Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

GGRR - Agent rang and depressed me :-(

GGRR - Agent rang and depressed me :-(

Old Apr 15th 2008, 10:48 am
BE Enthusiast

bandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond repute
Default GGRR - Agent rang and depressed me :-(

Well, I am annoyed.

I know that there are many of us in the same boat with selling properties, but I'm just cross as my agent just called to say how dismal the market was etc.. and how hard it is to sell properties and the like...?

But why then did they seem so keen and say how easy it would be when I was deciding on agent???

I have had 3 viewings, but my house is part of modern development of 8 houses built on a road that boarders Ex Local Authority houses. To get there you have to drive through this estate, and it's putting people off. Frankly I haven't ever found it an issue, and the bonus's of having a house so nice (new / clean / no maintenance etc), that I wouldn't be able to afford if it was elsewhere in the area.

I think I'm going to go into another agents today or tomorrow and see what they say. I'm only signed up for 6 weeks rather than 12 too, thankfully....

Sorry to rant, it's an ongoing one for alot of us.....

Bxx
Old Apr 15th 2008, 12:10 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: GGRR - Agent rang and depressed me :-(

Originally Posted by bandit
Well, I am annoyed.

I know that there are many of us in the same boat with selling properties, but I'm just cross as my agent just called to say how dismal the market was etc.. and how hard it is to sell properties and the like...?

But why then did they seem so keen and say how easy it would be when I was deciding on agent???

I have had 3 viewings, but my house is part of modern development of 8 houses built on a road that boarders Ex Local Authority houses. To get there you have to drive through this estate, and it's putting people off. Frankly I haven't ever found it an issue, and the bonus's of having a house so nice (new / clean / no maintenance etc), that I wouldn't be able to afford if it was elsewhere in the area.

I think I'm going to go into another agents today or tomorrow and see what they say. I'm only signed up for 6 weeks rather than 12 too, thankfully....

Sorry to rant, it's an ongoing one for alot of us.....

Bxx
I completely feel for you.

Instructed my agent to value my house AT A PRICE THAT WOULD SELL. 4 weeks later we are having our first viewing on it tonight - I asked why things were so slow and she said "well we like to put the house on at an initial price to see if it generates interest and then we review it..."! Talk about not listening.

I really think it is pure luck at the moment if you sell - I mean if I still lived in the UK and were selling to buy another UK house, I would not even be thinking about doing it in the current market!

It is just so annoying when you need to shift it to start your new life.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 12:50 pm
is Happy

Tanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
I completely feel for you.

Instructed my agent to value my house AT A PRICE THAT WOULD SELL. 4 weeks later we are having our first viewing on it tonight - I asked why things were so slow and she said "well we like to put the house on at an initial price to see if it generates interest and then we review it..."! Talk about not listening.

I really think it is pure luck at the moment if you sell - I mean if I still lived in the UK and were selling to buy another UK house, I would not even be thinking about doing it in the current market!

It is just so annoying when you need to shift it to start your new life.
we are in same boat. House on market not moving. I live a lovely area, house is priced middle of range so should be applicable to anyone ie/ first time buyers and people downsizing too. I have had 3 viewers all of whom i could have said the house was not right for before they stepped through the door so gawd only knows what the estate agent was thinking. I think they just drag anyone in off the street so that it looks like your getting viewers.
Its so annoying coz we need the money from our house for the move and to buy new when we land
Am seriously thinking of putting it on ebay whoch is what someone else on here did- or putting it in loot as im starting to get a bit twitchy now
Old Apr 15th 2008, 1:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

bandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose I'm in the enviable position of not needing to sell in order to move, and that the rental market is very boyant because the sales market is so slow.

Although I will need to re-mortgage to release some capital, hopefully that won't be too painful!

I actually popped into another agency at lunchtime to see what they thought of my situation. They said they are selling, but no where near asking prices, and even then negotiations are taking months and months. The lettings guy there said that properties were letting so fast the minute one comes up, it's gone almost.

So - from my point of view, I'll have to wait and see.

Depressing is not the word.....

Bx
Old Apr 15th 2008, 3:17 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't let any agency tie you into a sole-agency deal - tell them you want to be free to use other agencies at the same time. If the market is so dismal, they'll be desperate for any business, so you should be in a good bargaining position.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 3:19 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

I have just had a quote from another agent who tells me that we should look at selling ours 30k below what it is on for now if we want it to fly off the books! I think not! If the rental market is so good I will rent it out for another year at a nice juicy rent!
Old Apr 15th 2008, 3:26 pm
is Happy

Tanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to behold

I have just had a quote from another agent who tells me that we should look at selling ours 30k below what it is on for now if we want it to fly off the books! I think not! If the rental market is so good I will rent it out for another year at a nice juicy rent!
well if worst comes to worst - we will have to rent in VI and rent ours out here. Am hoping not to do that as would prefer to buy out there. It's just so damned annoying and to top it off im one of those people for whom nothing ever goes ' just right' lol
Old Apr 15th 2008, 3:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tanah
well if worst comes to worst - we will have to rent in VI and rent ours out here. Am hoping not to do that as would prefer to buy out there. It's just so damned annoying and to top it off im one of those people for whom nothing ever goes ' just right' lol
I suppose that things could be worse.

I just heard from one of my temps (she herself is in her 60's), that her fully grown daughter (living in the Far East), who has only just been in remission from some sort of cancer, has 3 brain tumors, one has ruptured. Prognosis is less than good....

Makes you realise life is so short, and we need to make the most of what has been put in front of us all....
Old Apr 15th 2008, 5:03 pm
Forum Regular

blueeyes2002 will become famous soon enoughblueeyes2002 will become famous soon enough

I know how you feel with your house. Before we left Guernsey ours was on for 17 months, as like you it was next to a large council estate that you had to drive through to get to ours. It was never an issue to us, but most people who viewed it said th area was an issue. If we could have picked it up and moved it 100 yards down the road we would have sold it 50 times over.

We held out and found the right buyer, we ended up accepting only 15,000 under our original asking price.... (We dropped the price by 10,000 after 6 months.) It took months though.,

Good luck with selling yours.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 5:23 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

It is a bit of a dilemma for the Estate Agent. You say you want the house priced to sell, but when the agent tells you what that price is, you say "I think not!".
Old Apr 15th 2008, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by JonboyE
It is a bit of a dilemma for the Estate Agent. You say you want the house priced to sell, but when the agent tells you what that price is, you say "I think not!".
Look..I am a women - therefore I am allowed not to make sense!
Old Apr 15th 2008, 5:37 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Look..I am a women - therefore I am allowed not to make sense!
Ah, OK, I understand. And, because I am a well trained man (or a mouse), of course I agree.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Ah, OK, I understand. And, because I am a well trained man (or a mouse), of course I agree.
Good boy (can you feel me patting you on the head?)