Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

household gross pre-tax annual income

View Poll Results: SO HOW MUCH DO YOU BRING IN PRE-TAX?
over 100k
64.18%
75-99k
8.96%
50-74k
11.94%
25-49k
5.97%
UNDER 24k
8.96%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

household gross pre-tax annual income

Old Dec 8th 2013, 5:02 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: household gross pre-tax annual income

I am 66 & just won (imaginary) $1,000,000 on the lottery - what should I do with this money

a) invest it in a guaranteed investment grossing at a rate equal to inflation?

b) do nothing & stick it under the mattress so to speak in a non interest zero growth vehicle?

I decided on 'b' .... why did I do that
Old Dec 8th 2013, 5:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
I would disagree. It depends on whether it is good debt or bad debt. Personal, a mortgage the the cheapest source of financing one can get. Pay a mortgage and invest max into RRSP, take the tax rebate and use that to pay down debt.

For business, so long as the return exceeds the cost, it is good debt. Make money with other peoples money, why use your own? When making a surplus and no plans to expand, then begin to pay down debt or diversify investment elsewhere to protect what you have.

My kids started an RRSP young, took advantage of compounding and spreading out the timeline risk of any investment. The longer one has an investment, the easier it is to ride out any blips. One can also afford to be more aggressive with investment strategies. The older we start the more conservative we need to be and the lower the returns.
agree

please see my response post number 21
Old Dec 8th 2013, 5:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by haggis88
i use my credit card for everything then pay it off at the end of the month...get the rewards for stuff i'm buying anyway (airmiles, cashback etc)
you are lucky you can do it

you are not the banks' favorite customer though
Old Dec 8th 2013, 5:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Why, I use credit cards all the time, get rebates, points for stuff I don't need, purchase protection insurance, low FX rates, convenience. I use debit maybe once or twice a year if there is no alternative.

Everyone's perception is different. I know of people who figure they can afford something if they can make the monthly repayments (mortgage excluded). They are fooling themselves if that source of income could dry up. Debt and credit is useful when used wisely. Unfortunately plenty do not know how to use credit to their advantage.
I have no problem with credit cards provided the cash flow is there and one doesn't get sucked into a debt spiral

Ever noticed how impossible it becomes to be debt free if one simply pays the minimum monthly amount on the credit card?
Old Dec 8th 2013, 5:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
Now as a member of the management committee or the CEO of a pubco with my big fat paycheque, bonus & options - I really don't give a $hit about the company or the shareholders - just my bank balance & free loading benefits
Bingo. Get the CEO job, borrow lots of money, spend it for a short-term income boost, take your fat bonus and stock options, and move on to ruin another company before the cost of the debt destroys this one.
Old Dec 8th 2013, 5:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by not2old
I am 66 & just won (imaginary) $1,000,000 on the lottery - what should I do with this money

a) invest it in a guaranteed investment grossing at a rate equal to inflation?

b) do nothing & stick it under the mattress so to speak in a non interest zero growth vehicle?

I decided on 'b' .... why did I do that
I have no idea but it sems you must have a good reason
Old Dec 8th 2013, 6:02 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

simple & on the basis no good debt (LOL) or bad debt - being empty nesters, just you alone or the two of you living life till the sun goes down or your lights go out, so it all boils down to how much money do you need per month to live as you want to live - excluding rent/mortgage or property taxes (factor those in as need be).

Of course the $1,000,000 that I just won at my age stashed under the mattress burning $1000/wk ($52k/yr) of that money i'd last ~20 years.

Have not taken into account other income from wherever - in our case its CPP & OAS.

Of course we could stick part of the cool million in an TFSA invested in a GIC - but that wouldn't produce a lot of income right now

Or borrow a million against the million ... fools paradise, however if one was lucky they'd have twice as much as they started with, probably less after the taxman cometh

Last edited by not2old; Dec 8th 2013 at 6:26 pm.
Old Dec 8th 2013, 6:12 pm
Dichotomus tinker

Originally Posted by montreal mike
I have no problem with credit cards provided the cash flow is there and one doesn't get sucked into a debt spiral

Ever noticed how impossible it becomes to be debt free if one simply pays the minimum monthly amount on the credit card?
Some cards have a yearly fee of $2500, others in the $100 - $500 range basic cards return points or 1% of what a person spends. Me thinks credit cards induce spending. I dislike credit cards & have no use for them, however to book a flight, make a car or hotel reservation a must have a credit card so I'm told, so before doing any of those things I will get myself a pre-paid zero service charge credit card - maybe several.

On credit cards there's always credit (or credit card) arbitrage ..., which I'm thinking is how corporations & every day folk run their lives or business
Old Dec 8th 2013, 7:53 pm
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Retired once and working again.
Is that by choice or necessity?
Old Dec 8th 2013, 8:02 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Is that by choice or necessity?
By choice.
Old Dec 8th 2013, 8:05 pm
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

By choice.
The better of the two! Were you getting bored in retirement ?
Old Dec 8th 2013, 9:01 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
The better of the two! Were you getting bored in retirement ?
Some opportunities were presented and decided to go for it. Working because you want to is a lot easier than because you have to.
Old Dec 8th 2013, 9:03 pm
me/moi

Some opportunities were presented and decided to go for it. Working because you want to is a lot easier than because you have to.
Good point.
Old Dec 9th 2013, 7:37 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by montreal mike
when i see people paying for food at supermarkets, using a credit card instead of interac, it makes me sick
And remember not all cards with a Visa/MC symbol are credit cards, some are debit cards.

I am attempting to pay off debt, mostly student loans, just not sure how to do it since the payments the government wants exceeds what I can afford, but I am attempting to get them to lower the payments. (currently between the federal government and provincial they want about 500 a month, which is over a weeks pay and not doable.)
Old Dec 9th 2013, 11:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
And remember not all cards with a Visa/MC symbol are credit cards, some are debit cards.

I am attempting to pay off debt, mostly student loans, just not sure how to do it since the payments the government wants exceeds what I can afford, but I am attempting to get them to lower the payments. (currently between the federal government and provincial they want about 500 a month, which is over a weeks pay and not doable.)
what they want and what they will get might be 2 different things

if you can find a bureaucrat with a heart and one who is allowed to exercise some discretion, then you might be able to come to an arrangement

food shelter clothing are the bare necessities of life

student loan paybacks are secondary

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.