Groceries

Old Apr 25th 2015, 5:32 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

Originally Posted by Shirtback
Ours is once a week. We're getting close to the seams . Summer is always a bit easier however. Thankfully we get lots of (too many) healthy vegetables, enough fruit, and not *too* much junk food, although there's a freezer crammed full of pogos at the moment ...

One of our major problems is refrigeration/freezer space for storage of perishables . Also, the perceived stigma of using a food bank, particularly amongst the elderly, and those recently unemployed.
It took me a while to actually go the first time, that is the hardest part.
Old Apr 25th 2015, 8:53 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Food banks seem such an inefficient way of distributing food to those in need. Not there should be any in need in rich countries like Canada and Britain. Surely some sort of voucher system would be better.

Not meaning to criticise your valuable contribution shirtback, I just think there must be a better system.
Old Apr 25th 2015, 10:06 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Food banks seem such an inefficient way of distributing food to those in need. Not there should be any in need in rich countries like Canada and Britain. Surely some sort of voucher system would be better.

Not meaning to criticise your valuable contribution shirtback, I just think there must be a better system.
I was perplexed and still am that Canada has no government food program. The US has their food stamp program, the exact rules vary by state however, and most if not all no longer actually use stamps.

California uses electronic debit cards that can be used for specific types of things in certain stores and food places. If you go into a grocery store in California they will have little stickers on the price tags for items that qualify.

I know without food stamps, and schools offering free/reduced breakfast (usually only the poorest get breakfast) and lunch, a lot of kids would end up not eating enough and going without.

It's not a perfect and has it's flaws like any program, but I think the system as a whole is more valuable then the small % that might abuse it.

In Canada the government figures they give people a few hundred bucks in welfare so that is sufficient. BC for example is 610 per month, most of which will go to rent.

I make it a habit of buying a few items each trip to add to the food bank box. I often get free coupons for things like diaper's or other baby products and will go and use those coupons and donate those types of things as well. I look for coupons for free pet food as well for the SPCA.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Apr 25th 2015 at 10:08 am.
Old Apr 25th 2015, 10:10 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I was perplexed and still am that Canada has no government food program. The US has their food stamp program, the exact rules vary by state however, and most if not all no longer actually use stamps.

California uses electronic debit cards that can be used for specific types of things in certain stores and food places. If you go into a grocery store in California they will have little stickers on the price tags for items that qualify.

I know without food stamps, and schools offering free/reduced breakfast (usually only the poorest get breakfast) and lunch, a lot of kids would end up not eating enough and going without.

It's not a perfect and has it's flaws like any program, but I think the system as a whole is more valuable then the small % that might abuse it.

In Canada the government figures they give people a few hundred bucks in welfare so that is sufficient. BC for example is 610 per month, most of which will go to rent.

I make it a habit of buying a few items each trip to add to the food bank box. I often get free coupons for things like diaper's or other baby products and will go and use those coupons and donate those types of things as well. I look for coupons for free pet food as well for the SPCA.

Debit cards are a good idea. But the US has actual food banks too, doesn't it? Or does it depend on state.
Old Apr 25th 2015, 10:24 am
Account Closed

Debit cards are a good idea. But the US has actual food banks too, doesn't it? Or does it depend on state.
Yeah food banks exist as well. San Diego for example has a pretty large food bank that offers a slew of different services beyond just food.

Food Bank Programs

There is also meals on wheels for seniors, it's not free, but 2 meals delivered each day for $7.
Old Apr 25th 2015, 11:17 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Food banks seem such an inefficient way of distributing food to those in need. Not there should be any in need in rich countries like Canada and Britain....I just think there must be a better system.
There used to be but then the government began dismantling it.

There were always organisations dotted about who gave out food but it was for immediate need only, not the standard issue it appears to have become in the UK.
Old Apr 25th 2015, 11:22 am
Yo

Originally Posted by BristolUK
There used to be but then the government began dismantling it.

