Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

Old Jun 7th 2019, 2:34 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

Anyone watched ‘Chernobyl’? Amazing but so bleak and upsetting. I’m only on episode 3 of 5 and this is one show I can’t binge watch but I’m absolutely hooked
Old Jun 7th 2019, 3:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Just watched all 5 episodes Disturbing - not because of the theme that the Soviet system was flawed. I fear that ours are no better ! Hunterston - less than 10 miles from us - has cracks in the core.
Old Jun 7th 2019, 8:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
Anyone watched ‘Chernobyl’? Amazing but so bleak and upsetting. I’m only on episode 3 of 5 and this is one show I can’t binge watch but I’m absolutely hooked
There are a few posts on the previous pages of this thread about it. Also, just read two articles, one suggesting it is one of the top-rated shows EVER on HBO (who are carrying it in the US).
https://qz.com/quartzy/1635830/is-ch...niseries-ever/

https://www.vox.com/culture/2019/6/4...h-how-accurate
Very interesting interview with the producer, (with spoilers so tread carefully). For example, they explain how they took 'artistic license' with the final courtroom scene ...
Spoiler:

Legasov was not in that courtroom. The truth is he was not there. But I can’t tell the story without him being there because nobody’s going to want to watch that. They know this guy; they want to hear from him.

And another interesting bit of info
Spoiler:

according to the producer/writer, the three divers who go into the basement to drain the water and avoid a massive catastrophe did not die immediately afterwards,and two are still alive today, despite the common narrative that they died two weeks afterwards.

I did a lot of reading about Chernobyl after watching this. One interesting thing I discovered is that a number of people have moved back into the area. One family explained that the Ukraine has suffered a good deal of civil unrest (eg, Donbass, 2014); living near Chernobyl is nowhere near as dangerous as living in a war zone with bombs and bullets flying every day.
Old Jun 7th 2019, 2:55 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
There are a few posts on the previous pages of this thread about it. Also, just read two articles, one suggesting it is one of the top-rated shows EVER on HBO (who are carrying it in the US).
https://qz.com/quartzy/1635830/is-ch...niseries-ever/

https://www.vox.com/culture/2019/6/4...h-how-accurate
Very interesting interview with the producer, (with spoilers so tread carefully). For example, they explain how they took 'artistic license' with the final courtroom scene ...
Spoiler:

Legasov was not in that courtroom. The truth is he was not there. But I can’t tell the story without him being there because nobody’s going to want to watch that. They know this guy; they want to hear from him.

And another interesting bit of info
Spoiler:

according to the producer/writer, the three divers who go into the basement to drain the water and avoid a massive catastrophe did not die immediately afterwards,and two are still alive today, despite the common narrative that they died two weeks afterwards.

I did a lot of reading about Chernobyl after watching this. One interesting thing I discovered is that a number of people have moved back into the area. One family explained that the Ukraine has suffered a good deal of civil unrest (eg, Donbass, 2014); living near Chernobyl is nowhere near as dangerous as living in a war zone with bombs and bullets flying every day.
If you are interested, the original scripts of each episode are available to view:

https://johnaugust.com/library

it’s very interesting to read this and see what emotions they wanted the actors to show - gives more a depth to the series

Paul Ritter (Dyatlov) really does play some arrogant characters, his character in Rebellion was equally as such.
Old Jun 7th 2019, 4:00 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

It is utterly absorbing and utterly terrifying tv. A horror story with no monsters or zombies, but the click of a geiger counter. Best thing I've watched or will watch all year I suspect.
Old Jun 7th 2019, 7:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

I have been watching Gentleman Jack on BBC I player catch up- thoroughly recommend as per my 87 year old Dad !
Old Jun 8th 2019, 9:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

If you are interested, the original scripts of each episode are available to view:

https://johnaugust.com/library

it’s very interesting to read this and see what emotions they wanted the actors to show - gives more a depth to the series

Paul Ritter (Dyatlov) really does play some arrogant characters, his character in Rebellion was equally as such.
Wow - thanks for the tip on the scripts! I must say, I found the opening scenes a bit confusing because Legasov is talking about others (eg, Dyatlov) that hadn't been introduced in the story yet, so reading the script for that was very helpful. I do plan to re-watch the entire series once I get to the end.

I had assumed it was primarily a 'Sky' production, with HBO just picking it up for the US market, but the scripts suggest they really did produce it (copyright, etc). HBO are doing a fantastic job with their productions. Their documentaries are some of the best also - they did one on the 2008 financial crisis that was really great.
Old Jun 9th 2019, 1:25 am
Bex in the city

Wow - thanks for the tip on the scripts! I must say, I found the opening scenes a bit confusing because Legasov is talking about others (eg, Dyatlov) that hadn't been introduced in the story yet, so reading the script for that was very helpful. I do plan to re-watch the entire series once I get to the end.
thats why I needed the scripts. I had no idea who anyone was in the control room
Old Jun 9th 2019, 5:47 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Talking of bleak, I'm still reeling from episodes of Shaun the Sheep.
Old Jun 9th 2019, 2:21 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shelley748
I have been watching Gentleman Jack on BBC I player catch up- thoroughly recommend as per my 87 year old Dad !
I concur. Really like it.

It looks like there is a series two of White Gold, the first was very amusing, I hope the same is true for the second.

latest Black Mirror on Netflix as well. I didn't watch Bandersnatch yet, and not all of the last series, so I need to catch up.

June 21st see's the second season Dark. July 4th is season three of Stranger Things. I'm going to binge both of those as soon as possible.
Old Jun 9th 2019, 6:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

thats why I needed the scripts. I had no idea who anyone was in the control room

Did you see (listen to) the 'companion podcasts'? They are mentioned (and I think linked) on the scripts page. The podcasts explain (according to what I read) all the gory details and explain when and where they chose to diverge from the truth for artistic / storytelling reasons. Once I'm done watching, I'll take a crack at those. I don't particularly like listening to stuff ... i'm hoping perhaps there's a transcript somewhere.

I found it interesting that the scripts are in good-old-fashioned 'courier' (or some similar monospaced 'typewriter' font) rather than looking like the product of a typical modern word processor. I'm guessing that's purely for aesthetic reasons?
Old Jun 9th 2019, 10:48 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sharkus
It looks like there is a series two of White Gold, the first was very amusing, I hope the same is true for the second..
Good heavens, you're right. BBC2 already showed it and it's now available on Netflix.

Millie will be pleased.
Old Jun 11th 2019, 3:13 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Just watched all 5 episodes Disturbing - not because of the theme that the Soviet system was flawed.
I agree, it's disturbing. I'm old enough to remember it and I also read enough to be aware of what happened.
I've often wondered how a western government would have dealt with the crisis. Having a centralised system does enable the authorities to act with the force and with the scale necessary. One item of evidence of the size of the response is that following the event some 600,000 medals were awarded to the liquidators.
I've often wondered about the hot spot discovered following the Chernobyl event near Windscale and blamed on the Chernobyl cloud that apparently passed over northern UK and whether the UK used the event to disguise the leftover radiation from the Windscale accident in 1957, guess I'll never know.

Old Jun 12th 2019, 12:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I've been doing more reading about the details of the event, and one thing really surprised me - Chernobyl consisted of 4 reactors; it was reactor #4 that blew. They kept reactors 1, 2 and 3 running for (10, 5, 14 years) after the accident ... even though the entire area was evacuated. https://www.businessinsider.com/cher...isaster-2016-4 So I presume they must have bussed in operators to run the plant for that time, despite the area being considered uninhabitable. Perhaps they were only allowed to work there for a few days at a time? They must have slept near the disaster, though, unless they were bussed in and out every day. Can't find details of this aspect, yet.

I do have a question I can't find an answer to ... the 'trial' at the end was staged in Chernobyl itself; if the entire area is evacuated due to contamination (the exclusion zone), how can they stage a trial there - you need a functional building, and of course you are risking the health of every participant. I found this NY Times article from 1987 reporting on the trial: https://www.nytimes.com/1987/07/30/w...abor-camp.html
Old Jun 12th 2019, 3:41 am
Bex in the city

I've been doing more reading about the details of the event, and one thing really surprised me - Chernobyl consisted of 4 reactors; it was reactor #4 that blew. They kept reactors 1, 2 and 3 running for (10, 5, 14 years) after the accident ... even though the entire area was evacuated. https://www.businessinsider.com/cher...isaster-2016-4 So I presume they must have bussed in operators to run the plant for that time, despite the area being considered uninhabitable. Perhaps they were only allowed to work there for a few days at a time? They must have slept near the disaster, though, unless they were bussed in and out every day. Can't find details of this aspect, yet.

I do have a question I can't find an answer to ... the 'trial' at the end was staged in Chernobyl itself; if the entire area is evacuated due to contamination (the exclusion zone), how can they stage a trial there - you need a functional building, and of course you are risking the health of every participant. I found this NY Times article from 1987 reporting on the trial: https://www.nytimes.com/1987/07/30/w...abor-camp.html
Very good question. I honestly don't think the Soviet State cared about their people.

The 'official' death toll within Russia/Soviet States is around 30 (mostly the workers/engineers etc at Chernobyl at the time of the blast and the fire fighters). they even stated that the volunteer divers died but apparently they survived (two are still alive today according to the info at the end of episode 5). The real death toll is much higher especially in fact. It wouldn't surprise me that they put people to work there in order to keep productivity up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.