me when it's molecular biology of ion channels day.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.