Groceries

Old Mar 3rd 2017, 9:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Fantastic. $2.99 is fairly common around these parts but never less than that and mostly just a weekend thing.

Not sure of the make but something along those lines appears occasionally. They are usually very fatty but if you can cope with the wastage and the difficulty in prising the pieces apart they are better value than Maple Leaf's full price.
Fortunately ML's price is often reduced to around the $3 to $3.50 and for the ease of prising apart and guarantee of two-thirds meat I think that's worth it.
Tip for really cheapo, fatty, stuck-together bacon in large quantities:
- heat oven to 325. Put entire slab in oven on a rack in a baking pan. Cook 30 minutes, remove, let it drain & cool (but not to the point where fat re-solidifies) then separate slices & cool completely on kitchen paper. When cold, freeze slices in small batches.

Can be chucked straight in a hot pan from frozen, or defrosted and cooked as normal.

Walmart this week has chicken legs 'back on' for $1.47lb and Boneless Pork Loin for $1.77lb. I bought a $12 log which has been cut into 5 for roasting. That's $2.40 to feed four each time - albeit not large servings. But then it's not supposed to be and we'll have extra veggies.
I'm eyeing that pork loin & my freezer space, which is at a premium at the moment.
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 9:38 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shirtback
Tip for really cheapo, fatty, stuck-together bacon in large quantities:
- heat oven to 325. Put entire slab in oven on a rack in a baking pan. Cook 30 minutes, remove, let it drain & cool (but not to the point where fat re-solidifies) then separate slices & cool completely on kitchen paper. When cold, freeze slices in small batches.

Can be chucked straight in a hot pan from frozen, or defrosted and cooked as normal.
I usually separate as best I can, forgetting about bits stuck together as they'll still cook, and grill (broil) it all on a baking tray but using parchment paper. Turn the pieces when necessary.

I pour off the fat as I go so it's not smoking - the bacon also not too close to the element - and end up with lovely crispy bacon pieces.

Freezing it is a new one on me. Just checked with MIL...she's done it. Quebec thing maybe? She likes bacon bits in her salads so she probably did her own in the past.
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 10:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

I usually separate as best I can, forgetting about bits stuck together as they'll still cook, and grill (broil) it all on a baking tray but using parchment paper. Turn the pieces when necessary.

I pour off the fat as I go so it's not smoking - the bacon also not too close to the element - and end up with lovely crispy bacon pieces.

Freezing it is a new one on me. Just checked with MIL...she's done it. Quebec thing maybe? She likes bacon bits in her salads so she probably did her own in the past.
Possibly. Did she ever work in the food industry?

I learned this method in the hospitality biz, in Qc . No way were we going to, or able to, mess about separating uncooked bacon slices individually in the heat of a breakfast rush . Hence pre-cooking, removing fat, freezing etc etc. It also gets rid of the excess water with which most sliced bacon seems to be afflicted these days.
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 10:52 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shirtback
Possibly. Did she ever work in the food
Only a Chinese restaurant when she was about 14

Other than that, working in a cobblers, having kids and security at McGill. She is a very good story teller
Old Mar 4th 2017, 6:08 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Bristol you are missing out not living in my part of the world with all the competitive choices from the ethnic supermarkets ... just saying. Then again higher hydro prices, property price & property tax

flyer

From this it would be - pork chops, Salmon steaks, fish, chicken legs & backs, veggies, onions, green onions, red bell peppers & whatever else they have on the markdown shelf

Last edited by not2old; Mar 4th 2017 at 6:11 pm.
Old Mar 4th 2017, 6:48 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

We have a no frills across the street from us now. Some good deals to be had.

Their normal pricing seems high but then they had so much on sale no real need to buy at normal price.
Old Mar 4th 2017, 8:53 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

One of these days I'm going into the little halal grocery on my way home. They have goat meat, and I haven't had goat in ages, but I want to go before my usual trip to the club after work so I don't have beer on my breath.
Old Mar 5th 2017, 12:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321

Their normal pricing seems high but then they had so much on sale no real need to buy at normal price.
I usually shop in a RCSS and made the daft mistake of assuming that own brand pricing would be pretty consistent across all Loblaws shops until I checked out the no frills near where my daughter skates. President's choice products were up to 30% cheaper in no frills.
Old Mar 5th 2017, 12:22 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5
I usually shop in a RCSS and made the daft mistake of assuming that own brand pricing would be pretty consistent across all Loblaws shops until I checked out the no frills near where my daughter skates. President's choice products were up to 30% cheaper in no frills.
Loblaw & RCSS are a total rip off with no consistency in prices, then again, depends what you have where you live.
Old Mar 5th 2017, 4:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jsmth321

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5
Originally Posted by not2old
Loblaw & RCSS are a total rip off with no consistency in prices, then again, depends what you have where you live.
Prices here can vary quite a bit from one Maxi (Qc version of No Frills), as well as one Walmart etc to the next, even on basics/own brand products (outside the flyer specials). I notice because I occasionally shop in a much larger Maxi & Walmart, with daughter who lives in a much larger town, & I thought she would be able to get better deals/specials. Not so.
Old Mar 10th 2017, 8:53 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

My bargain of the week was at Wholesale Club, big 600g chub of Chevrai soft unripened goat cheese from Woolwich Dairy in Orangeville Ont. I think was $8.68 -30% so $6, delightfully light and creamy. Got it 2 days ago, expires on the 14th and half gone already. Tomorrow's omelette... I have the mushrooms, and the technology.
Old Mar 10th 2017, 9:42 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
My bargain of the week was at Wholesale Club, big 600g chub of Chevrai soft unripened goat cheese from Woolwich Dairy in Orangeville Ont. I think was $8.68 -30% so $6, delightfully light and creamy. Got it 2 days ago, expires on the 14th and half gone already. Tomorrow's omelette... I have the mushrooms, and the technology.
I drove through Orangeville Ont. en route to the cheese shop where, in addition to the usual items, I got some Clos Du Berry, which was the cheese offered for tasting. It's "Cave Aged Goat Gouda" from Char, France and it's a very nice change.
Old Mar 10th 2017, 10:05 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by caretaker
...Chevrai soft unripened goat cheese...
Originally Posted by dbd33
...I got some Clos Du Berry..."Cave Aged Goat Gouda" from Char, France...
Superstore had some reserve Scottish Cheddar and some Extra Old British cheddar
But I did buy some rather stinky Camembert with which I attempted this.

Spoiler:
Old Mar 10th 2017, 10:33 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Superstore had some reserve Scottish Cheddar and some Extra Old British cheddar
But I did buy some rather stinky Camembert with which I attempted this.

Loblaws don't keep the good Camembert, La Rustique, anymore so I go to Metro for, just, that. It's $10 for the cheese and $2 for the petrol.
Old Mar 12th 2017, 7:54 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in England right now. The prices and choice are overwhelming, I feel like I've emerged from years behind the iron curtain.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.