Tax returns

Old Apr 15th 2008, 1:21 am
Forum Regular

kosh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tax returns

Ok, I`m leaving it a bit late this year. Not my fault, Canada Revenue were unsure whether I needed to file returns, but as I have a T4 I guess I do. They were quite excited to here about my PR status just before Xmas!

Ok, dilemma time. Got the forms from the local post office, took one look and was immediately lost. Gosh, life was so much simpler with the tax back in the UK!!

I know there are places such as HRblock that will do them. Can anyone recommend some software that is made for dumb people, that will actually do the figures for the returns? Failing that, are there guides online for completing these forms specifically for people who have never done one before

I figured if I could learn to do them myself, I`ll be good for future years. I just need some serious guidance on them! Thanks.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 1:29 am
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax returns

Originally Posted by kosh
Ok, I`m leaving it a bit late this year. Not my fault, Canada Revenue were unsure whether I needed to file returns, but as I have a T4 I guess I do. They were quite excited to here about my PR status just before Xmas!

Ok, dilemma time. Got the forms from the local post office, took one look and was immediately lost. Gosh, life was so much simpler with the tax back in the UK!!

I know there are places such as HRblock that will do them. Can anyone recommend some software that is made for dumb people, that will actually do the figures for the returns? Failing that, are there guides online for completing these forms specifically for people who have never done one before

I figured if I could learn to do them myself, I`ll be good for future years. I just need some serious guidance on them! Thanks.
Quicktax for a straightforward return.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 1:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

As I understand it, you can't submit your first tax return electronically, but I'm sure you can use the packages to prepare a return, then print it off and post it in the old-fashioned way?!

We getting someone to do the first one - $70 for both of us.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 4:29 am
BE Enthusiast

zmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nice

Just go to an accountant - it's easier that way!

We landed 28th November ad just paid $90 for someone else to do them as, as rightly quoted, you can't submit your first tax return electronically.

Anyway, seems we'll both be getting some money back - yippee!

Just wish the UK tax man would sort out my husbands tax return now!

Zoe M. x
Old Apr 15th 2008, 4:34 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Surrey Expat
Quicktax for a straightforward return.
That was incredibly easy and because mine and my partners returns are low, the filing was free with Quicktax online. I`m not bothering with the netfile, going to print off the papers and send them in.

Best of it is, the refund estimate was a huge surprise

Thanks again for the info. This has been nagging me for ages.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 1:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

That was incredibly easy and because mine and my partners returns are low, the filing was free with Quicktax online. I`m not bothering with the netfile, going to print off the papers and send them in.

Best of it is, the refund estimate was a huge surprise

Thanks again for the info. This has been nagging me for ages.

As others have previously said, I'm sure you are not allowed to file your first tax return online. You may wish to call CRA to confirm this so as to avoid any penalties
Old Apr 15th 2008, 1:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute

Especially for the frst year, get profesional help. It shouldn't cost a lot if you use someone such as H&R block, who also handle any subsequent Revenue Canda investigations regarding your tax return free of charge. This happened to us last year, so its a bit like an insurance policy for peace of mind.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 2:04 pm
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
As others have previously said, I'm sure you are not allowed to file your first tax return online. You may wish to call CRA to confirm this so as to avoid any penalties
Quicktax online is not the same as Netfile.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 2:05 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

For a simple employee return I dont see what HR Block have to offer....if you can handle immigration forms, then the tax return should not be too scarey.

Previous years I have used Ufile online, its easy and convenient (more so than the paper booklet which is a bit daunting to look at at first!). Cost to file using ufile online has gone up to $20 for principal applicant and $7 for spouse, so this year on the recomendation of a friend I used Tax Freeway, a free downloadable stand alone program which costs $10 to activate for 20 returns (less if you share with a friend ) and works pretty much the same way, although perhaps not quite as intuitively? Both use an interview style interface.

www.ufile.ca

http://www.taxfreeway.ca/
You can print a return with either.

For a first return you are more than likely required to send paper. Subsequent returns can then be filed electonically over the net using netfile and the access code they will send you. Took 10 days to get my refund this year using netfile, much faster turnaround than sending the forms.

Last edited by iaink; Apr 15th 2008 at 2:11 pm.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 2:46 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

That was incredibly easy and because mine and my partners returns are low, the filing was free with Quicktax online.
Same for me. We've used it for all our returns so far.

It retains the information (others do too, I believe) so for each new tax year, you can transfer it all and just update the figures.

Just one thing to remember - when we went on-line to do 2007 there was conflicting information about whether we could transfer 2006 data. The feature to do it didn't work. We emailed them and the reply showed us how to get around the problem.

So if it looks like you can't transfer, an email may find a solution.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 2:49 pm
NS covern member #1

Poppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry for asking a useless question - please dont eat me alive for asking! We arrived this year, mid january, am I right in thinking we arent required to complete a tax return until next April?

Thanks in advance!!
Old Apr 15th 2008, 3:00 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Poppy2
Sorry for asking a useless question - please dont eat me alive for asking! We arrived this year, mid january, am I right in thinking we arent required to complete a tax return until next April?!
Correct. Which is where we are now.

All pretty much done, but one nagging question. I still have some paltry savings in the UK which I'm receiving interest on. I having got round to sending off P85 forms yet, so I'm still being taxed on this interest. So I've disclosed all this in my Canadian tax return.

Now, what happens when I come round to filling out my UK tax return? Do I not disclose my savings as the tax has already been dealt with by my Canadian return? If I do disclose the income and tax paid, then wouldn't I be in danger of getting a refund on this tax as I fall below the personal allowance? In which case, the tax I disclosed in my Canadian return would have been wrong. Or would I just include the refund in my Canadian return for the following year (sounds a bit daft)?
Old Apr 15th 2008, 3:42 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy2
Sorry for asking a useless question - please dont eat me alive for asking! We arrived this year, mid january, am I right in thinking we arent required to complete a tax return until next April?
Not forgetting that Canadian tax years are 1/1 to 31/12 and not April to April of course, so it can be done as soon as forms/software/online sources are available.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 4:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Posidrive
Especially for the frst year, get profesional help. It shouldn't cost a lot if you use someone such as H&R block, who also handle any subsequent Revenue Canda investigations regarding your tax return free of charge. This happened to us last year, so its a bit like an insurance policy for peace of mind.
I never used the Netfile feature. I printed off the papers and will mail them instead. We`re in no rush to get the assessment/refund back.

Took me all of fifteen minutes to complete our tax returns using Quicktax online. The estimated refund was very suprising - for the better of course
Old Apr 15th 2008, 4:13 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

We`re in no rush to get the assessment/refund back.
The sooner you get it back, the sooner you can put it to work

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.