homesickness..

Old Aug 15th 2007, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

markhelen will become famous soon enough
Default homesickness..

for those of you that have been in Canada for a while, how long was it before the homesickness kicked in if at all? we are both fine at the moment but am wondering when other people started felling it?

just preparing for the future, just in case!

Mark
Old Aug 15th 2007, 3:55 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: homesickness..

Just have a read of the BBC News website under the UK section when you start to feel homesick. Once you see all the stabbings and shootings you will realise how lucky you are and it will pass.
Old Aug 15th 2007, 3:57 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by markhelen
for those of you that have been in Canada for a while, how long was it before the homesickness kicked in if at all? we are both fine at the moment but am wondering when other people started felling it?

Mark
36 years, and I'm not kidding I went into a major depression triggered by contacting an old school chum through the internet.

Other issues going on in my life at the time but that I'm sure was the catalyst.

Last edited by Steve_P; Aug 15th 2007 at 4:41 pm.
Old Aug 15th 2007, 4:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Home is where you live,,if you're sick of where you live,thats Home sickness. Move to somewhere that don't make ya sick. Simple
Old Aug 15th 2007, 4:12 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Gremmie
Home is where you live,,if you're sick of where you live,thats Home sickness. Move to somewhere that don't make ya sick. Simple
That might be your interpretation of homesickness it sure isn't mine.
Old Aug 15th 2007, 4:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gremmie
Jees you truckers have nerves of steel...so goddam rugged and butch hell ya see it like it is and like it as ya see the open road... travellin' from here ta there wherever I lay my head that's ma home let's kick ass on this here highway and burn up them miles till there aint no miles ta burn, home! Paah! Just a sissy load ah namby pampy's cryin in their mammy's tits...christ ah gotta pee.
Old Aug 15th 2007, 4:24 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve666
Jees you truckers have nerves of steel...so goddam rugged and butch hell ya see it like it is and like it as ya see the open road... travellin' from here ta there wherever I lay my head that's ma home let's kick ass on this here highway and burn up them miles till there aint no miles ta burn, home! Paah! Just a sissy load ah namby pampy's cryin in their mammy's tits...christ ah gotta pee.
Old Aug 15th 2007, 4:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have a bladder disfunction?????????????
Old Aug 15th 2007, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

markhelen will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Steve_P
That might be your interpretation of homesickness it sure isn't mine.
totally agree
Old Aug 15th 2007, 4:32 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markhelen

Mark
I think everyone is different. We tend not to have any home-sickness bouts any more after about a year and we are finally settled in our own house (i.e. not renting) etc. But perhaps we will get them still.

One thing I really wish I had done before I left was to take a video camera and film all the reasons why we left. You forget them so quickly once you are here and then you start to wonder. If you haven't left yet, please do it. Go out into your home town on a saturday night and film people throwing-up in the street and smashing each other's heads in, film your house so you can see how cramped it is, film the behaviour of the kids in the playground at your kids school (and then film the police who try to arrest you for doing it because they automatically assume you are a child-molester because there are so many of them in the area), film the waitress at your local pub who curtly slams your plates down on the table and says "here's your food", record the person on the other end of the phone at the phone company wh doesn't even listen to what you are complaining about and tells you that they can't help; film the wind and the rain out of the window every day when its really supposed to be summer.

And, when you start to get those home sickness pangs, get your "home" video out and watch it. It will cure them instantly!
BE Enthusiast

ladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to behold

Neither my hubbie or myself (or my son actually) have been homesick as such in the 3 years we've been here. However, there have been times that something here has hit us hard and it has caused a low-period of sorts.

For me it was a really stupid incident in the local Home Depot when one of the assistants was sooooo rude to me. Having come from the UK I just couldn't understand how she could get away with it without any comeback from management. Anyway, this was a culmulation of a few things (she was the straw and I was the camel) and I was very low for a good couple of months (this was about 1.5 years into our time here).

Hubby hit the low point after about a year simply because he does not have the freedom to pop to the pub for a quick pint anymore and have a yarn with friends and other patrons. He's Irish and social chatting is a big part of keeping him happy - that and the beer obviously. Again, this coincided with work problems so he probably got lower than he would normally have. It passed in a few weeks but he still misses that easy interaction with others. We're rural so its not so easy just to pop down the boozer anymore!

So for us - it was tiny little things that suddenly kicked off a bigger reaction. But so far, neither of us have even slightly wanted to go back.
BE Enthusiast

joelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to behold

I've been here a year in Sept and i'm really feeling it at the moment. I've had small bouts of it here and there but i'm having a major bout now.
My MIL was here for all of July and since she went back i've been really unsettled. I think we need a trip back and I keep looking at flights but it's so bloody expensive this time of year, and theres 5 of us and we'd have to hire a car, so it's impossible.
Canada is a lot more expensive place to live and i keep comparing it's down sides with Britain upsides.

I keep telling myself, it'll pass but who knows.

Jo xx
Old Aug 15th 2007, 4:36 pm
Immigration Consultant

Originally Posted by joelsa
I've been here a year in Sept and i'm really feeling it at the moment. I've had small bouts of it here and there but i'm having a major bout now.
My MIL was here for all of July and since she went back i've been really unsettled. I think we need a trip back and I keep looking at flights but it's so bloody expensive this time of year, and theres 5 of us and we'd have to hire a car, so it's impossible.
Canada is a lot more expensive place to live and i keep comparing it's down sides with Britain upsides.

I keep telling myself, it'll pass but who knows.

Jo xx
That's the other option - a trip back will probably cure them too, but the home video option is much cheaper
Old Aug 15th 2007, 4:40 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

That is very true, my Wife made the mistake of calling her best friend in the UK who unknown to us was having a BBQ at home. It just so happened that all of her other friends were also at the BBQ and the phone was passed around to everyone and by the time she finished the conversation she burst out crying as she was missing them all so much.
My day was hell after that :curse:

Top tip = do not call home if you are feeling homesick as it will make you even worse.
Old Aug 15th 2007, 4:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oh dear,its have a go at truckers day Look if you're going to miss what ya leaving,then why leave??? Am i to pragmatic ?? I left UK 22yrs ago to start a new life in Switzerland,and loved it there. Now i'm here,not because i had too because i want too. I''m not running away from crime,bad weather,unemployment,terrorism or any of the daily going ons in the UK. Those seem to be the main reassons in BE for leaving UK. This is now my home and i'm not sick of it. We all make our own choices in life,we have only our selves to blame. It's not a macho trucker thing whats ya name 666 its my philossophy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.