Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

How long to feel Canadian?

How long to feel Canadian?

Old Feb 2nd 2023, 2:48 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long to feel Canadian?

Let's not forget that the Freedumb convoy's backers wanted to overthrow the democratically elected government of Canada and get the Governor General to set up a committee of various loons and insurrectionists to rule Canada in its place. In this sense it was the least Canadian thing you could think of and was rather more American in nature. They certainly didn't speak for a majority of Canadians.
Old Feb 2nd 2023, 3:12 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shelley748
Did you not see the videos of crowds on the over passes in 2022 and alongside the highways in minus 30C temps? There were way more than 2000 and in Ottawa itself over the period I would say over 500,000- which is a big deal.
Was your mate David Icke there?

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Let's not forget that the Freedumb convoy's backers wanted to overthrow the democratically elected government of Canada and get the Governor General to set up a committee of various loons and insurrectionists to rule Canada in its place. In this sense it was the least Canadian thing you could think of and was rather more American in nature. They certainly didn't speak for a majority of Canadians.
For democratically elected government, read Lizard people.
Old Feb 2nd 2023, 3:24 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

The loons and insurrectionists are also a minority, perhaps a larger minority, but still a tiny minority, south of the border, and similarly they don't speak for the majority of Americans.

FWIW There are currently reported to be 68% of the US population fully vaccinated, and a further 11% partially vaccinated, so given that there is an anti-vaccination (generally, not just covid) group that is politically left of center, the vaccination percentages show that a substantial number of Republicans/ rightwingers are vaccinated, and presumably not part of the insurrectionist minority.

I don't how typical they are of "the unvaccinated" (I suspect "fairly"), but a couple of neighbors aren't vaccinated and they are just retired old farts, who I doubt could resist a mail delivery, never mind participating in overthrowing the federal government. 🙄

Another neighbor who had a Trump flag flying on his flag pole between 2015 and late 2020, was always enthusiastic about covid precautions and getting vaccinated, and understood the need and importance of doing so, especially at the time when there was no vaccine approved for children, as he has four grandchildren.
Old Feb 7th 2023, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

DMajor is an unknown quantity at this point

How did this thread move onto a discussion about vaccinations?
I notice even Brexit gets a mention...lol
Anyway, to continue with my original topic, I bought a big jar of Maple syrup recently and have booked a cottage vacation this summer. It seems I'm getting there..
Old Feb 7th 2023, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

DMajor is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jerry brewer

and being able to get an ivor's

https://ivordewdney.co.uk/

Oh, yes..
The great Plymouth Pasties...yum yum
Old Feb 9th 2023, 6:53 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

You know you're Canadian when you have to avoid a moose

Old Feb 9th 2023, 7:48 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you lived in Ottawa it was really funny.
Old Feb 10th 2023, 1:45 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shelley748
Did you not see the videos of crowds on the over passes in 2022 and alongside the highways in minus 30C temps? There were way more than 2000 and in Ottawa itself over the period I would say over 500,000- which is a big deal.
More like 5 to 10,000 in Ottawa ruining the lives for the poor people who live there. Ottawa is tiny and there is no way there was anywhere close to 500,000. Out of curiosity what are you doing about the other mandates you live by like traffic lights and driving on the right hand side of the road? Are you still paying for goods and services or helping your self now?

Last edited by JamesM; Feb 10th 2023 at 1:49 am.
Old Feb 18th 2023, 10:38 am
Oscar nominated

Maybe people don't want to feel Canadian.

I read in the paper the other day that 20 years ago, 75% of immigrants took Citizenship and now it's only 45%.
Old Feb 18th 2023, 2:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Maybe people don't want to feel Canadian.

I read in the paper the other day that 20 years ago, 75% of immigrants took Citizenship and now it's only 45%.
Perhaps the type of Immigrant to Canada demographic has shifted from 20 years ago and perhaps a large percentage of those Immigrants now cannot have dual citizenship. India and China does not allow dual citizenship.

