Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Homeless Man in Vancouver....

Homeless Man in Vancouver....

Old Apr 8th 2008, 10:50 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Homeless Man in Vancouver....

Who saw the article on the homeless man in Vancouver that had his wordly goods thrown into the back of the garbage truck, whilst the Global film crew filmed it all?

Did you see the update on him tonight? I was completely shocked to see he had a wealthy sister, who lives in a large house but won't let him stay with her as she would be "enabling him"! She will give him money though....probably to go away!

I just could not believe how mean she was.

Discuss!
Old Apr 8th 2008, 11:11 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Homeless Man in Vancouver....

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
Who saw the article on the homeless man in Vancouver that had his wordly goods thrown into the back of the garbage truck, whilst the Global film crew filmed it all?

Did you see the update on him tonight? I was completely shocked to see he had a wealthy sister, who lives in a large house but won't let him stay with her as she would be "enabling him"! She will give him money though....probably to go away!

I just could not believe how mean she was.

Discuss!
Hard to comment she obviously has known him longer than we have.

She may have an excellent point she is his sister after all and has known him all her life. We know nothing of how he lives other than he is homeless.

Then again she may be as mean as you say.

Who knows?

Unless we know the complete history of their situation who are we to comment?

Last edited by Steve_P; Apr 8th 2008 at 11:24 pm.
Old Apr 8th 2008, 11:24 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Hard to comment she obviously has known him longer than we have.

She may have an excellent point she is his sister after all and has known him all her life. We know nothing of how he lives other than he is homeless.

Then again she may be as mean as you say.

Who knows?

Unless we know the complete history of their situation who are we to comment?
All very true - I just can't see how anyone could have a member of their family around at their house, and then wave them off at the end of the night knowing they will be sleeping rough.

Though, like you say, she has known him all her life!
Old Apr 8th 2008, 11:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Steve. We would have to know more about the story - as his sister obviously does. Perhaps he is capable of fending for himself but if she gives him money he doesn't bother. You never know. You have to walk in someone's shoes before you really know what their life is like.
Old Apr 8th 2008, 11:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

I have a brother who has been extremely 'challenging' at times. Not sure I would see him sleeping rough, but I couldn't live with him either. You'd have to have been there and heard many conversations over the years to get an feeling for the history that passes between us
Old Apr 8th 2008, 11:33 pm
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
All very true - I just can't see how anyone could have a member of their family around at their house, and then wave them off at the end of the night knowing they will be sleeping rough.

Though, like you say, she has known him all her life!
On the face of it, it does sound appalling doesn't it? But....he may be a long-lost brother that she knew nothing about, or he may be a brother who perpetrated some dastardly deed against her or another member of the family? I have a close friend who will have nothing at all to do with his younger brother because he (the younger brother) robbed their mother of her life savings, and has absolutely no remorse.
We all tend to think that we each live lives similar to our own, and then are shocked when something dark and nasty is found lurking.
Personally I hate to see homeless people begging on the street, and find the inability to help in a constructive way upsetting.
Old Apr 8th 2008, 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by oldbag
On the face of it, it does sound appalling doesn't it? But....he may be a long-lost brother that she knew nothing about, or he may be a brother who perpetrated some dastardly deed against her or another member of the family? I have a close friend who will have nothing at all to do with his younger brother because he (the younger brother) robbed their mother of her life savings, and has absolutely no remorse.
We all tend to think that we each live lives similar to our own, and then are shocked when something dark and nasty is found lurking.
Personally I hate to see homeless people begging on the street, and find the inability to help in a constructive way upsetting.

You are right. It was just the shock of seeing him sitting at her piano and then thinking that he would be back on the street sleeping rough hours later. Pulled at my heartstrings I spose!
Old Apr 8th 2008, 11:42 pm
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

Street people are there for a reason, usually drug or alcohol abuse, sometimes mental problems, but a lot seem to substance dependent.

Sometimes tough love is the only way, as she said, she did not want to enable him, addicts often have to hit rock bottom before they crawl their way up again (if they are lucky).

I've always been a great supporter of the Salvation Army, they really do help the disspossed, and their missing persons operation is second to none. So if you want to help the homeless, drop a few dollars in the Sally Ann collection box at Xmas.
Old Apr 8th 2008, 11:55 pm
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MB-Realtor
Street people are there for a reason, usually drug or alcohol abuse, sometimes mental problems, but a lot seem to substance dependent.

