Gibraltar

Old Apr 3rd 2017, 9:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gibraltar

Simply put, it is up to the people of Gibraltar, they are British citizens, and they have made it quite clear they still wish to remain a British overseas territory. So why should it be given to Spain?

What Spain wants doesn't come into it, as for the Brexit vote, this is a separate matter and has nothing to do with it.

Im sure Spain wouldn't pull a stupid stunt by trying to annex it, so its storm in a tea cup.
Old Apr 3rd 2017, 9:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Paul. I know my relatives were really shocked by the Brexit vote. It could lead to all sorts of complications crossing the border. But that doesn't mean they would want to identify as anything other than British. As you state it's a separate thing and there a lot of history/politics there.
In the 70s 60s maybe I can't recall my grandfather lived in Spain. During one dispute when the border was closed for a long while he had to travel from Spain to Morocco to Gib monthly to get his UK pension.
Old Apr 4th 2017, 3:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

It must have been 1969:

Spain would suffer if it vetoed a Brexit deal over Gibraltar | BrexitCentral
Old Apr 4th 2017, 4:30 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
How ridiculous, British politicians insinuating war. If the Spainards want it back, Little England should return it forthwith. Admittedly the Brits in Gibraltar didn't vote that way, but if it's hard Brexit that the masses want, then losing the Rock is a fitting demonstration of the new order.
Why little? We have 60 million people and the 5th largest economy in the world.

Last edited by Oink; Apr 4th 2017 at 5:17 am.
Old Apr 4th 2017, 9:05 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
It's a state of mind. Britain's economic success of the last 35 years has been because of EU membership, not in spite of it. We're diminishing our trade position with our primary economic partner, and sinking back into petty nationalism. IMO it's a retrograde step.
Old Apr 4th 2017, 9:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Precisely!

I was a firm 'remainer', but I am not now a 'remoaner'.

I think Cameron was crazy playing Russian Roulette just to paper over the cracks in his own party. I also believe that referendums for major change (e.g. BREXIT, Scottish Independence etc.) should not be based on simple majority, but should be based on 'clear majority' - at least 60%, probably 2/3rds (sound familiar?).

But hey, Britain is where it is and must (and is) get on with it. There is no doubt at all the fifth biggest economy in the world can 'go it alone', it is just the uncertainty that this transition period creates over then next few years that a lot of people could live without (myself included).
Old Apr 4th 2017, 3:45 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
It's a state of mind. Britain's economic success of the last 35 years has been because of EU membership, not in spite of it. We're diminishing our trade position with our primary economic partner, and sinking back into petty nationalism. IMO it's a retrograde step.
Maybe its more that we want to engage with the wider global comuunity as an independent and authentic actor rather than be constrained and controlled by the narrow confines of a European paradigm?
Old Apr 4th 2017, 3:58 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know a great deal of the (recent) history of Gibraltar's spats with Spain, but it seems to me that membership of the EU has not exactly made a huge difference to Spain's ability to make the border crossing difficult for people going in either direction. The Gibraltar issue has always been raised as a proxy by governments in Madrid to distract attention from other, domestic, issues - I suppose this is what is happening now, and Brexit has provided a convenient context for Alfonso Dastis to persuade Donald Tusk to stir the pot.

It's not helpful on either side - either for Tusk to have called out Gibraltar as needing special consideration, of of Michael Howard to have invoked the spirit of Thatcher and the Falklands. It'll simmer down long before the Brexit negotiations are completed.
Old Apr 4th 2017, 3:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maybe its more that we want to engage with the wider global comuunity as an independent and authentic actor rather than be constrained and controlled by the narrow confines of a European paradigm?

Personally I don't believe that. Events in the UK post the ref last June lead me to conclude the basis of the vote was a desire to stop immigration. I don't think (but clearly I cannot prove it) that the motivating desire was to reach out globally in a different way. But of course, the UK (government) is forced to present this as a desire now having turned its back on the single market (the largest market).

Last edited by Snowy560; Apr 4th 2017 at 4:27 pm.
Old Apr 4th 2017, 4:01 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Could you please elaborate on this narrow European paradigm? Oh, and who is "we"?
Old Apr 4th 2017, 4:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

+1
Old Apr 4th 2017, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by Snowy560
Personally I don't believe that. Events in the UK post the ref last June lead me to conclude the basis of the vote was a desire to stop immigration. I don't think (but clearly I cannot prove it) that the motivating desire was to reach out globally in a different way. But of course, the UK (government) is forced to present this as a desire now having turned its back on the single market (the largest market).

On the contrary, we now have the ability to create an immigration policy that is open to the global community, very much like Canada.

Isn't it better to trade in multiple markets?

Last edited by Oink; Apr 4th 2017 at 4:57 pm.
Old Apr 4th 2017, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Could you please elaborate on this narrow European paradigm? Oh, and who is "we"?
The UK can benefit from bi and multilateral trade agreements that best suit our national interests. We don't need the unnecessary bureaucracy of the European Commission to that.

The UK as a nation state.
Old Apr 4th 2017, 4:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

When the one on your doorstep is the largest by far, that would seem the obvious place to start.

But this isn't about the economic health of the country: this is about the UK government staying in power by delivering "the will of [some of] the people". The UK government isn't concerned about the economics or it would be doing everything it could to retain access to the single market. This isn't about the UK either: it's about England.

I see there's been a call to return to Imperial measurements.

I don't want to get into a further debate about it because I'm horrified by what's happened and is happening as project Brexit unfolds. It makes me very sad.

Last edited by Snowy560; Apr 4th 2017 at 5:06 pm.
Old Apr 4th 2017, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by Snowy560
When the one on your doorstep is the largest by far, that would seem the obvious place to start.
Of course we'll trade with our European neighbours.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.