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/...tizenship.html
Old Feb 18th 2023, 4:20 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Perhaps the type of Immigrant to Canada demographic has shifted from 20 years ago and perhaps a large percentage of those Immigrants now cannot have dual citizenship. India and China does not allow dual citizenship.. ...
But that fact might also speak to intent - that such immigrants intend to return to their home country eventually, even if only when they retire. In the US I have met some Indians who did take US citizenship, even when they have parents and siblings living in India, and others who remained as permanent (US) residents but Indian citizens.
Old Feb 18th 2023, 6:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
But that fact might also speak to intent - that such immigrants intend to return to their home country eventually, even if only when they retire. In the US I have met some Indians who did take US citizenship, even when they have parents and siblings living in India, and others who remained as permanent (US) residents but Indian citizens.
That could also be a factor however there is always the risk of not taking citizenship in that country that you could end up being removed earlier than expected and in my job I see this happen every day. Quite a few Brits have been deported from Canada even after living here for 15, 20, 30 years etc as they elected not to take out citizenship and now find themselves back in a country where they don't know anyone and have to start over from scratch.
Old Feb 18th 2023, 6:47 pm

That could also be a factor however there is always the risk of not taking citizenship in that country that you could end up being removed earlier than expected and in my job I see this happen every day. Quite a few Brits have been deported from Canada even after living here for 15, 20, 30 years etc as they elected not to take out citizenship and now find themselves back in a country where they don't know anyone and have to start over from scratch.
I totally agree, and we often give people the same advice in the US forum, for the same reasons, to ensure you always have the right to stay, especially if you have children married and/or settled, and to make yourself deportation proof.

Some don't realize that dual citizenship is possible, some seem to think it's "unbritish", others just seem to be looking for a shove in the right direction to complete the paperwork. A few even think that applying for US citizenship is difficult and expensive - it really isn't, and is probably the easiest step of anyone's immigration journey, and can be easily completed without needing a lawyer's assistance.
Old Feb 18th 2023, 9:43 pm
Oscar nominated

That could also be a factor however there is always the risk of not taking citizenship in that country that you could end up being removed earlier than expected...
Just avoid breaking those laws that get one deported

...A few even think that applying for US citizenship is difficult and expensive...
I can't speak for America but a 500% increase in fees in whatever year the cost rocketed in Canada probably makes a difference.

Plus swearing allegiance to the queen king.

Old Feb 18th 2023, 10:33 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat143 scrubbedexpat143 scrubbedexpat143 scrubbedexpat143 scrubbedexpat143 scrubbedexpat143 scrubbedexpat143 scrubbedexpat143 scrubbedexpat143 scrubbedexpat143 scrubbedexpat143

I .... for the same reasons, to ensure you always have the right to stay, especially if you have children married and/or settled, and to make yourself deportation proof.

Some don't realize that dual citizenship is possible, some seem to think it's "unbritish", others just seem to be looking for a shove in the right direction to complete the paperwork. A few even think that applying for US citizenship is difficult and expensive - it really isn't, and is probably the easiest step of anyone's immigration journey, and can be easily completed without needing a lawyer's assistance.
Agree entirely. Most Canadians I now here in Australia have PR but are not citizens. I availed myself of the "dual privilege" when it was available in the 1990s but am not sure if this is still the case, someone has told me it's no longer available but I haven't looked into it. For me I felt there were privileges as I then wanted to travel back more often than I do now, also I maintain two bank accounts "back home" which I used until 2020 to pay some of the expenses for my mom's stay in an advanced care home - she has now died and I no longer have this responsibility. I also held a half share in a property, but this has now been sold to a family member and I no longer need these, so I may close them.

Indeed, my remaining links to Canada are now almost entirely nostalgic memories. Many fond recollections of growing up in New Brunswick and my early adult years there and in Montreal and Toronto, but that's it. Otherwise only a few friends who are still around, from the1960s-1970s, and that's about it. I still have family in New Mexico, but obviously that isn't Canada. With my dual nationality and the current requirement that having been born in Canada I now have to hold a Canadian passport to return, I think it's odd that I can now visit the USA much more easily than go back to Canada, but it seems that's the law, so there you have it.

Most of my Canadian friends here are still fiercely patriotic and hold strong links to their home country. Not so much me as I've lived in so many other places. I keep in contact with my few links left there, and occasionally see other Canucks in Melbourne, but my life is now here. I still find it interesting to keep in contact with a few people and of course current events back there, but my friends all complain about the high cost of everything plus the dual slugs of national and provincial sales taxes which we don't have here (or if we do, it's included in the price of things). One thing I definitely do not miss is the horrible climate in Canada, even as a child I wasn't a sporting type and I hated being locked indoors in the long winter months.

What I probably miss most of all is being at my grandparents' farm in New Brunswick. They had 600 acres and he tapped his trees and made maple syrup every spring for many decades until the late '80s when he decided that time had passed (he was 89 or 90 then). I was always given a gallon of syrup every year, it was so much I would decant most of it into smaller bottles and give the stuff away to friends as gifts. Yes, the good old days.

All this said, I enjoy reading what "motivates" BE readers to feel Canadian. This brings back many good memories for me.