Harvey Weinstein

Old Nov 1st 2017, 1:07 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Harvey Weinstein

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
The problem is this: I accuse you of raping me 20 years ago. I have no evidence that you did and I have no real excuse as to why I didn't report it at the time, I simply say that I didn't believe that anyone would believe me.

I post it all over twitter and facebook and, by the time it comes to trial, your life has been ruined, even if you are completely and totally exonerated.

Is that justice?

If the accused did it, put them on trial and let the jury decide but, until such time that the jury has done so, naming the accused is not fair at all particularly when, if the accused is exonerated, the accuser still remains anonymous.

I'm not sure that anyone accused of a crime should have their name made public until found guilty or at least brought to trial.

Terminology is important. When talking of a criminal case involving rape or sexual assault surely the accuser is the Crown and not an individual? A person who has been beaten up is referred to as the victim and not an accuser. Why is this different for sexual assault victims?

The question shouldn't be whether or not they were raped but whether or not the defendent did it.
Old Nov 1st 2017, 1:22 am
Forum Regular

daveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats

The question shouldn't be whether or not they were raped but whether or not the defendent did it.
Surely the question should be whether or not they were raped.

If this is proved then we move on to whether or not the defendant did it.
Old Nov 1st 2017, 7:59 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daveincolchester
Surely the question should be whether or not they were raped.

If this is proved then we move on to whether or not the defendant did it.
Of course there will be no evidence at this stage unless they have a report from a hospital.
Old Nov 1st 2017, 3:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure that anyone accused of a crime should have their name made public until found guilty or at least brought to trial.

Terminology is important. When talking of a criminal case involving rape or sexual assault surely the accuser is the Crown and not an individual? A person who has been beaten up is referred to as the victim and not an accuser. Why is this different for sexual assault victims?

The Crown is the prosecutor, but, unless one is accused, the prosecutor cannot prosecute. Semantics at best, and I have no idea why you raised the point.

Frequently, the accused admits that sex occurred, but alleges it was consensual. So, "doing it" isn't really the issue, the issue is: was it a sexual assault?
Old Nov 1st 2017, 4:53 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

The Crown is the prosecutor, but, unless one is accused, the prosecutor cannot prosecute. Semantics at best, and I have no idea why you raised the point.

Frequently, the accused admits that sex occurred, but alleges it was consensual. So, "doing it" isn't really the issue, the issue is: was it a sexual assault?
yep, that's part of the problem.
Old Nov 1st 2017, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

jerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I'd be surprised if I read that in the Daily Mail but in what way is Ginger Spice cheap?

The shit of the day is called Anthony Rapp.

Thanks for clarifying, db33. At first I thought you were referring to the women. But I see that your context for this comment is the Spacey incident, whereby I can empathize with your perspective on that one.
Old Nov 1st 2017, 6:27 pm
Forum Regular

jerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond repute

The problem is this: I accuse you of raping me 20 years ago. I have no evidence that you did and I have no real excuse as to why I didn't report it at the time, I simply say that I didn't believe that anyone would believe me.

I post it all over twitter and facebook and, by the time it comes to trial, your life has been ruined, even if you are completely and totally exonerated.

Is that justice?

If the accused did it, put them on trial and let the jury decide but, until such time that the jury has done so, naming the accused is not fair at all particularly when, if the accused is exonerated, the accuser still remains anonymous.
Hi Almost Canadian

I understand and respect this position. In many circumstances, I agree - trial by media or by social media is unfair and not judicious.

However, I can't concur with you that in this case (Harvey Weinstein) this isn't that case. Having said that, yes, it's a slippery slope.

Nevertheless, 90+ women have now come forward. By coming forward, it's a shame cast on them (the women) - they gain nothing by doing that, and in my mind, I am glad this sick, sexual predator and rapist has been outed - given his considerable financial resources, legal team (who threatened women who dared to want to sue him), shady networks (journalists who work for him, the Manhattan DA who didn't prosecute him despite evidence and who then accepted $ from Weinstein's lawyer), the power dynamics -

This could not have happened any earlier for him. The question is when/if the legal system is able to prosecute him.

Sexual assault crimes are notoriously difficult to prosecute, especially once a day has passed, and the he said/she said nature of it, and the propensity of lawyers to diminish/smear/attack the victim, is the only reason people like Weinstein might still escape THAT sentence.

You once said OJ Simpson is innocent - again, I do not agree with you. The courts of law finding him innocent is different to factual reality because unlike you, I see a different context to the legal system.

