Groceries

Old Jan 14th 2016, 7:37 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

i suppose the issu is the company's ROI on setting up an online shopping front end when it's only going to be used by customers coming in to pick up. That must be a much smaller subset than delivery customers, as there's still a time investment in ordering online, but not the compensating convenience of not having to exit the house. Many customers will think, if they're driving to the store anyway, they can spend half an hour choosing their groceries.

As far as I know grocery 'click and collect' still isn't offered in the UK, although online/catalog products can be click and collected.
Old Jan 14th 2016, 7:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Parnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
The logistics of storage, a collection point and checkout are probably the trickiest to resolve within existing environments
This is their issue, they have created warehouses for customers to pick pack.
New age online grocery order picking is around 9 mins (does not matter size of order as process is driven by waves which last 15 mins).
Difference in time is waves are broken down into 00 (on the hour) 15 past, 30 past and 45 past. All orders ready for dispatch are picked in that quarter (15 min wave).
Delivery vehicles are auto loaded (means 10 seconds)
Then out the door
So the challenge for bricks and mortar and extended service delivery companies like Insta cart is how can they perform in this time frame which also includes auto checking of all orders for 100% compliance.
On issue of quality and returns - depends on company but a reputable company establishing a trusting relationship would not think twice of replacement and/or credit dependent on your choice, with replacement straight away not booking another timeslot.
On choosing your own product - have you seen the other 400 people squeezing and sneezing over the selection before you? The less handling the longer shelf life/pantry/fridge life.
Old Jan 14th 2016, 7:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Parnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
i suppose the issu is the company's ROI on setting up an online shopping front end when it's only going to be used by customers coming in to pick up. That must be a much smaller subset than delivery customers, as there's still a time investment in ordering online, but not the compensating convenience of not having to exit the house. Many customers will think, if they're driving to the store anyway, they can spend half an hour choosing their groceries. As far as I know grocery 'click and collect' still isn't offered in the UK, although online/catalog products can be click and collected.
Modern click and collect is 15 minutes where by you order and literally click to collect straight away or time you prefer. By the time you get in your car and arrive at the location your order would be ready.
Old Jan 14th 2016, 7:46 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

i suppose the issu is the company's ROI on setting up an online shopping front end when it's only going to be used by customers coming in to pick up. That must be a much smaller subset than delivery customers, as there's still a time investment in ordering online, but not the compensating convenience of not having to exit the house. Many customers will think, if they're driving to the store anyway, they can spend half an hour choosing their groceries.

As far as I know grocery 'click and collect' still isn't offered in the UK, although online/catalog products can be click and collected.
Tesco offered click and collect before I left. I picked up my Christmas groceries one year as I was too late choosing a delivery slot. But you could do it any time of the year. How I miss online grocery shopping....there is a partial service I'm going to try here, mostly fruit and veg and essentials and I would still need to do a dry shop but could maybe do that once every two weeks. Best I'm going to get I'm afraid.
Old Jan 14th 2016, 7:47 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Parnell
Modern click and collect is 15 minutes where by you order and literally click to collect straight away or time you prefer. By the time you get in your car and arrive at the location your order would be ready.
As has been previously voiced, if I have to go to the shop I may as well do the shopping. In Norfolk we were remote from a Supermarket so the £5 delivery charge was easily justified
Old Jan 14th 2016, 7:47 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Few people are that time sensitive on groceries. Take away meals, maybe.
Old Jan 14th 2016, 7:48 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by Tirytory
Tesco offered click and collect before I left. I picked up my Christmas groceries one year as I was too late choosing a delivery slot. But you could do it any time of the year. How I miss online grocery shopping....there is a partial service I'm going to try here, mostly fruit and veg and essentials and I would still need to do a dry shop but could maybe do that once every two weeks. Best I'm going to get I'm afraid.
Didn't know that. I don't use the mighty Tesco but they certainly have a big online operation.

Last edited by Shard; Jan 14th 2016 at 7:51 pm.
Old Jan 14th 2016, 8:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

IGA here offers 'click & collect', also order online & delivery (in selected locations, i think). In either case, in the time it takes to go through the process, I can go to the store, shop, come home, put away the shopping & have dinner on the table, as well as other meals for the freezer simmering/roasting/bubbling away.

I did seriously check into using this option* years ago when living in the back of nowhere & working silly hours at some distance outside the home: it was quicker & easier to just go do the shop, & the delivery option wasn't, & still isn't available to "back of nowhere".

*It failed seriously not only in terms of time saving/convenience, but also in the selection of fresh produce: neither a computer, nor an order picker, can make the decision that if broccoli looks seriously awful, to change plans & choose cabbage/chard/whatever instead .,.
Old Jan 14th 2016, 8:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Few people are that time sensitive on groceries. Take away meals, maybe.
The precise time provides more certainty for example you can order on say a Monday for a Friday delivery, but within a 15 minute slot, so more convenient.
Old Jan 14th 2016, 8:20 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by Shirtback
IGA here offers 'click & collect', also order online & delivery (in selected locations, i think). In either case, in the time it takes to go through the process, I can go to the store, shop, come home, put away the shopping & have dinner on the table, as well as other meals for the freezer simmering/roasting/bubbling away.

I did seriously check into using this option* years ago when living in the back of nowhere & working silly hours at some distance outside the home: it was quicker & easier to just go do the shop, & the delivery option wasn't, & still isn't available to "back of nowhere".

