Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

GTAA (Go To Another Airport)

GTAA (Go To Another Airport)

Old May 6th 2022, 7:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default GTAA (Go To Another Airport)

So obviously Covid is over or is it?
Now my twisted sense of humour dictates that I am laughing at the scenes at Pearson airport. Who could not have foreseen this happening as well as the line up's at Passport and Service Canada offices.
Thankfully I am not travelling out of the country anytime soon and my passport still has 2 years left on it.
Imagine a traveller from the UK having to deal with Heathrow then a 7 hour plus flight then arriving at Pearson and if unlucky then spending another 3 hours on the tarmac before allowed off and then off to see CBSA.
Absolute madness I expect.
Old May 6th 2022, 7:57 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: GTAA (Go To Another Airport)

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Now my twisted sense of humour dictates that I am laughing at the scenes at Pearson airport. Who could not have foreseen this happening as well as the line up's at Passport and Service Canada offices.
Thankfully I am not travelling out of the country anytime soon and my passport still has 2 years left on it.
Imagine a traveller from the UK having to deal with Heathrow then a 7 hour plus flight then arriving at Pearson and if unlucky then spending another 3 hours on the tarmac before allowed off and then off to see CBSA.
Oh don't. We were talking about this the other day as we have to travel south in July. We were discussing whether it would be better to fly from the Islands and have a stopover or to hope Pearson has improved by then. It's a shitty airport at the best of times and last time they sent us off to another line with our dog and we had to wait ages there with the barking pet dogs until a CBSA officer came over and checked our paperwork and sent us on our way. Pretty sure we werent meant to be in that line up with a service dog.
Old May 6th 2022, 8:30 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Oh don't. We were talking about this the other day as we have to travel south in July. We were discussing whether it would be better to fly from the Islands and have a stopover or to hope Pearson has improved by then. It's a shitty airport at the best of times and last time they sent us off to another line with our dog and we had to wait ages there with the barking pet dogs until a CBSA officer came over and checked our paperwork and sent us on our way. Pretty sure we werent meant to be in that line up with a service dog.
Why wouldn't you fly from Buffalo? Stay overnight at the Holiday Inn and they'll park your car for a week. The whole deal is cheaper and less hassle than YYZ and you can go for wings
Old May 6th 2022, 11:06 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Why wouldn't you fly from Buffalo? Stay overnight at the Holiday Inn and they'll park your car for a week. The whole deal is cheaper and less hassle than YYZ and you can go for wings
We've done Buffalo before and it was fine but there aren't any direct flights, We are considering flying from Syracuse but it's Frontier Airlines which makes me think it will be staffed by people in fringed jackets wearing stetsons,

PS I don't eat wings, all that skin and gristle, yuck
Old May 7th 2022, 1:35 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

We've done Buffalo before and it was fine but there aren't any direct flights, We are considering flying from Syracuse but it's Frontier Airlines which makes me think it will be staffed by people in fringed jackets wearing stetsons,

PS I don't eat wings, all that skin and gristle, yuck
I've survived Frontier, last flight the announcer was a scouse, but Syracuse is hard to get to and scary when you're there. I suppose the local delicacy might be more palatable than wings, skunk or raccoon, or similar.

If one choice was Syracuse, I'd look at Detroit, cheap parking, lots of flights, soul food or Mexican before the flight.

Last edited by dbd33; May 7th 2022 at 1:37 am.
Old May 7th 2022, 2:22 am
limey party pooper

I've survived Frontier, last flight the announcer was a scouse, but Syracuse is hard to get to and scary when you're there. I suppose the local delicacy might be more palatable than wings, skunk or raccoon, or similar.

If one choice was Syracuse, I'd look at Detroit, cheap parking, lots of flights, soul food or Mexican before the flight.
That's 5 and a half hours from us non stop and we don't do non stop driving anymore. Or road trips, agh, what a misery, The choice seems to be Pearson and hope that they change whatever it is that's causing chaos. So that's pretty doubtful. We fly Porter with a stopover, or we drive. driving is boring but the border crossing is easier and better for the dog but not particularly kind on the humans.
Old May 7th 2022, 11:13 am
Assimilated Pauper

The choice seems to be Pearson and hope that they change whatever it is that's causing chaos.
That's one of those "faint hope" things, isn't it? Like detained at her majesty's pleasure.
Old May 7th 2022, 12:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

That's one of those "faint hope" things, isn't it? Like detained at her majesty's pleasure.
Well unless given a whole life sentence order most detained at her majesty's pleasure have a release date. One could argue that the security line up's also have a release date but no guarantee the plane you are waiting to catch will still be on the ground once released.
I wonder what the % of people are who do the following
Oh great I am vaccinated so I can fly again. Wow that looks a good deal $1200 one week all inclusive leaving in 3 weeks I am booking it. What do you mean it is taking so long to renew a passport I need it now and don't be criticizing the fact that I never bothered to check my passport validity before booking.

