How posh are you?

Old Nov 19th 2013, 2:36 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How posh are you?

Originally Posted by not2old
mimicking ...... posh is more an accent" - well I never knew that

I could fake posh now (even speaking with the North West accent) far better than I could have 40 years ago. And BTW, being Uni educated does not make a person posh in most any of the points that you made ....
Apart from the gibberish of the last few words...

I said education with no mention of university.
Old Nov 19th 2013, 2:37 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Clearly there are class differences in Canada, and speech variation is one identifier of differences. However the broader point is that Canadians don't generally seek to class differentiate with the same highly developed and reflexive skill that Brits do. This isn't to say none do, simply that is not prevalent.

Looking at the issue in reverse: in Britain, "poshness" tends not to be judged by house or car, despite there being a fairly standard correlation. There are exceptions to this notion (the county of Essex comes to mind - sorry Oink) but in general wealth is not measure. Same goes for accent in Canada.
Human's seem to have a need to stratify, its probably an extension of the family and clan. Britain has had thousands of years experience and practice of cultural classification and stratification. Those categories didn't fit neatly into the north American experience. Depending on their history they have developed their own different and sometimes unique forms division and thus discrimination.
Old Nov 19th 2013, 2:38 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats

If not formal schooling, what configurations of education do you mean?
Old Nov 19th 2013, 2:39 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

it's Mam not Mum. Only posh folks call their mother "Mum"
No, they call her Mummy, or Mother, or Mama. Dads are Daddy or Papa.
Old Nov 19th 2013, 2:45 am

it's Mam not Mum. Only posh folks call their mother "Mum"
The problem here is the term "posh" is a rather large, wobbly and fuzzy concept which is difficult to define and thus nearly impossible to use to generalize.
Old Nov 19th 2013, 2:46 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

No, they call her Mummy, or Mother, or Mama. Dads are Daddy or Papa.
Mater and Pater, innit?
Old Nov 19th 2013, 2:48 am
limey party pooper

Originally Posted by dbd33
Mater and Pater, innit?
If you're Bertie Wooster.
Old Nov 19th 2013, 2:53 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

correct, I said University.

Now as for the drivel - would you agree with me the posh folks that go to university will forever always be posh & the posh status can be lost when they lose their wealth, house & home, ending up on a council estate on welfare (still speaking posh) - or is it that disadvantaged child from the council estate that will never ever be posh even if and or when they succeed to show the world they (as an example) become the Prime minister married into wealth?

Wealth is not posh

Accent is not posh

Grooming is not posh

Position in the world scene is not posh

Elevated status is not posh

so what is posh?
Old Nov 19th 2013, 2:54 am

correct, I said University.

Now as for the drivel - would you agree with me the posh folks that go to university will forever always be posh & the posh status can be lost when they lose their wealth, house & home, ending up on a council estate on welfare (still speaking posh) - or is it that disadvantaged child from the council estate that will never ever be posh even if and or when they succeed to show the world they (as an example) become the Prime minister married into wealth?

Wealth is not posh

Accent is not posh

Grooming is not posh

Position in the world scene is not posh

Elevated status is not posh

so what is posh?
Posh is the new chav.
Old Nov 19th 2013, 2:54 am
limey party pooper

Originally Posted by Oink
If not formal schooling, what configurations of education do you mean?
Where's your question come from? I did not dismiss formal schooling in my post, i said education, but if you want some examples: prep school, independent school, public school, plus the stuff wot yer parents learn ya.
Old Nov 19th 2013, 2:56 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

If you're Bertie Wooster.
It's just a Volkswagen, honest.
Old Nov 19th 2013, 2:57 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Mater and Pater, innit?
there you go again sounding all posh

me Irish Mam is 'mudder' along with me Welsh 'tad'
Old Nov 19th 2013, 2:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Old Nov 19th 2013, 2:59 am
Dichotomus tinker

Originally Posted by Oink
Posh is the new chav.

I wonder if the word, term & usage 'chav' could be trademarked or patented?
Old Nov 19th 2013, 3:01 am
Dichotomus tinker

Where's your question come from? I did not dismiss formal schooling in my post, i said education, but if you want some examples: prep school, independent school, public school, plus the stuff wot yer parents learn ya.
This thread is about 'posh'.

On the OP it asked the question about schooling ..... my response was Primary - Secondary

4. What type of schools did you go to?

Primary - Secondary
Primary - Public
Prep - Secondary
Prep - Public

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.