British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/goggle-box-anything-worth-watching-tv-872172/)

Jerseygirl Mar 23rd 2020 1:32 am

Re: Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

Originally Posted by fulwood (Post 12825465)
I'm watching Spooks which I have never seen before. Going to watch all 10 seasons

that’s coincidental...my sister said the very same earlier today. She said Sky had put a lot of extra films and programs on. Spooks was one of my favourite series. :thumbsup:

BristolUK Mar 23rd 2020 12:34 pm

I'm watching Spooks which I have never seen before. Going to watch all 10 seasons

Great series :thumbup:

I'm sure it inspired the French series The Bureau.

mikelincs Mar 23rd 2020 1:10 pm

Aaaand my Netflix is back, just couldn't get it on the TV, so I did what one normally does in suck cases, I switched it off and then on again, and it's now working.

BristolUK Mar 24th 2020 12:20 am

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12824797)
Caliphate on Netflix. Episode 4 done so far.

Lots of tense moments.

I don't have any (known) heart problems but I might have at the completion of this.

I might have to break a rule and watch the last two episodes tomorrow - in daytime.

Teaandtoday5 Mar 24th 2020 12:28 am

Tomorrow’s plan - Malory Towers in iPlayer. Lacrosse and tuck boxes 🥍

scrubbedexpat134 Mar 24th 2020 1:24 am

loved this show from first episode to last episode. Get the Kleenex ready for the final episode.

Jingsamichty Mar 24th 2020 10:41 am

Watched the new documentary about Diego Maradona on Ch4 on Saturday - absolutely brilliant.

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/diego-maradona

MillieF Mar 25th 2020 11:28 am

I just looked up thread and was surprised that nobody popped down “The English Game” the new Julian Fellowes offering on Netflix. Everything you’d expect from him, great costumes, decent story and good looking actors. I enjoyed it. I don’t know one end of a football from another but that didn’t matter.
Worth a watch...and a happy ending...which we need right now.

I’m definitely going down the Caliphate and Spooks route next - thank you for the suggestions.

Novocastrian Mar 25th 2020 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by MillieF (Post 12826906)
I just looked up thread and was surprised that nobody popped down “The English Game” the new Julian Fellowes offering on Netflix. Everything you’d expect from him, great costumes, decent story and good looking actors. I enjoyed it. I don’t know one end of a football from another but that didn’t matter.
Worth a watch...and a happy ending...which we need right now.

I’m definitely going down the Caliphate and Spooks route next - thank you for the suggestions.

Brilliant phrase. I enjoyed watching it too.

Partially discharged Mar 25th 2020 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 12826932)
Brilliant phrase. I enjoyed watching it too.

It's on my 'to watch' list but some scottish friends of mine who love football are not as crazy to watch it due to the title.

We've started watching Tiger King which is a certifiable shake your head documentary about some crazy americans.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood...ler-joe-exotic

BristolUK Mar 25th 2020 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by Partially discharged (Post 12827076)
...some scottish friends of mine who love football are not as crazy to watch it due to the title.

You should tell them it can't be called The Scottish Game because it's not a comedy. :hysterical:

BristolUK Mar 26th 2020 12:28 am

They've done it again.

Danish this time. Darkness: Those Who Kill.

Haunting soundtrack. Moody. Overhead shots of roads.

Sigh.

fulwood Mar 26th 2020 1:53 am

I swear I've seen that Danish drama already..

Partially discharged Mar 26th 2020 11:38 am

Originally Posted by fulwood (Post 12827352)
I swear I've seen that Danish drama already..

Policeman who left the town in a cloud of mystery/poor judgement - check
Disfunctional family who hate him/her - check
Unscruplous business people in the town who have something on the policeman - check
Drizzly, cloudy and stark industrial landscapes - check
Brooding soundtrack music - check
Excessive smoking and daytime drinking binges - check

Yep, I think you've seen it before.:thumbsup:...I must admit I love these types of shows.

BristolUK Mar 26th 2020 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by Partially discharged (Post 12827490)
Policeman who left the town in a cloud of mystery/poor judgement - check
Disfunctional family who hate him/her - check
Unscruplous business people in the town who have something on the policeman - check
Drizzly, cloudy and stark industrial landscapes - check
Brooding soundtrack music - check
Excessive smoking and daytime drinking binges - check

Yep, I think you've seen it before.:thumbsup:...I must admit I love these types of shows.

I've only seen the first episode and none of that so far in this one.
Funny thing though, usually it's a son or daughter and dad (and mum sometimes) missing the school play/game or whatever. But that's standard for any cop show, anywhere to the point that a couple of times I'm half way through a season of something and think - hang on...this man/woman is single and appears to have no family at all. :lol:

As for smoking...sometime last year there was a report out that said smoking on TV had increased. Well of course it has.

All those dramas from Europe being shown on BBC and C4 would do that. Not to mention historical stuff.

I can't speak for Downton Abbey as I've never seen it but Peaky Blinders probably doubled smoking on TV on its own. :ohmy: