Goodbye Maggie RIP

Old Apr 17th 2013, 6:51 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Goodbye Maggie RIP

Originally Posted by dbd33
The divide in Canada is traditionally between immigrants, natives and francophones on the one side and rednecks on the other. While such social divisions might exist in the UK they are less stark as there are fewer immigrants, no natives, and a highly localised francophone population.
I'm a native Briton.
Old Apr 17th 2013, 7:07 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
In Goldthorpe there is.
vile people
Did you notice the state of the houses? Could the rundown local economy, Wikiipedia calls it a deprived area since the closure of the mine in the1980s, do you not think this might be a reason why she is hated?

I have no idea if all those people shown are vile, but I doubt it.
Old Apr 17th 2013, 9:07 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Did you notice the state of the houses? Could the rundown local economy, Wikiipedia calls it a deprived area since the closure of the mine in the1980s, do you not think this might be a reason why she is hated?

I have no idea if all those people shown are vile, but I doubt it.
Goldthorpe always looked a down at heel place, even when the pit was working, used to pass through it regularly.
Old Apr 17th 2013, 9:18 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Goldthorpe always looked a down at heel place, even when the pit was working, used to pass through it regularly.
So they really needed that pit then.
Old Apr 17th 2013, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

badab1ng has a brilliant futurebadab1ng has a brilliant futurebadab1ng has a brilliant futurebadab1ng has a brilliant futurebadab1ng has a brilliant futurebadab1ng has a brilliant future

I forgot to ask, will there be a grave to dance on?
Hope they make the dancefloor big enough for us all.
Old Apr 17th 2013, 9:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

So they really needed that pit then.
Do you believe that Government has a duty to employ people?
Old Apr 17th 2013, 10:31 pm
limey party pooper

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Why do you ask that?
Old Apr 17th 2013, 10:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Why do you ask that?
Just a question. I didn't intend to offend.
Old Apr 17th 2013, 11:11 pm
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Duty is perhaps the wrong word, but it may have an interest in doing so. It's hard to know what people in depressed northern towns are to do when there is insufficient private sector employment there, and they cannot afford the move or living in the South. I think mobility in Britain is more difficult than Canada, as people's family ties, identity and even accent are that much stronger. In that sense locating government offices in depressed areas and providing some base employment is preferable to letting towns degenerate.
Old Apr 17th 2013, 11:20 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

OK, so I'm reading a lot about the mines closing down and they didn't have to etc, I was born in '71 and I have honestly not paid much attention to politics and was too young at the time to even know what was really going on with the miners and pits closing, but surely if they were viable, some investor from somewhere would have stepped in and bought them and kept them going?
Old Apr 17th 2013, 11:27 pm
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
OK, so I'm reading a lot about the mines closing down and they didn't have to etc, I was born in '71 and I have honestly not paid much attention to politics and was too young at the time to even know what was really going on with the miners and pits closing, but surely if they were viable, some investor from somewhere would have stepped in and bought them and kept them going?
Yes that's the gist of it. The miners are a bit like the Luddites who objected to machines in textile mills instead of workers.
Old Apr 17th 2013, 11:48 pm
limey party pooper

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
The coal mines in Europe were heavily subsidised by governments, Germany, France, making Britissh Coal hard to export. Selling the pits was not part of the plan though, Thatcher had stockpiled fuel to keep the power stations going during the strike she wanted. Her target was to break the unions.
Old Apr 18th 2013, 12:03 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

The coal mines in Europe were heavily subsidised by governments, Germany, France, making Britissh Coal hard to export. Selling the pits was not part of the plan though, Thatcher had stockpiled fuel to keep the power stations going during the strike she wanted. Her target was to break the unions.
So British pits were not a viable business then? Same as the decline in the textile industry, same as the steel industry, it would have cost (I assume) the government too much money in subsidies to make it worthwhile, unions or no unions.
Old Apr 18th 2013, 12:07 am
BE Enthusiast

GC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by airbornesapper
Although I left the UK at age 25 (51 now)....I served most of my Brit Army time (16-25) with her as PM.

I remember all the good she achieved for the Country and the World.

She was the right leader at the right time for the UK.

Got-up to watch the funeral......

RIP, Maggie....AS

Want to post negative comments...start your own thread.
+ another 1
Old Apr 18th 2013, 12:14 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Bats is right. It was never a pure economic issue with the pits. For right or wrong, Thatcher had decided that she was going to break union power and the miners were her chosen target. (Probably because, in Scargill, she had an equally willing combatant.)

Thatcher abandoned the notion that a Government governs for all the people. She knew she could get a majority with 40% of the vote, and that elections were generally decided by a few tens of thousands of people in a few marginal seats. As long as she kept these floating voters happy the rest din't matter.

As for the people of the working class north, they were never going to vote Tory. So **** them. And if they choose to dance on her grave I am not in the least surprised.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.