Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

has the time come for a black santa ?

has the time come for a black santa ?

Old Dec 17th 2013, 4:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: has the time come for a black santa ?

Originally Posted by Shard
So were there no presents under the tree until Christmas Day (while the kids believed)? And how did it work out with different aged kids (with one still believing)?
There were no presents under the tree and no sight of any presents at all under the big day.

The older ones kept mum.
Old Dec 17th 2013, 4:19 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
There were no presents under the tree and no sight of any presents at all under the big day.

The older ones kept mum.
Interesting. Is that method fairly commonplace?
Old Dec 17th 2013, 5:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Interesting. Is that method fairly commonplace?
Who knows? This is what happened to me when I was a kid and what happened in my wife's home too. We simply continued the theme with our kids.
Old Dec 17th 2013, 5:34 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Who knows? This is what happened to me when I was a kid and what happened in my wife's home too. We simply continued the theme with our kids.
Pretty much the same here too.
Old Dec 17th 2013, 5:35 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Our household is similar. Santa brings a stocking, which the kids open first thing. Other presents don't appear under the tree until Christmas Eve night, after the kids have gone to bed, but they are not "from" Santa - they are from other family members. Our eldest has never overtly denied Santa's existence (probably for fear the stocking might not appear...) and indulges in a willing suspension of disbelief for the sake of younger siblings.

None of this North American "milk and cookies" crap for Santa, either - in our house the big man has a decent glass of port and a couple of mince pies left out for him.

Growing up, my family was a bit too traditional for my tastes. We didn't get to open our presents til after lunch (the morning was taken up with church services and peeling a mountain of potatoes) and had to finish the task before the Queen came on the telly. No such nonsense now - depending on when any guests arrive, the present unwrapping gets going midmorning - they're all handed around from under the tree, then we take it in turns to open one each, youngest to oldest, until they're all done (and the most spoilt child is the one still going at the end...)
Old Dec 17th 2013, 5:42 pm
Forum Regular

koalabear1 has a reputation beyond reputekoalabear1 has a reputation beyond reputekoalabear1 has a reputation beyond reputekoalabear1 has a reputation beyond reputekoalabear1 has a reputation beyond reputekoalabear1 has a reputation beyond reputekoalabear1 has a reputation beyond reputekoalabear1 has a reputation beyond reputekoalabear1 has a reputation beyond reputekoalabear1 has a reputation beyond reputekoalabear1 has a reputation beyond repute

The teacher in the article is a complete idiot. How can a non-existent entity be a particular skin colour and not any other? Of course Santa can be any colour, but the most outrageous part of the story is that the teacher ridiculed the boy. A mixture of idiocy and racism I reckon.

It's sort of like Jesus being a red head. People in the region he supposedly lived in are rather dark skinned, so how come he isn't in the pictures?

I think we need multiple and diverse Santas including black, brown, Japanese, ones who use sign language (not fake LOL), short, fat, tall, etc etc why not, it'd be fun.

I think that teacher should be sacked actually.
Old Dec 17th 2013, 6:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Our household is similar. Santa brings a stocking, which the kids open first thing. Other presents don't appear under the tree until Christmas Eve night, after the kids have gone to bed, but they are not "from" Santa - they are from other family members. Our eldest has never overtly denied Santa's existence (probably for fear the stocking might not appear...) and indulges in a willing suspension of disbelief for the sake of younger siblings.
Our presents were labelled so that the children believed that Santa had obtained them from relatives and then delivered them on their behalf. We learned our lesson when our oldest was very young. At that time they were all from "Santa." He opened them and then said, "Those were from Santa, where are the ones from you?"

None of this North American "milk and cookies" crap for Santa, either - in our house the big man has a decent glass of port and a couple of mince pies left out for him.
Whiskey, mince pies and carrot for Rudolf!

Growing up, my family was a bit too traditional for my tastes. We didn't get to open our presents til after lunch (the morning was taken up with church services and peeling a mountain of potatoes) and had to finish the task before the Queen came on the telly. No such nonsense now - depending on when any guests arrive, the present unwrapping gets going midmorning - they're all handed around from under the tree, then we take it in turns to open one each, youngest to oldest, until they're all done (and the most spoilt child is the one still going at the end...)
I had to do the religious thing when I was a kid, but I don't recall ever having to sit through Liz's speech.

We get up when the first child wakes and open presents in a very uncoordinated fashion. Your method is far more civilised
Old Dec 17th 2013, 6:08 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by koalabear1
The teacher in the article is a complete idiot. How can a non-existent entity be a particular skin colour and not any other? Of course Santa can be any colour, but the most outrageous part of the story is that the teacher ridiculed the boy. A mixture of idiocy and racism I reckon.

It's sort of like Jesus being a red head. People in the region he supposedly lived in are rather dark skinned, so how come he isn't in the pictures?

