Groceries

Old May 4th 2015, 3:40 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

There were a bunch of sales last week so I loaded up the freezing compartment. No Frills had chicken thighs for $2/lb, Independent had leg with back attached for $2/lb and a sale on pork chops and club pak sausages. First pork chops I've bought in forever.
Old May 4th 2015, 3:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
I am jealous of the cheese you can buy there. Last time I was there they had the Coastal Cheddar, which I ADORE...... if you haven't had it, I HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend it!!

FYI your Costco membership is good worldwide.
The muffins too will certainly look out for the cheese on my next visit this week. All sorts of other dangerous things in there like cheap cheap cases of pretty reasonable wines! Could equally be the best and worse thing I've signed up for haha!

Cheers, the girlfriend has already penciled in a Costco visit when I'm in TO next month visiting her
Old May 4th 2015, 5:25 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Chicken breast, Maple Leaf Value Pack, $22.13/kg;
Chicken thigh, Maple Leaf Value Pack, $16.52/kg
I don't think Maple Leaf and Value belong in the same sentence.
Their chicken prices are routinely near double that of the alternatives - Blue Goose excepted.
Old May 4th 2015, 7:38 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Slightly old thread, but I was at Costco earlier this week, and paid a bit more attention to a few of the prices - a few I jotted down:

Boneless, skinless chicken breast - $13.99/kg (and last week they had a special of $5 off the pack)
Boneless, skinless chicken thighs - $5.59/kg
Lean ground turkey - $9.89/kg

Comparing to what I can find on Grocery Gateway...

Chicken breast, Maple Leaf Value Pack, $22.13/kg; Mina Halal $19.33/kg
Chicken thigh, Maple Leaf Value Pack, $16.52/kg; Mina Halal (with skin) $8.80/kg
Ground Turkey, Maple Leaf, 454g package, $6.49 (so about $14/kg)

I downloaded an app called Flipp that groups together a load of flyers from various grocery stores and such, so I searched the above 3 items to see what sale prices were.

Chicken breast - Food Basics, $12.96/kg, Fortinos $8.80/kg, Loblaws $13.21/kg
Chicken thighs - Loblaws, Fortinos $15.41/kg, Sobeys $14.31/kg
Ground turkey - Metro $12/kg; Superstore $10.54/kg

So the sale prices for breasts are pretty competitive; thighs and ground turkey are better off from Costco. Something to be said as well that for the marginal price difference from Costco, I'd still buy it there to avoid making a second trip - it probably evens out when you factor in the gas to get to another shop, plus the time required to make the extra stop.

Also, I paid more attention to the tenderloin I bought this week. Bought a bigass one for $99.50, can't remember what that was per kg and I didn't keep the tag, sorry! However, I got 15 pretty thick-cut steaks out of it (all 1.5-2 inches thick), plus a few dregs and trimmings that I'll use in a stew or a soup or something for flavour (you can see part of the pile in the bottom left corner). The last time I bought a tenderloin was when we moved into the house, so about 6 months ago, and I still have 4 steaks left from that first one... we don't have steak THAT often, but when we do, we like to have the good cut.

I'd try and compare, but I only know the price per pound around here, I never read the tiny tiny small per kg price the stores hide in the bottom corner.

Only chicken advertised this week were whole at 2.49/lb No brand, they just come in a generic plastic bag.

Pork chops again no brand 5.99 per pound.

Chicken breasts while not on flyer, generally run 12 to 15 dollars for anywhere from 3-4 breasts.
Old May 4th 2015, 7:43 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I'd try and compare, but I only know the price per pound around here, I never read the tiny tiny small per kg price the stores hide in the bottom corner.

Only chicken advertised this week were whole at 2.49/lb No brand, they just come in a generic plastic bag.

Pork chops again no brand 5.99 per pound.

Chicken breasts while not on flyer, generally run 12 to 15 dollars for anywhere from 3-4 breasts.
Multiply by 2.2046 to get the price in kg - I converted a bunch of mine as some were in lb and some were in kg.

$5.99/lb is $13.21/kg.
Old May 4th 2015, 7:48 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

I am not convinced on Costco ever

Fresco this week canned Red sockeye Salmon product of Canada 213g can $2.49

No Frills 454g strawberries $2.00 - real nice they are too.

Blue sky supermarket (one of my favourite ethnic crocery stores) in store special 'chicken thighs' $1.99/Ib ($4.44/KG)

Also at the same supermarket - Plump juicy Red Hothouse tomatoes $0.87Ib/ $1.91/kg

Of course with price matching in the GTA the crocery bill has to be way cheaper than Costco?

Next thing is 'yes, but Costco has cheaper gasoline'
Old May 4th 2015, 7:54 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
I am not convinced on Costco ever

Fresco this week canned Red sockeye Salmon product of Canada 213g can $2.49

No Frills 454g strawberries $2.00 - real nice they are too.

Blue sky supermarket (one of my favourite ethnic crocery stores) in store special 'chicken thighs' $1.99/Ib ($4.44/KG)

Also at the same supermarket - Plump juicy Red Hothouse tomatoes $0.87Ib/ $1.91/kg

Of course with price matching in the GTA the crocery bill has to be way cheaper than Costco?