*It failed seriously not only in terms of time saving/convenience, but also in the selection of fresh produce: neither a computer, nor an order picker, can make the decision that if broccoli looks seriously awful, to change plans & choose cabbage/chard/whatever instead .,.

We used Occado for a while (now stand alone rather than Waitrose subcontractor)...it was an impressive app, but after a while it gets cumbersome when you have so many favourites and various specials pop up. We reverted to normal supermarket shopping, where there is the added advantage of seeing products you forgot that you need.
Old Jan 14th 2016, 9:31 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

The precise time provides more certainty for example you can order on say a Monday for a Friday delivery, but within a 15 minute slot, so more convenient.
I made a comment on the weather earlier and how it might make online shopping more appealing.

However, what happens if you order Monday for Friday and on Thursday evening you discover that Thursday/Friday's forecast 10cm of snow has since been revised to 40cm of blowing snow and that your street is unlikely to be passable until late Friday night and even then you might be trying to climb over a snow bank because the city plow just passed.

Like this
Attached Thumbnails Groceries-snow1.jpg  
Old Jan 14th 2016, 10:09 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

One issue overlooked so far with pricing and availability is that commercial vegetable production and sales in BC (includes imports) is controlled. This controls price & supply and is written in legislation.

Growing a few veggies at home for personal use is not controlled.

BC Vegetable Marketing Commission

The purpose is prevent deep discounting and keep prices up.

I believe a lot of folks coming from overseas underestimate the geography and climate here. There is a reason Pattisons have it set up the way they do. Jimmy is a pretty smart guy.

Last edited by Aviator; Jan 14th 2016 at 10:13 pm.
Old Jan 14th 2016, 11:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I made a comment on the weather earlier and how it might make online shopping more appealing. However, what happens if you order Monday for Friday and on Thursday evening you discover that Thursday/Friday's forecast 10cm of snow has since been revised to 40cm of blowing snow and that your street is unlikely to be passable until late Friday night and even then you might be trying to climb over a snow bank because the city plow just passed. Like this
How would you in turn get out of your house to go to a bricks and mortar supermarket?
But hmm lets see if snow van is a possibility???
Old Jan 14th 2016, 11:30 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Perhaps current providers have realised or ascertained that it's not economically viable? Either that or, like many aspects of Canada, they just haven't got there yet.

As far as Australia and Canada as a comparison are concerned, it's like comparing kiwi's and polar bears. Australia isn't as big, and whilst it has areas that are remote they are not to the same degree as Canada; neither does it have the same weather, temperatures nor road conditions as Canada.

I'm not saying that your idea isn't a good one - I, for one, do miss online grocery shopping. However, perhaps spend some time here and get to know the place before you jump on everyone and dismiss their viewpoints? There have been some very valid and thoughtful responses given.

I thought this was quite interesting:
http://thetruesize.com/#?borders=1~!...gwMDAwMDA%29NQ

And can't forget the portions of Canada not really accessible by land, if we are talking about the country as a whole the small northern communities could really use lower prices, but how would anyone get food there cheaper when air is the only viable transportation in and out?

Same with Alaska, some communities have no viable land route, everything comes in by air or in summer months by barge.....

I could see something working in heavily dense area's like central Vancouver and possibly the burbs of those city's, but not in the small rural places, let alone the isolated places.
Old Jan 14th 2016, 11:34 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
The supermarkets in Canada charge different prices based on geographical demographic.

There is no financial incentive for them to have all their prices in one place as it would give too much transparency and power to the consumer. They'd also take a hit on revenues.

Like most things in Canada there is only really two or three suppliers and with the illegal collusion between them all we will undoubtably never see proper online grocery shopping.

They've had it in the UK for over ten years now- there is no reason we don't have it in Ontario (the Golden Horseshoe) other than it is not in their financial interests to hurt their own revenues and add more costs.

No competition equals no innovation. It's the same reason we all have cable boxes from 1982.
Heck while it wasn't online back in the day and you ordered from a catalog and delivery was only once per week, we had grocery delivery in So. California when I was a teenager, even milk was delivered to us.

Was a specialty company doing it and not a mainstream grocer, but they were successful in their day, and if I could remember their name, they may very well still be around. They drove around in climate controlled 15' size truck.

Originally Posted by R I C H
This is the same for the 2 biggest commercial suppliers too (Sysco and GFS). Operate your business from a ski resort and delivered prices are higher than in a neighbouring town. Transport costs are cited as the reason, but given the price of oil that doesn't hold much water when I'm being charged exactly the same fuel surcharge year in, year out.

If anyone ever wonders why eating out at a ski resort is so expensive, blame the suppliers, not the business operators.

I've used both Sysco and GFS as suppliers and it's amazing how similar their inflated prices are. Buying at retail from a grocery store shouldn't be 40-60% cheaper than in bulk from a national wholesale distributor, but it often is.
At the hotel when I was still there, we got the Whistler price list once by mistake by a vendor, and oh my were the prices inflated, we thought we had it bad, but the premium to go the extra 50 minutes up the highway was insane.

Not food here, but hotel amenities are the same, buy from one of the limited Canadian suppliers, and you really get hosed. We did a great deal of ordering from US suppliers at the time since the exchange rate was favorable.

Whistler hotels seem to largely outsource their laundry based on all the laundry companies picking up towels, sheets etc and delivering clean ones, not sure if its the same out your way, but I am sure considering it's going to Vancouver they are charged a premium for it.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jan 14th 2016 at 11:41 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.