There were always organisations dotted about who gave out food but it was for immediate need only, not the standard issue it appears to have become in the UK.
Yes, I think I heard a statistic that usage has gone up from 40,000 annual visits a decade ago to a million now. Kudos to Ian Duncan Smith.
Old Apr 25th 2015, 1:09 pm
Account Closed

Most recent food report on food banks in Canada, only comprehensive report done on food bank use.

841,000 people per month across Canada utilize a food bank.

http://www.foodbankscanada.ca/getmed....aspx?ext=.pdf
Old Apr 25th 2015, 2:27 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Some foodbanks also offer a lifeskills program that teaches how to cook basic nutritious meals and budget to try and make ends meet on low income. The Regina foodbank at one time had expanded this to get clients certified as employable commercial cooks (they ran a low-cost restaurant at the foodbank) but I think that course died some years ago.
Old Apr 25th 2015, 5:46 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by caretaker
Some foodbanks also offer a lifeskills program that teaches how to cook basic nutritious meals and budget to try and make ends meet on low income. The Regina foodbank at one time had expanded this to get clients certified as employable commercial cooks (they ran a low-cost restaurant at the foodbank) but I think that course died some years ago.
Food poisoning?
Old Apr 25th 2015, 6:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Food poisoning?
Lol! Unfortunately, more probably funding cuts
Old Apr 25th 2015, 7:29 pm
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

Using Transit limited our options so we tended to go to the local grocery store, now that we have a car we now do a lot of shopping at Costco. It makes sense to buy in bulk if your not using transit lol
Old May 4th 2015, 2:29 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Slightly old thread, but I was at Costco earlier this week, and paid a bit more attention to a few of the prices - a few I jotted down:

Boneless, skinless chicken breast - $13.99/kg (and last week they had a special of $5 off the pack)
Boneless, skinless chicken thighs - $5.59/kg
Lean ground turkey - $9.89/kg

Comparing to what I can find on Grocery Gateway...

Chicken breast, Maple Leaf Value Pack, $22.13/kg; Mina Halal $19.33/kg
Chicken thigh, Maple Leaf Value Pack, $16.52/kg; Mina Halal (with skin) $8.80/kg
Ground Turkey, Maple Leaf, 454g package, $6.49 (so about $14/kg)

I downloaded an app called Flipp that groups together a load of flyers from various grocery stores and such, so I searched the above 3 items to see what sale prices were.

Chicken breast - Food Basics, $12.96/kg, Fortinos $8.80/kg, Loblaws $13.21/kg
Chicken thighs - Loblaws, Fortinos $15.41/kg, Sobeys $14.31/kg
Ground turkey - Metro $12/kg; Superstore $10.54/kg

So the sale prices for breasts are pretty competitive; thighs and ground turkey are better off from Costco. Something to be said as well that for the marginal price difference from Costco, I'd still buy it there to avoid making a second trip - it probably evens out when you factor in the gas to get to another shop, plus the time required to make the extra stop.

Also, I paid more attention to the tenderloin I bought this week. Bought a bigass one for $99.50, can't remember what that was per kg and I didn't keep the tag, sorry! However, I got 15 pretty thick-cut steaks out of it (all 1.5-2 inches thick), plus a few dregs and trimmings that I'll use in a stew or a soup or something for flavour (you can see part of the pile in the bottom left corner). The last time I bought a tenderloin was when we moved into the house, so about 6 months ago, and I still have 4 steaks left from that first one... we don't have steak THAT often, but when we do, we like to have the good cut.
Attached Thumbnails Groceries-steak.png  

Last edited by SchnookoLoly; May 4th 2015 at 3:00 pm.
Old May 4th 2015, 3:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
Slightly old thread, but I was at Costco earlier this week, and paid a bit more attention to a few of the prices - a few
Just joined Costco in the UK, my colleagues find my love of that place amusing
Old May 4th 2015, 3:35 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChrisBan
Just joined Costco in the UK, my colleagues find my love of that place amusing
I am jealous of the cheese you can buy there. Last time I was there they had the Coastal Cheddar, which I ADORE...... if you haven't had it, I HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend it!!

FYI your Costco membership is good worldwide.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.