Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

"Greenest" part of Canada

"Greenest" part of Canada

Old Jul 4th 2011, 4:30 am
BE Forum Addict

London Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Greenest" part of Canada

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I don't think they are green there anyway. Anywhere that is reliant on ferries to import everything can't really claim that.

The way I see it is that Canada is green only when compared to the US. And as this is the comparison that Canadians like to make they think they are environmentally friendly.
Echo what Alan says here, though I wonder whether the US is worse. Rewind the clock back to Copenhagen and you'll find that the US had a better engagement with that conference than Canada.
Old Jul 4th 2011, 8:21 am
Just Joined

redmoose is just really niceredmoose is just really niceredmoose is just really niceredmoose is just really niceredmoose is just really niceredmoose is just really niceredmoose is just really niceredmoose is just really niceredmoose is just really niceredmoose is just really nice

Originally Posted by Keith
We cant entirely blame governments for their failure to clean up the planet, we are all to blame.

We all demand cheap energy and in order to satisfy our needs we turn a blind eye to how it is provided as long as it is cheap and readily available.

So if you want to find a green place to live stay put and start by cleaning up your own space.
I partly agree with this but one of the reasons I am moving is that modern life as we know it is particularly unsustainable up here in the Northwest Territories. The only way to live a low impact life in this part of the world would be to live in a log cabin and eat fish and bears. My wife is reluctant to embrace that lifestyle for some bizarre reason.

The part of your comment I disagree with though is that sometimes it's not possible to "clean up your own space". As I mentioned in my original post, I live downstream from a major source of nasty pollutants (allegedly of course) over which I have no control. My pitiful efforts at green living feel pretty worthless when our water is being poisoned (allegedly of course).
Old Jul 4th 2011, 1:37 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by redmoose
I partly agree with this but one of the reasons I am moving is that modern life as we know it is particularly unsustainable up here in the Northwest Territories. The only way to live a low impact life in this part of the world would be to live in a log cabin and eat fish and bears. My wife is reluctant to embrace that lifestyle for some bizarre reason.

The part of your comment I disagree with though is that sometimes it's not possible to "clean up your own space". As I mentioned in my original post, I live downstream from a major source of nasty pollutants (allegedly of course) over which I have no control. My pitiful efforts at green living feel pretty worthless when our water is being poisoned (allegedly of course).
Thats the problem right there (please don't take this a an insult because I for one am about as far from green as it's possible to get) - unless you are a full on member of the "crochet'd canoe" brigade - then living a green life proper is nigh on impossible.

Some try it and find it so difficult due to the conveniences they have known before - that they go back to more modern living whilst giving themselves a pat on the back for attempting to live greenly.
Old Jul 4th 2011, 3:51 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
Some try it and find it so difficult due to the conveniences they have known before - that they go back to more modern living whilst giving themselves a pat on the back for attempting to live greenly.
I suppose it depends what you mean by "live greenly". If the objective is to reduce your impact on the planet then city living is the way to do it. Country living is all about the use of engines of one kind or another.
Old Jul 4th 2011, 6:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I suppose it depends what you mean by "live greenly". If the objective is to reduce your impact on the planet then city living is the way to do it. Country living is all about the use of engines of one kind or another.
If we all just did a little bit it would help, ie, dont use drive ins, park your car turn of the engine and get of your lazy butts and walk to get your crappy Tims. If Canada banned all drive ins it would save millions of liters daily.
Old Jul 4th 2011, 7:44 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gremmie
If we all just did a little bit it would help, ie, dont use drive ins, park your car turn of the engine and get of your lazy butts and walk to get your crappy Tims. If Canada banned all drive ins it would save millions of liters daily.
In NA a drive-in is for movies, Timmies have drive-thrus. You have about as much chance of that happening as flapping your arms and flying.
Old Jul 4th 2011, 7:53 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Those who like to get closer to nature by "glamping" in their RV's and trailers are pollutants.

Packaging for most items (food, electronics, furniture....) is terrible. Packaging within packaging within....such a waste.

Urban sprawl breeds waste and pollutants and is ****ing ugly

Spending $B's on increasing road infrastructure to allow higher vehicle usage instead of targeting more effective public transportation = bad

Large capacity engined everyday commuter vehicles = pollutants

I'd also say anybody immigrating into Canada is not helping with the green aspect either. More people = more housing = more road network = more... Therefore, all "green" immigrants are hypocrites
Old Jul 4th 2011, 8:14 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Green isnt a place, its a code of personal behaviour isnt it?

I suppose things like recycling facilities and a choice of energy options helps, but its what you do that counts, not where you are.

I suppose you could fool yourself that you are living green by moving to some pristine wilderness, but if you drive a 4x4 and have to burn 2000 liters of heating oil a year to keep warm, and all your food has to be flown in, then its not all that green.

On the other hand if you stick to local produce and burn wood from sustainable sources instead then maybe its greener. But then that applies to living anywhere I guess.
Old Jul 4th 2011, 8:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
In NA a drive-in is for movies, Timmies have drive-thrus. You have about as much chance of that happening as flapping your arms and flying.
Please excuse my ignorance as I dont use either Tims nor drive thrus
Infact when my wife drove into a drive thingy full of cars I got out and went inside, orderd just what I wanted went back out side ,ate it before wifey got served. She got really pissed at me, but now she stops and gets out aswell.
Old Jul 4th 2011, 11:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gremmie
Please excuse my ignorance as I dont use either Tims nor drive thrus
Infact when my wife drove into a drive thingy full of cars I got out and went inside, orderd just what I wanted went back out side ,ate it before wifey got served. She got really pissed at me, but now she stops and gets out aswell.
Hahaha, I'll have to try that sometime, though imagine the girlfriend would have a similar unimpressed reaction