Germanwings Flight

Old Mar 28th 2015, 3:28 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Germanwings Flight

one of our neighbours is a commercial pilot for a major airline. all i know is that at one point, when he was having marriage difficulties, he was signed off work.

I actually think having 2 people in the cockpit could solve this potential problem, rather than more screening of mental illness.

FWIW, I'm also suffering from mental illness and have the medication to prove it. You can be functional and self-aware and still be mentally ill. (I just got promoted!) There is no one answer.
Old Mar 28th 2015, 9:05 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
one of our neighbours is a commercial pilot for a major airline. all i know is that at one point, when he was having marriage difficulties, he was signed off work.

I actually think having 2 people in the cockpit could solve this potential problem, rather than more screening of mental illness.

FWIW, I'm also suffering from mental illness and have the medication to prove it. You can be functional and self-aware and still be mentally ill. (I just got promoted!) There is no one answer.
Quite so. I'm concerned about what is getting to be a blanket condemnation of anyone with mental illness. There are such a wide variety of mental and physical illnesses. I know from a friend's violent psychotic episode that it often can't be predicted, in my friends case he harmed himself. We don't know what happened and our desire for answers means the press reports too much too soon, let the whole picture develop before we blame.
Old Mar 28th 2015, 9:20 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Quite so. I'm concerned about what is getting to be a blanket condemnation of anyone with mental illness. There are such a wide variety of mental and physical illnesses. I know from a friend's violent psychotic episode that it often can't be predicted, in my friends case he harmed himself. We don't know what happened and our desire for answers means the press reports too much too soon, let the whole picture develop before we blame.
Yes. Anything that is done needs to be on a case by case basis and not a blanket to cover everyone since every illness is different person to person.

There are people with my diagnoses (although my diagnoses pretty much means not flying and many other jobs regardless.) who are very successful and have mild manageable symptoms, and others who can barely function day to day and everything in between.

For me the symptoms come and go very quickly but without much warning and there isn't a medication that can manage them, so it makes sense for someone like me to not be a pilot.

But someone else may be symptom free for years and never relapse and mange successfully.

Same with my wife, she is bipolar and some folks with it manage very well, others struggle with most basic of things. She is well managed by medication and shows no symptoms and has very stable all around, someone like her should not be banned simply for being bipolar.

I've been a victim of blanket bans because of mental health stuff and jobs. I don't agree with those sorts of bans, although I have no issue with safety sensitive jobs doing psychiatric/mental screening and doing each on an individual basis and decisions on an individual basis.

(I've been suicidal in the past, but never once has it ever crossed my mind to harm others, and I don't understand why suicidal folks take others with them when they do.)
Old Mar 28th 2015, 10:36 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

CNN are blaming Bin Laden. Yup. They said if it was not for him then the door would have been open.

I blame the Wright Brothers myself !!
Old Mar 28th 2015, 11:36 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

"CNN would make breaking news out of a pile of dog poop" - Jann Arden
Old Mar 28th 2015, 11:49 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

I know, ass holes. I sat down and had a quick lookee see at the CNN marathon plane crash channel and almost spat my tea out when he said that.
Old Mar 29th 2015, 9:57 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Reading some articles about the first officer this morning, and this guy really should not have been flying airplanes, seems he had some issues beyond just depression if the reports are true.
Old Mar 29th 2015, 12:12 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Reading some articles about the first officer this morning, and this guy really should not have been flying airplanes, seems he had some issues beyond just depression if the reports are true.
Not trying to make a joke of it but imagine the looks one pilot might give the other if invited to go for a pee.
Old Mar 30th 2015, 1:57 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

My husband was reading this article yesterday - Andreas Lubitz urged captain to leave cockpit so he could crash Germanwings jet, recording reveals | National Post

It says in there that the co-pilot actively encouraged the captain to leave the cockpit, and was quite dismissive when the captain was discussing landing procedures for Dusseldorf, saying stuff like "we'll see" and "hopefully".

It's chilling.

If anyone has the same sick fascination with this stuff, there's a documentary on Netflix called Air Disasters, it profiles 10 plane crashes and the reasons why. I watched it last week, horrifying and fascinating.

http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/70299552
Old Mar 30th 2015, 5:00 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
My husband was reading this article yesterday - Andreas Lubitz urged captain to leave cockpit so he could crash Germanwings jet, recording reveals | National Post

It says in there that the co-pilot actively encouraged the captain to leave the cockpit, and was quite dismissive when the captain was discussing landing procedures for Dusseldorf, saying stuff like "we'll see" and "hopefully".

It's chilling.

If anyone has the same sick fascination with this stuff, there's a documentary on Netflix called Air Disasters, it profiles 10 plane crashes and the reasons why. I watched it last week, horrifying and fascinating.

http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/70299552
There's actually a whole TV series on air disasters. Forget the names but it spends about an hour an episode going into the subsequent investigation. I find it fascinating too.
Old Mar 30th 2015, 5:03 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

aircrash investigation ( also airs as Mayday) on discovery channel
"seconds from disaster" covers some aircrashes

"why planes crash" also airs on Smithsonian channel
Old Mar 30th 2015, 5:03 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
There's actually a whole TV series on air disasters. Forget the names but it spends about an hour an episode going into the subsequent investigation. I find it fascinating too.
If you can find the name, that'd be cool. I found the Netflix series (10 1hr episodes) really, really interesting - and it's exactly as you describe, starts with the crash, then goes into the investigation. A mix of crashes were profiled on the Netflix series as well (which I believe was originally done by The Smithsonian Channel) - included the Air India bombing, then an Air Canada plane that was loaded with fuel in imperial instead of metric and ran out halfway into its flight, then the US flight that crashed in the Everglades and how that happened... all really, really interesting. Tough to watch at some points, but still fascinating.

Edit: Thanks Zoe! Off to Youtube/other streaming now to try to find these!
Old Mar 30th 2015, 5:06 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

the air canada one was "the Gimli Glider"
Old Mar 30th 2015, 5:14 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
the air canada one was "the Gimli Glider"
Yes! That episode in particular was fascinating. One of the ones I remember the most!
Old Mar 30th 2015, 6:09 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

On a similarly macabre note, I found the opening crash sequence in "Castaway" (Tom Hanks film) particularly realistic. Well, so I assume.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.