Yes eventually it should get better just don't ask when.
Old May 7th 2022, 12:20 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Well unless given a whole life sentence order most detained at her majesty's pleasure have a release date. One could argue that the security line up's also have a release date but no guarantee the plane you are waiting to catch will still be on the ground once released.
I wonder what the % of people are who do the following
Oh great I am vaccinated so I can fly again. Wow that looks a good deal $1200 one week all inclusive leaving in 3 weeks I am booking it. What do you mean it is taking so long to renew a passport I need it now and don't be criticizing the fact that I never bothered to check my passport validity before booking.

Yes eventually it should get better just don't ask when.
I have only used the Toronto airport since 1981. Every time I've been there it's been organized as if it's the very first day of operation. It may have been better before 1981 and it may be better one day but then Lord Lucan may ride by on Shergar.

It used to bother me, it got me down that it was quicker to drive to Chicago than to queue at the airport, but I've grown to accept chaos there as being charming in a way. They could contract out the management to the BAA or one of the American airport authorities and have it all run smoothly but those plucky Indians just keep plugging away hoping that somehow, someday, there will be a happy passenger. Robert the Bruce, spider, that sort of thing.
Old May 7th 2022, 4:45 pm
limey party pooper

We've decided to drive down. It's the best way really we've done it a few times but a few years ago.
Old May 18th 2022, 9:29 am
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

I was actually recently in London LHR and security as well as immigration was a real breeze. British, Canadian, US, Australian and Singapore citizens can also use the automatic gates, whilst EU citizens have to queue for a bit linger, but it's nothing compared to Pearson.

I've read about this chaos at YYZ Pearson airport. Long queues for those departing and long wait times, at immigration for those arriving, plus sitting on the tarmac for many hours prior to arriving.
I think lawmakers haven't understood that passengers should spend the minimum amount of time at airports to avoid any Covid infection. Immigration and the CBSA is probably totally understaffed, to deal with checking vaccination certificates.

Is this only Pearson airport or all other airports as well?

Would it be a credible choice to fly from Billy Bishop to the US and then onwards to Europe and vice versa? I've tried looking at flights where I can connect from Europe, coming into Toronto Billy Bishop using Porter airlines? However it doesn't seem to be possible to book on a single trip?

Any ideas on this?

Last edited by OrangeMango; May 18th 2022 at 9:31 am.
Old May 18th 2022, 9:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OrangeMango
I was actually recently in London LHR and security as well as immigration was a real breeze. British, Canadian, US, Australian and Singapore citizens can also use the automatic gates, whilst EU citizens have to queue for a bit linger, but it's nothing compared to Pearson.

I've read about this chaos at YYZ Pearson airport. Long queues for those departing and long wait times, at immigration for those arriving, plus sitting on the tarmac for many hours prior to arriving.
I think lawmakers haven't understood that passengers should spend the minimum amount of time at airports to avoid any Covid infection. Immigration and the CBSA is probably totally understaffed, to deal with checking vaccination certificates.

Is this only Pearson airport or all other airports as well?

Would it be a credible choice to fly from Billy Bishop to the US and then onwards to Europe and vice versa? I've tried looking at flights where I can connect from Europe, coming into Toronto Billy Bishop using Porter airlines? However it doesn't seem to be possible to book on a single trip?

Any ideas on this?
Best is to fly into BUF/DTW and drive to Toronto if you want to avoid YYZ.

Or, fly into YUL (Montreal) and take a domestic flight to YYZ.

I am flying back to YYZ on Saturday and am debating booking a dummy connecting flight to get me off the plane faster in the event of a delay.
Old May 18th 2022, 9:36 am
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit

Or, fly into YUL (Montreal) and take a domestic flight to YYZ.
I did that once, KLM to Montreal and Westjet to Toronto, arrived at the domestic terminal, everything was "a breeze". This was a couple of months before the pandemic.

So the domestic terminal at YYZ is not affected by these issues at all?
Old May 18th 2022, 9:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OrangeMango
I did that once, KLM to Montreal and Westjet to Toronto, arrived at the domestic terminal, everything was "a breeze". This was a couple of months before the pandemic.

So the domestic terminal at YYZ is not affected by these issues at all?
One would assume not as the current backlog due to all the persistent covid checks and resurgence in demand is for international travel, not domestic. There is no customs check, arrivecan, or anything on arrival from a domestic flight, that would all be done in YUL.
Old May 18th 2022, 9:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gozit
One would assume not as the current backlog due to all the persistent covid checks and resurgence in demand is for international travel, not domestic. There is no customs check, arrivecan, or anything on arrival from a domestic flight, that would all be done in YUL.
Yes, that would make sense. And in YUL and the other international airports they don't have that problem at all? like keeping planes for hours on the tarmac? or endless queues at immigration? It's really only YYZ?

Last edited by OrangeMango; May 18th 2022 at 9:52 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.