Having said that, I fully agree with you that people are entitled to the presumption of innocence - and this is what you are arguing for. I can't disrespect that part, but just note my perspectives herein which account for discrepancies in action.

Cheers
Old Nov 1st 2017, 9:25 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
As for Julia H-B and Michael Fallon, it's a total non-story. It's just part and parcel of being adults in an environment like Westminster politics, which attracts the manipulative and encourages them to believe they are somehow special.
I thought that too, but Fallon has just resigned. He does seem the most unlikely flirt. Julia on the other hand...!
Old Nov 1st 2017, 10:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

yep, that's part of the problem.
I suggest that the problem is always assuming an accuser is a victim before the trial has taken place and the accused convicted.
Old Nov 1st 2017, 10:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by jerryhung
Sexual assault crimes are notoriously difficult to prosecute, especially once a day has passed, and the he said/she said nature of it, and the propensity of lawyers to diminish/smear/attack the victim, is the only reason people like Weinstein might still escape THAT sentence.
The evidence is weighed and the fact finder makes a decision as to whether the burden of proof has been met. If you have ever attended a sexual assault trial you will have noted that the lawyers have to be very careful with the questions that they ask the person allegedly assaulted.

Unfortunately, cross examination is deemed to be the best way to determine credibility.

I doubt any witness that has been cross examined enjoys the experience, whether they are involved in a sexual assault trial or any other trial.

What I can tell you is, despite what Hollywood would have us believe, if a witness tells the truth, there is precious little that a lawyer can do to really undermine them. Unfortunately, few witnesses are able to stick to the truth and, when they deviate, the lawyer makes them look foolish.

Originally Posted by jerryhung
You once said OJ Simpson is innocent - again, I do not agree with you. The courts of law finding him innocent is different to factual reality because unlike you, I see a different context to the legal system.
I have no opinion as to whether OJ Simpson is innocent. A jury acquitted him and that is all that matters.

Unfortunately, what you think really doesn't matter. The jury listened to all of the oral evidence, looked over all of the exhibits, and made their decision.
Old Nov 1st 2017, 11:09 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

The evidence is weighed and the fact finder makes a decision as to whether the burden of proof has been met. If you have ever attended a sexual assault trial you will have noted that the lawyers have to be very careful with the questions that they ask the person allegedly assaulted.

Unfortunately, cross examination is deemed to be the best way to determine credibility.

I doubt any witness that has been cross examined enjoys the experience, whether they are involved in a sexual assault trial or any other trial.

What I can tell you is, despite what Hollywood would have us believe, if a witness tells the truth, there is precious little that a lawyer can do to really undermine them. Unfortunately, few witnesses are able to stick to the truth and, when they deviate, the lawyer makes them look foolish.

I have no opinion as to whether OJ Simpson is innocent. A jury acquitted him and that is all that matters.

Unfortunately, what you think really doesn't matter. The jury listened to all of the oral evidence, looked over all of the exhibits, and made their decision.
Are you suggesting that every jury is infallible all the time?
Old Nov 1st 2017, 11:15 pm
limey party pooper

I suggest that the problem is always assuming an accuser is a victim before the trial has taken place and the accused convicted.
What do you call the parties in non sexual assault cases? Or burglary? Or theft? or fraud?
Old Nov 1st 2017, 11:18 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
I thought that too, but Fallon has just resigned. He does seem the most unlikely flirt. Julia on the other hand...!
There must be more to Fallon's resignation than just the JH-B knee story... who would resign over that?!
Old Nov 1st 2017, 11:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Shard
Are you suggesting that every jury is infallible all the time?
Of course not. What I am suggesting is that it matters not a jot what people on a forum like this think. The Court made its decision and, if there is not appeal, that is the end of the matter.
Old Nov 1st 2017, 11:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

What do you call the parties in non sexual assault cases? Or burglary? Or theft? or fraud?
The parties would be the State v The Defendant.

You can call the various witnesses whatever you wish to: the mother of the Defendant; the person accusing the defendant of the assault, whatever you want to. The Court usually calls them Mr. X, Ms. Y.

If you wish to, once a conviction has been obtained, you can change the names again if you wish to. Calling someone a rapist before they have been convicted is, IMVHO, too prejudicial, which is why the Court never refers to them as such.

Sometimes, Judges refer to the person you choose to call the victim as the complainant.

Last edited by Almost Canadian; Nov 1st 2017 at 11:44 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.