Help new puppy

Old Jan 2nd 2009, 11:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help new puppy

Originally Posted by ann m
Lesson to self - if you ever get another puppy ann, don't get one in the middle of winter in Canada
Oh God - I broke like a wet KitKat - why can't I heed my own advice?

Meet Honey !
Attached Thumbnails Help new puppy-p1020085.jpg  
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 11:55 am
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

Meet Honey !
oh sweeet!

What did you go out and get her immediately after giving that advice? LOL
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 12:34 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Re Jumping up;
Holding to the floor by the collar certainly works in some instances to correct unwanted behaviour. It's a technique I still use with Henry when he's being a teenager

But for an example this morning when I was walking Henry, he decided it was time to play Henry style. (Never got a ball when he's like this and it's only very occasional). This is a behaviour that is unwanted and happens out of the blue. It's like he gets the devil in him and he jumps and snatches at gloves (he only does it when gloves are worn). I tend to turn my back to him and ignore him and only when he has forgotten what it was all about do we move off. If he doesn't calm down quickly I will step on his lead as close to the collar as I can so he can't jump. I will release when the devil look goes out of his eyes.
I've been trying to do that, and when I come home, I dont greet him etc, but that doesnt really solve the problem with him jumping at the kids, jumping on the sofa etc.
He's actually just nearly killed himself- chewed through the coaxial cable to the TV. Me and my wife were sorting dinner out and only notcied when the kids were shouting the TV had gone off.
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 1:27 pm
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jericho
I've been trying to do that, and when I come home, I dont greet him etc, but that doesnt really solve the problem with him jumping at the kids, jumping on the sofa etc.
He's actually just nearly killed himself- chewed through the coaxial cable to the TV. Me and my wife were sorting dinner out and only notcied when the kids were shouting the TV had gone off.

I would be crating him when you go out, or at least contain him to a room where he can't get into trouble.
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 3:33 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Juswus
I would be crating him when you go out, or at least contain him to a room where he can't get into trouble.
Couldn't agree more. I lost one of my dobermans due to her chewing a piece of carpet.
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 2:01 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

He will soon learn about jumping up at the kids if they ignore him (he's just trying to play as he would with pack siblings, if they don't react at all then he'll get bored of the game), and for jumping on the sofa you need to teach an 'off' command so that if he tries to get up he'll follow your command to instantly jump down again. Be prepared for both to take a couple of months to sort though, training doesn't happen quickly with most pups!

And remember that he's a puppy and will therefore chew everything - you need to puppy proof your home just as you would for a baby. He has no idea what is a toy and what isn't, it's all natural behaviour. You can buy things to cover your electrical wires which are great.

And as a pp has said, if he's not already crated when you go out then that's a great idea. Crated dogs are usually much happier and better behaved, and I think you said in your first post that he's already been crate trained? It's not cruel at all, he will just see it as his 'den' (which a dog would naturally have in the wild) but will at least give you some peace of mind. Alternatively, you can buy dog gates if there is a room you could leave him in where he'll be safe?
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 2:03 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Meet Honey !

Awww, Honey, you're gorgeous!
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 8:16 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Have you told the kids to turn their backs and ignore him when he jumps up??? I'm sure you have and it's tough for kids but everyone has to follow the same rules. As for chewing - that can be a toughy. You can get a bitter apple spray to spray on items you don't want him to chew and also long lasting bones should help that problem. Thankfully we never had a chewing problem with anything apart from daughters flip flops

Good luck with all these suggestions everyones giving you. You'll have a great dog when your done

Honey your lovely
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 8:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Honey says "thanks for all the nice comments guys"

Honey also says she is glad she found her voice last night, after donning the silent and cute face all day - quote "those suckers really fell for it - but I showed them. I sang and woofed, and howled nearly all night long. God, I can't believe my own stamina, but I'm good, and I kept it up for hours. I even got that other fluffy pooch that seems to live here, to join me - oh, we had such fun. We've made a date to do it all again this evening. Hang on, why is my new mummy trying to gag me ...... "

Old Jan 3rd 2009, 8:38 am
lush

Honey also says she is glad she found her voice last night, after donning the silent and cute face all day - quote "those suckers really fell for it - but I showed them. I sang and woofed, and howled nearly all night long. God, I can't believe my own stamina, but I'm good, and I kept it up for hours. I even got that other fluffy pooch that seems to live here, to join me - oh, we had such fun. We've made a date to do it all again this evening. Hang on, why is my new mummy trying to gag me ...... "

Old Jan 3rd 2009, 10:05 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

So funny
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 11:56 am
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you told the kids to turn their backs and ignore him when he jumps up??? :
Cant do that really. My eldest is 3, the youngest 20 months. He knocks them over when he jumps at them, and it often leads to tears....
We've definitely made strides with the house training this last couple of days. No accidents in 3 days so far.....
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 12:50 pm

Hmmm, OK. Just an idea, how about trying to teach the dog that when the kiddies are around, he should lay down or something. Oh I have no idea, maybe someone else with kids and a dog can help with this one
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 1:38 pm
lush

We've definitely made strides with the house training this last couple of days. No accidents in 3 days so far.....

way to go!!!!!
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 3:16 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm, OK. Just an idea, how about trying to teach the dog that when the kiddies are around, he should lay down or something.
Next week's lesson: How to train teenagers to do their chores without being told to!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.