Sometimes tough love is the only way, as she said, she did not want to enable him, addicts often have to hit rock bottom before they crawl their way up again (if they are lucky).

I've always been a great supporter of the Salvation Army, they really do help the disspossed, and their missing persons operation is second to none. So if you want to help the homeless, drop a few dollars in the Sally Ann collection box at Xmas.

Good suggestion, M-B; when I first arrived here I bought some of my smaller household things from their thrift stores, which I'm still using: iron, hair dryer, hand mixer; I buy books and gardening magazines, then donate stuff I'm done with......in fact, as I'm packing up to go back "home" I've already got three boxes of clothes, books and kitchen stuff to donate.
What goes around comes around
Old Apr 9th 2008, 12:08 am
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oldbag
What goes around comes around

Isn't that true.

We don't donate much to organised charities, most seem to actually do so little good for all the money they receive.

But I've always been impressed with the Salvation Army they go about their work with good humour and are only slightly "preachy". (and just so you know were I'm coming from, I hate organised religions even more then some charities, like many who have lost their faith I was "educated" in a religious school)

So ALL of our unwanted stuff, goes to them. I've always hated yard sales and their like, and this way I get rid of stuff and get to feel good about it.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 12:18 am
Islander

windward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to all

Woah there... Care to explain then how hundreds of ex-servicemen who end up living rough when they leave the forces fit into your assertion?

I wouldn't trust this rich woman anyway who lets her decisions on her brother be decided by what she hears Oprah say on the television anyway.

I'll make my own sweeping statement, the 'enabling' phenomena has come about because of the guilt felt by the wealthy over the appalling gap between themselves and the rest of society. That and the massive influence of a certain chat show host whose family really are nothing but scandalous moochers.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 12:25 am
RETIRED Realtor

Originally Posted by windward
Woah there... Care to explain then how hundreds of ex-servicemen who end up living rough when they leave the forces fit into your assertion?

Really, I'm surprised thats the case, I didn't know there was this problem in the UK.

Are these guys all perfectly healthy and able to hold down a normal job? Or are they damaged in ways we civilians will never (thankfully) know?
Old Apr 9th 2008, 12:32 am
Islander

windward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to all

Really, I'm surprised thats the case, I didn't know there was this problem in the UK.

Are these guys all perfectly healthy and able to hold down a normal job? Or are they damaged in ways we civilians will never (thankfully) know?
Ugh. Mostly it stems not from PTSD or substance abuse or anything like that, but from (usually) a man coming out from 22 years of having his life organised for him to having to do it himself. The Royal British Legion makes a big deal about it.

Or so I hear.

Granted a lot of people on the street aren't going to end up anywhere else no matter how much help you give them but damning each and every last one to a life in doorways is a bit much.

Lyrics from a tongue in cheek mp3 I heard a while back - Underwear Goes Inside Pants. Just for laffs.

"This homeless guy asked me for money the other day.
I was about to give it to him and then I thought he was going to use it on drugs or alcohol.
And then I thought, that's what I'm going to use it on.
Why am I judging this poor bastard.
People love to judge homeless guys. Like if you give them money they're just going to waste it.
Well, he lives in a box, what do you want him to do? Save it up and buy a wall unit?
Take a little run to the store for a throw rug and a CD rack? He's homeless.
I walked behind this guy the other day.
A homeless guy asked him for money.
He looks right at the homeless guy and says why don't you go get a job you bum.
People always say that to homeless guys like it is so easy.
This homeless guy was wearing his underwear outside his pants.
Outside his pants. I'm guessing his resume isn't all up to date.
I'm predicting some problems during the interview process.
I'm pretty sure even McDonalds has a "underwear goes inside the pants" policy.
Not that they enforce it really strictly, but technically I'm sure it is on the books."

http://www.lyricstop.com/u/underwear...s-lazyboy.html
Old Apr 9th 2008, 12:52 am
RETIRED Realtor

I can see where you are coming from Winward, and I don't disagree with you.

Strangely enough when I am asked "Man, give me some money, I need a drink" I am more inclined to give him my change, than the one who asks me for money for a coffee. I know if I were condemned to life on the street I would take ANY substance to diminish the shame/fear/discomfort/shear hell, of life on the streets.

Some people though do make it back, and manage to control their demons, but not without help. I've always felt the Salvation Army provides some of that help.