Next thing is 'yes, but Costco has cheaper gasoline'
If I have to go to Freshco to get Salmon, then No Frills to get strawberries, then Blue Sky to get "thighs" (?) and tomatoes... vs getting it all at Costco... I'll do it all at Costco. I generally try to keep my stops to a minimum - I'll spend more in gas driving between them and splitting my grocery bill between 15 different places.

Each to their own, really. I find Costco saves me a ton of money beacuse I know they will be the cheapest, or damn close to it, regularly, instead of having to make multiple stops to find the rock bottom cheapest.
Old May 4th 2015, 8:11 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

At one end of town we have a Costco across the parking lot from Superstore and Sobeys/Walmart/Co-op/NB Liquor is on the way back.

At the other end of town is the big Mall with NB Liquor and Sobeys just across the street. Inside the Mall is a bigger Sobeys and a Walmart. On the way back from the mall is Superstore.

Off in another direction is another Sobeys next door to another Liquor store.

Maybe I'm just lucky here in that the competitors are really close together and really easy to drop in at more than one.

But in Quebec before we moved here it was much the same; a strip mall including Super C and Walmart and the car park included an exit into Loblaws and then Maxi was on the way home.
Old May 4th 2015, 8:15 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

If I have to go to Freshco to get Salmon, then No Frills to get strawberries, then Blue Sky to get "thighs" (?) and tomatoes... vs getting it all at Costco... I'll do it all at Costco. I generally try to keep my stops to a minimum - I'll spend more in gas driving between them and splitting my grocery bill between 15 different places.

Each to their own, really. I find Costco saves me a ton of money beacuse I know they will be the cheapest, or damn close to it, regularly, instead of having to make multiple stops to find the rock bottom cheapest.
Oh heck, lost in translation

I dont drive around wasting time & gas - 'I price match' - simply take all the flyers to the closest store & buy all the specials in one place
Old May 4th 2015, 8:18 pm
Concierge

I dont drive around wasting time & gas - 'I price match' - simply take all the flyers to the closest store & buy all the specials in one place
Ah I missed that the first time!

As I said, though, to each their own. I work 5 minutes from Costco and it's on my way home, and their regular prices are either cheap or pretty close to it (as evidenced by the price comparisons above) so instead of bothering to clip out of flyers and work out all of that, I'll just make one stop and do it all in one go without having to worry about it. Plus I find the Kirkland meat really good quality, and consistently reliable.
Old May 4th 2015, 8:26 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Multiply by 2.2046 to get the price in kg - I converted a bunch of mine as some were in lb and some were in kg.

$5.99/lb is $13.21/kg.
lol. Thanks. I was trying to convert but wasn't doing it right, but math is not my best skill....

kg even after 10 years makes no sense to me, even my Canadian born wife doesn't use kg for weight, and while my drivers license says kg, they ask for your weight in pounds....lol
Old May 4th 2015, 8:30 pm
Account Closed

Your lucky to have grocery stores that price match. Only store here that does is Wal-Mart but they don't have a grocery store, so its useless in this town...

Save On is 8 time out of 10 going to be the cheapest on the most common items, so I just go there and also because they have the best selection of food and nicest produce.
Old May 4th 2015, 8:32 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
lol. Thanks. I was trying to convert but wasn't doing it right, but math is not my best skill....

kg even after 10 years makes no sense to me, even my Canadian born wife doesn't use kg for weight, and while my drivers license says kg, they ask for your weight in pounds....lol
LOL I'm actually with you on that one. Some stuff I can only do in metric, like distances... other stuff I can only do in imperial, like weights and heights. A few of them I just have memorized (like I know my 5'7 height is 170cm or so)...
Old May 4th 2015, 8:32 pm
Dichotomus tinker

Originally Posted by caretaker
There were a bunch of sales last week so I loaded up the freezing compartment. No Frills had chicken thighs for $2/lb, Independent had leg with back attached for $2/lb and a sale on pork chops and club pak sausages. First pork chops I've bought in forever.
boneless pork loin on special this week at $1.99/Lb ($4.44/kg)

A 5Ib (2.3kG) piece is cut up into chop size 4oz (113g) pieces, cooked as chops or smashed flattened into schnitzels, even cube for kebebs & with so many things that can be done with the piece, it'll go far for two people.

Don't usually do much sausage, will buy only on special from a local butcher non spicy Italian sausage meat at $1.99/Ib for 'make your own sausage patties or rolled tubes and for meat balls. In a bowl, just add a number of eggs to the amount of meat as needed (one egg for each pound meat), seasoning, breadcrumbs (filler), any green leaves chopped. Make as many as possible, bag freeze them. Use as needed.

Last edited by not2old; May 4th 2015 at 8:37 pm.
Old May 4th 2015, 8:37 pm
Account Closed

LOL I'm actually with you on that one. Some stuff I can only do in metric, like distances... other stuff I can only do in imperial, like weights and heights. A few of them I just have memorized (like I know my 5'7 height is 170cm or so)...
I am better with speeds and distances now in metric, if its a really long distance, then I still need to convert to get a more realistic idea of how far something is, but for normal day to day distances, I am pretty good now.

Height and weight probably never be able to use metric, it just makes no sense to me, 100cm means nothing to me, no realistic idea of what it is....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.