Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

How much $$$ for your cell/mobile service ?

How much $$$ for your cell/mobile service ?

Old May 7th 2021, 1:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much $$$ for your cell/mobile service ?

Originally Posted by Shard
You're definitely not missing out. I like Instagram for photos, but after being on it a couple of years, I feel like I've seen every fantastic view and every trendy cafe on the planet. Literally. Twitter appears to be the preserve of journos, politicians and media folk. FB no idea.
Instagram.

Amalfi Coast. check
London Eye check
Eiffel Tower check
Sunset over the Vegas strip. check
Dawn over Branson/Gatlinburg check

Twitter is the most caustic I find and to be honest I can't follow the rhythm of the threads.
Old May 7th 2021, 8:19 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

We moved house last month; in our old house the only people who ever called the landline were scammers and my elderly parents. In the new place we have not taken a landline number, my parents were quite perturbed when I told them this and asked (on the phone) how they would be able to contact us.

Old May 7th 2021, 12:05 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
Being self employed and with enough stuff to keep me going helps. I have Linkedin but I sometimes wonder about people with 500 + contacts who seem to spend a lot of time 'liking' what looks like advertorials on Linkedin. They seem to collect contacts on Linkedin like Panini stickers.

I know of many people who have had their Twitter, Instagram, FB scoured by prospective employers. My name is quite standard so that wouldn't help
I interview a fair number of people for a client (as a contractor I don't have authority to hire or fire anyone directly and the firm has a level of deniability). I check linkedin to see if the person has troubled to use English correctly there. I know the posted content is generally a load of bollocks but if it's not grammatical bollocks the person is on thin ice already. Anyone who posts constantly about workplace racism has also put themselves on a sticky wicket.

I check all the other media mentioned. What I'm looking for there is, specifically, any trace of Trumpism and, generally, what sort of person is this; do they seem like they would fit in or are they a Chelsea supporter. Someone with no profile at all is off to a slow start as there's no soft opening such as "I see you have played golf, how do you defend this conduct?"
Old May 7th 2021, 12:09 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
We moved house last month; in our old house the only people who ever called the landline were scammers and my elderly parents. In the new place we have not taken a landline number, my parents were quite perturbed when I told them this and asked (on the phone) how they would be able to contact us.
I haven't had a landline this century but haven't told my mother; no need to confuse her.
Old May 7th 2021, 12:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I interview a fair number of people for a client (as a contractor I don't have authority to hire or fire anyone directly and the firm has a level of deniability). I check linkedin to see if the person has troubled to use English correctly there. I know the posted content is generally a load of bollocks but if it's not grammatical bollocks the person is on thin ice already. Anyone who posts constantly about workplace racism has also put themselves on a sticky wicket.

I check all the other media mentioned. What I'm looking for there is, specifically, any trace of Trumpism and, generally, what sort of person is this; do they seem like they would fit in or are they a Chelsea supporter. Someone with no profile at all is off to a slow start as there's no soft opening such as "I see you have played golf, how do you defend this conduct?"
I'll keep that in mind if I see a random person creeping on my Linkedin profile with definite anti-Chelsea tendencies. I'm finding that Linkedin is veering into a lot of people trying to be more politically correct than their fellow posters. There are no references to golf on my profile and it is free of Trumptastic tendencies. Remember golf isn't a sport..it is merely a pastime.
Old May 7th 2021, 12:54 pm
Assimilated Pauper

I'll keep that in mind if I see a random person creeping on my Linkedin profile with definite anti-Chelsea tendencies. I'm finding that Linkedin is veering into a lot of people trying to be more politically correct than their fellow posters. There are no references to golf on my profile and it is free of Trumptastic tendencies. Remember golf isn't a sport..it is merely a pastime.
The only merit I see in linkedin is that, if I need someone who knows x and I remember a person knowing x, it's quick to check that I have the right person and email them to see if they still know x and want some work. I wouldn't use it to search for someone random who knows x because everyone says they know x and few actually do.

I wouldn't say it's political correctness but I see a lot of corporatism "I'm honoured to have the privilege of participating in the success of <insert name of notorious sweat shop>" type of thing.
Old May 7th 2021, 2:54 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Being self employed and with enough stuff to keep me going helps. I have Linkedin but I sometimes wonder about people with 500 + contacts who seem to spend a lot of time 'liking' what looks like advertorials on Linkedin. They seem to collect contacts on Linkedin like Panini stickers.

I know of many people who have had their Twitter, Instagram, FB scoured by prospective employers. My name is quite standard so that wouldn't help
I feel like LinkedIn is the very worst of them all now.

