British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Gibraltar (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/gibraltar-894862/)

Shard Apr 3rd 2017 8:34 am

Gibraltar

How ridiculous, British politicians insinuating war. If the Spainards want it back, Little England should return it forthwith. Admittedly the Brits in Gibraltar didn't vote that way, but if it's hard Brexit that the masses want, then losing the Rock is a fitting demonstration of the new order.

OtherDave Apr 3rd 2017 9:04 am

Re: Gibraltar

Brexit isn't why we're looking to move to Canada, but it's certainly not making it any less attractive. The idiocy is astounding - threatening war with one of our nearest allies, and a major member of our largest trading partner, just as we start the most complex trade and diplomatic negotiations every undertaken (in the shortest timeframe).

Shard Apr 3rd 2017 10:16 am

Originally Posted by OtherDave (Post 12220045)
Brexit isn't why we're looking to move to Canada, but it's certainly not making it any less attractive. The idiocy is astounding - threatening war with one of our nearest allies, and a major member of our largest trading partner, just as we start the most complex trade and diplomatic negotiations every undertaken (in the shortest timeframe).

100% agree. Crazy.

Novocastrian Apr 3rd 2017 10:21 am

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12220092)
100% agree. Crazy.

Well, only 96% of Gibraltans (?) voted to stay in the EU. What better way than joining Spain for a change?

Shard Apr 3rd 2017 10:34 am

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 12220095)
Well, only 96% of Gibraltans (?) voted to stay in the EU. What better way than joining Spain for a change?

I imagine they are sensible enough to accede to that.

(Lack of clarity in my initial post: I meant that the Gibalterians didn't vote in the way the 'masses' voted. Although, in any other reality 52% is hardly a great mass in the first place.)

Hurlabrick Apr 3rd 2017 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 12220095)

The slight problem is that when the UK held a referendum in 2002 about joint sovereignty with UK / Spain, it was 99% in favour of UK only!

Perhaps another referendum for Gibraltarians:

1. Become part of Spain but stay in the EU
2. Stay part of the UK and leave the EU

Pretty certain I know which way it would go.

Spain are hypocrites about this - they think it is potty the UK holding on to Gibraltar (which perhaps it is), but see no problem with Spain holding their enclaves of Ceuta, Melilla and the Canary Islands (rather than Morocco)!

BristolUK Apr 3rd 2017 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick (Post 12220224)
Spain are hypocrites about this - they think it is potty the UK holding on to Gibraltar (which perhaps it is), but see no problem with Spain holding their enclaves of Ceuta, Melilla and the Canary Islands (rather than Morocco)!

To be fair, there are or have been many situations like this.

Hurlabrick Apr 3rd 2017 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12220231)
To be fair, there are or have been many situations like this.

Absolutely! That is the point I am making. Look at all the parts of 'France' scattered around the globe, St Pierre Miquelon for one.

Wouldn't it be lovely if everyone just said 'you know what, every country just hands these weird enclaves over' - but it aint gonna happen.

Even the UN recognises the importance of self-determination.

JamesM Apr 3rd 2017 1:27 pm

I've been to Gibraltar.

The place is hole and the locals all have two heads.

I do wonder if the mass tax evasion by its "residents" would be allowed to continue if the UK let it go.

Danny B Apr 3rd 2017 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12220028)
How ridiculous, British politicians insinuating war. If the Spainards want it back, Little England should return it forthwith. Admittedly the Brits in Gibraltar didn't vote that way, but if it's hard Brexit that the masses want, then losing the Rock is a fitting demonstration of the new order.

At least the PM didn't tweet about it :p

magnumpi Apr 3rd 2017 3:50 pm

Evoking memories of the Falklands War, Lord Howard said: "There is no question whatever that our Government will stand by Gibraltar.

"Thirty-five years ago this week another woman Prime Minister sent a task force halfway across the world to defend the freedom of another small group of British people against another Spanish-speaking country.

"I am absolutely certain our current Prime Minister will show the same resolve in standing by the people of Gibraltar."

Howefamily Apr 3rd 2017 4:03 pm

Gibraltarians are fiercly patriotic, more so than many living in Blighty are. I think its sad that they may well become a victim in all this.

Snowy560 Apr 3rd 2017 5:50 pm

My mother was born there. I have relatives living there who I'm going to visit in July. If you don't understand the politics and sentiments behind Gibraltarian feelings, I find it rather simplistic to comment on it.
HoweFamily is right. To you it may seem a contradiction in terms that people in Gibraltar want to remain British and remain in the EU but so do a lot of people living in the UK.

dave_j Apr 3rd 2017 7:02 pm

The wheels are turning.. in fits and starts.. but they. are turning.

Fred Jones, that man in the Bunch of Grapes, would surprisingly feel greatly upset if Gibraltar was sacrificed on the altar of political expediency. Won by force of arms and heroic in WW2 it's more british than the british, I would suggest that there would be a heavy political price to pay to go against the wishes of Gibraltarians.

This is just one of those boulders that have been unearthed by the Brexit redevelopment of the EU and like any redevelopment things will never be the same again. However unlike many redevelopments this one seeks to sweep away the ghettos and corrupt foreign slum landlords of the EU and replace them with the eutopia that will become Albion.

Fred Jones and his mates would crucify any politician who gave in to the spanish and there are no votes to be lost by uttering over the top rhetoric.

Novocastrian Apr 3rd 2017 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick (Post 12220224)
The slight problem is that when the UK held a referendum in 2002 about joint sovereignty with UK / Spain, it was 99% in favour of UK only!

Perhaps another referendum for Gibraltarians:

1. Become part of Spain but stay in the EU
2. Stay part of the UK and leave the EU

Pretty certain I know which way it would go.

Oh, I agree, but Empress May forbids second thought.