HOT Lanes GTA

Old Dec 11th 2015, 1:25 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HOT Lanes GTA

The crap transit is the biggest reason more dont use it. In BC including Vancouver its time consuming and over crowded much of the day.

My old bus route to work on avg was 2 times longer vs driving the same route.

Originally Posted by Gozit
What people fail to understand about this, is that sometimes people don't want to ride transit. For one, I like driving, and nothing can really live up to that. Its also alot quicker to hop in a car and drive someplace than to have to adhere to a specific schedule of the transit, etc etc. So the save the environment brigade can piss on people for driving all they want, but for the people that just want to drive, you aren't going to get them on a train or bus. I don't know, maybe its because i've grown up here and we've never used public transit very much, so its probably a cradle mentality.

I think "HOT" lanes are a good idea, but they've put them in a redundant spot where the 407 already exists. They should put them on the QEW heading eastbound towards the Gardiner/427 after it splits from 403. 401 already has a gazillion lanes, the QEW eastbound through Mississauga is the only one thats lacking IMO.
Old Dec 11th 2015, 1:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
The crap transit is the biggest reason more dont use it. In BC including Vancouver its time consuming and over crowded much of the day.

My old bus route to work on avg was 2 times longer vs driving the same route.
Well yes, there is this too. Its never on time, dirty and overcrowded and thats one of the reasons it isn't appealing to drivers. But you just can't beat the convenience of driving.
Old Dec 11th 2015, 2:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

'Public transport' is always crap, because it goes from where you aren't to where you don't want to be via places you don't want to go. Until we can get a bus that arrives at our door at the time we want to leave, goes direct to where we want to be, and doesn't require us to share it with crazy people, we'll continue to avoid it if we can.

In theory, there's a bus that goes from a stop about ten minutes' walk from my house to a stop right outside where I work, but a) it takes nearly an hour vs fifteen minutes' driving, and b) half the time, the scheduled service doesn't run, and the bus from home terminates at the downtown depot where I have to catch another one for the rest of the route. And if my bus is late, that bus leaves before I get there, so I have to wait half an hour for the next one.

On one snowy day, the bus trip home took three hours. The car would have been slowed down by the snow on the roads, but I'd still have got home in half an hour.
Old Dec 11th 2015, 2:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Roads are already passe in more civilized countries.
Don't be silly. North Korea has plenty of roads. It's just that only the Great Leader is allowed to use them.
Old Dec 11th 2015, 6:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkG
'Public transport' is always crap, because it goes from where you aren't to where you don't want to be via places you don't want to go. Until we can get a bus that arrives at our door at the time we want to leave, goes direct to where we want to be, and doesn't require us to share it with crazy people, we'll continue to avoid it if we can.

In theory, there's a bus that goes from a stop about ten minutes' walk from my house to a stop right outside where I work, but a) it takes nearly an hour vs fifteen minutes' driving, and b) half the time, the scheduled service doesn't run, and the bus from home terminates at the downtown depot where I have to catch another one for the rest of the route. And if my bus is late, that bus leaves before I get there, so I have to wait half an hour for the next one.

On one snowy day, the bus trip home took three hours. The car would have been slowed down by the snow on the roads, but I'd still have got home in half an hour.
+1
Old Dec 11th 2015, 8:25 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkG

My route took the same route you'd drive to get there, and the bus was right outside the house, and ran every 7 mins most of the day, however it stopped like every block, something like 85 stops between the house and work, there really needs to be less stops and people need to walk a bit more to speed the trips up.

Of course it doesn't help when drivers take a random break when already behind schedule further delaying the trip.

Commuter rail (heavy kind, not subway/light/sky train style) isn't bad, pretty comfortable, almost as fast as driving, and during rush hour sometimes faster, and generally has never been a sardine can. But there is only 1 route Mission to Vancouver, so it's useless to majority of the commuting public.
Old Dec 11th 2015, 9:50 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

... there really needs to be less stops
Apart from the ones where you want to get on and get off of course.
Old Dec 11th 2015, 10:02 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Apart from the ones where you want to get on and get off of course.
No, I am more then willing to walk an extra block and go to stops every other block instead of every block.

Then for BC of course, most city's have piss poor transit, so driving is the only viable option.