The politics has crept on and it's easily the most pompous and pretentious of the social networks.

It's a rough guide to where a person may have worked but the embellishment factor particularly by those in commercial functions extorts any real perspective of the person.

The influencers and podcasters at best have totally failed at their games and I just can't see how regurgitating the basic fundamentals of business for likes earns them any sort of living.

Facebook and Instagram are as intended for chasing ladies- although Facebook has the added dimension of me allowing to keep up with folks back home and I use messenger for 90 percent of personal comms.

I quite like the creativity of Instagram although I wish I could switch off stories. People get creative with their photos to some extent but their stories just make me glad I'm not them with such a dull life that they have time to shoot one of these naff things to try and feel better about their life choice.
Old May 7th 2021, 3:01 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by JamesM
I feel like LinkedIn is the very worst of them all now.

The politics has crept on and it's easily the most pompous and pretentious of the social networks.

It's a rough guide to where a person may have worked but the embellishment factor particularly by those in commercial functions extorts any real perspective of the person.

The influencers and podcasters at best have totally failed at their games and I just can't see how regurgitating the basic fundamentals of business for likes earns them any sort of living.

Facebook and Instagram are as intended for chasing ladies- although Facebook has the added dimension of me allowing to keep up with folks back home and I use messenger for 90 percent of personal comms.

I quite like the creativity of Instagram although I wish I could switch off stories. People get creative with their photos to some extent but their stories just make me glad I'm not them with such a dull life that they have time to shoot one of these naff things to try and feel better about their life choice.
Where are you on Tik Tok?
Old May 7th 2021, 3:03 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Lol
Old May 7th 2021, 3:13 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

I hoped Trump would ban it so I didn’t have to go there.

When he didn’t I set up an account like I have on Twitch, Snap and Clubhouse.

The account remains activity less but if I seek employment and the hiring manager is millennial or Gen Y then I’m there.
Old May 7th 2021, 3:41 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by JamesM
I hoped Trump would ban it so I didn’t have to go there.

When he didn’t I set up an account like I have on Twitch, Snap and Clubhouse.

The account remains activity less but if I seek employment and the hiring manager is millennial or Gen Y then I’m there.
Well then, should I be the hiring manager, I'll be sure to swipe right.
Old May 7th 2021, 3:43 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

Well then, should I be the hiring manager, I'll be sure to swipe right.
With the right filters anything is possible!
Old May 7th 2021, 5:00 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Bane of my bloody life. 12 year old isn't allowed to have it but classmates do. Not all videos posted are funny.

On another note, I'm told by a friend in the tech journo world that Signal is the new Whats App because Facebook now have even more rights to utilise, market and generally try and profit off your personal info, calls, images etc.
Old May 7th 2021, 5:46 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat

On another note, I'm told by a friend in the tech journo world that Signal is the new Whats App because Facebook now have even more rights to utilise, market and generally try and profit off your personal info, calls, images etc.
I've heard the same but so far no one I know has switched. Whats App still accounts for about half my work phone calls and nearly all the social ones. The subject of the work calls is, of course, "is Teams working for you today?"
Old May 28th 2021, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

rabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud of

This thread took a shift from the original postings!

Cell service in Canada can be had at a somewhat reasonable rate if you are patient and are prepared to jump through hoops. Even then, you won't get as good a rate as you would in the UK. Here's what I have for Canada & UK.

1 - Canada : I get unlimited Canada wide calls/texts with Fido, along with 25Gb data per month for $35 per month. This was not an easy plan to get, but I switched out to a temporary provider and got the deal when it was still available. Details of how to do this are over at Red Flag Deals Forums.

2 - UK & EU : I keep a Giffgaff SIM active by sending a text here in Canada once every 6 months on their PAYG plan. This is also useful for two-factor authentication with UK banks / PayPal etc because receiving texts on the UK number is free in Canada. I just keep a balance on the phone, not a Goody Bag. When I return to the UK for holidays, I add a Goody Bag of data & calls which usually costs around a tenner a month. However, last trip, I ported the number over to VOXI. This then gave me free calls & texts WITHIN Europe, as well as back to the UK. So I could call the local restaurant in Italy, or my AirBnB host in France at no charge. I was getting 8Gb for my tenner with no call charges or text charges within UK or when roaming in the EU. When I returned to Canada, I ported the number back to GiffGaff as Voxi cancel numbers after 90 days.

Benefit of this - my UK number is always the same when I visit. Easy for me to remember, and my friends still have it in their phones from my previous trips, and costs me about 10p a year to maintain the number.
Canadian number stays the same too, and is finally a competitive plan / price and I don't have to roam.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.