I think we need multiple and diverse Santas including black, brown, Japanese, ones who use sign language (not fake LOL), short, fat, tall, etc etc why not, it'd be fun.

I think that teacher should be sacked actually
Wow I say....where did you come from? I'll like to see more of you round here, and are you single?

You are bang on, and I concur with your "sack the teacher" opinion. I went on to say how can you ever trust a teacher like that with the grading of minority kids work?

Am hard pushed to think his comments and beliefs are just reserved for fictional characters like Santa
Old Dec 17th 2013, 6:13 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ultrarunner
Am hard pushed to think his comments and beliefs are just reserved for fictional characters like Santa
What are his beliefs?
Old Dec 17th 2013, 6:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond repute

This is about perception. My Santa is white because the image I had as a child was Santa as a white man. I would like to know how a black or Asian person thought Santa looked like when he or she was a child, I suspect it would not be different today. Perhaps coca cola should have a black Santa on the side of the truck, what is the big deal. And the teacher should have thought before speaking, his image as a child was one of a white Santa world. What is wrong with that. Holidays are coming....
Old Dec 17th 2013, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

koalabear1 has a reputation beyond reputekoalabear1 has a reputation beyond reputekoalabear1 has a reputation beyond reputekoalabear1 has a reputation beyond reputekoalabear1 has a reputation beyond reputekoalabear1 has a reputation beyond reputekoalabear1 has a reputation beyond reputekoalabear1 has a reputation beyond reputekoalabear1 has a reputation beyond reputekoalabear1 has a reputation beyond reputekoalabear1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ultrarunner
Wow I say....where did you come from? I'll like to see more of you round here, and are you single?

You are bang on, and I concur with your "sack the teacher" opinion. I went on to say how can you ever trust a teacher like that with the grading of minority kids work?

Haha, glad you liked my comments

I agree with you too: Of course the teacher is fundamentally racist, or (s)he (can't remember their gender two hours and some wine later) wouldn't have minded seeing a black child dressing up as Santa.

The world needs to grow up and accept we are all different, it's nice we are anyway.
Old Dec 17th 2013, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Yorkiechef
This is about perception. My Santa is white because the image I had as a child was Santa as a white man. I would like to know how a black or Asian person thought Santa looked like when he or she was a child, I suspect it would not be different today. Perhaps coca cola should have a black Santa on the side of the truck, what is the big deal. And the teacher should have thought before speaking, his image as a child was one of a white Santa world. What is wrong with that. Holidays are coming....

Ok, your Santa is white, and the teacher's was too, that's fine, the image of Santa I've got is also of a fat old white man with a white beard and twinkling eyes.

BUT the case in question was a black child dressing up as Santa and the teacher not allowing it simply because he was black and Santa is supposedly white.

That is what is wrong, and in my view absolutely unacceptable for a teacher to do.

...I mean Santa doesn't even exist so what grounds has anyone for saying a black person can't dress up as Santa?

If you want to be realistic to the extent of that idiotic teacher, then hire a Sami grandfather from the North of Norway and get in an interpreter because a man living in isolation in the North Pole is not going to understand English.

Oh and while you're at it, children can't possibly do nativity plays any more because 5 year-olds aren't realistic parents....
Old Dec 17th 2013, 8:52 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

The world needs to grow up and accept we are all different, it's nice we are anyway.
I hope some BE members are listening here
Old Dec 17th 2013, 10:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond repute

I think that teacher should be sacked actually.
Not surprising that teachers feel they are walking on eggshells.

If they had told the kid "You do know that the modern image of Santa, in Western society, is primarily as a result of numerous advertising campaigns, by various companies over many years, and he is usually portrayed as an image of a old, fat, white guy but he doesn't really exist" just think how many reasons you could come up with there for getting the teacher sacked.

Racism, ageism, fatism, sexism, promoting soft drinks, telling kids the truth...the list is endless.
Old Dec 18th 2013, 12:10 am
Banned

Originally Posted by TheCreature
Not surprising that teachers feel they are walking on eggshells.

If they had told the kid "You do know that the modern image of Santa, in Western society, is primarily as a result of numerous advertising campaigns, by various companies over many years, and he is usually portrayed as an image of a old, fat, white guy but he doesn't really exist" just think how many reasons you could come up with there for getting the teacher sacked.

Racism, ageism, fatism, sexism, promoting soft drinks, telling kids the truth...the list is endless.
Bold: Nah, there are a numbers of reasons why teachers think they are walking on egg shells, and this barely makes the list. How about the following:

1. Parents blaming teachers that their kids aren't doing well

2. Having a go at teachers for a note that was sent home about kid's behaviour

3. Parents having a go at the school for proposing school uniform

4. et al

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.