Germanwings Flight

Old Mar 27th 2015, 11:52 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Germanwings Flight

The latest news this morning is that the co-pilot had suffered from severe depression in the past but hadn't told his employers about it.

Germanwings crash: Co-pilot 'treated for depression' - BBC News
Old Mar 27th 2015, 4:50 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

Well that would explain things. Very sad, and very, very selfish. Yes, I know that is not a particularly nice thing to say, as depression isn't an easy thing to deal with. My point is that if you see suicide as the only way out, why then so be it. However, just kill yourself, why would you deny life to the other people on the plane?

I hope that we see some / more stringent, and mandatory, testing surrounding mental states pilots and co-pilots.
Old Mar 27th 2015, 4:55 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sharkus
I hope that we see some / more stringent, and mandatory, testing surrounding mental states pilots and co-pilots.
I hope not.

Firstly, it's one incident in, well, quite a lot, of flights flown without the co-pilot going bonkers so that's an overreaction.

Secondly, employers do quite enough poking around in the lives of their staff already. The risk doesn't outweight the value of privacy.

Thirdly, a shrink is only marginally more likely to spot the future nutter than a psychic is. The exercise is a waste of time.
Old Mar 27th 2015, 5:54 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I hope not.

Firstly, it's one incident in, well, quite a lot, of flights flown without the co-pilot going bonkers so that's an overreaction.

Secondly, employers do quite enough poking around in the lives of their staff already. The risk doesn't outweight the value of privacy.

Thirdly, a shrink is only marginally more likely to spot the future nutter than a psychic is. The exercise is a waste of time.
Pilots already have to undergo physicals in most if not all western countries, wouldn't be too hard to add in psych exam. Also doing away with the stigma surrounding it and allowing pilots to receive treatment without threat of being grounded for life would help as well. (provided the pilot responds well and is stable and all that.)

Right now pilots tend to not tell anyone in fear of losing their jobs, and an untreated depressed person is always worse then someone who is depressed and in treatment.

Cops and other professions have to under go pych assessments and nobody blinks and eye, so why not pilots as part of their government mandated physical?
Old Mar 27th 2015, 5:55 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I hope not.

The Doctor who prescribed the meds should have a duty to report IMO

They do this for truck drivers and anyone else with a DL don't they?
Old Mar 27th 2015, 5:58 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi

They do this for truck drivers and anyone else with a DL don't they?
Commercial license I assume you mean?

I don't think doctors have to report most medications for normal folk drivers licenses. If they do they certainly keep it a good secret both on the doctors end and licensing agency end.
Old Mar 27th 2015, 6:01 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Commercial license I assume you mean?

I don't think doctors have to report most medications for normal folk drivers licenses. If they do they certainly keep it a good secret both on the doctors end and licensing agency end.
I believe that they have to report people who are diagnosed with epilepsy, and they aren't allowed to drive until they have been free of fits for 2 years (UK)
Old Mar 27th 2015, 6:29 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

If it is the physician doing the flight medical they do and will, here they work for Transport Canada when doing the med. A Family physician maintains patient confidentiality and cannot report anything to anyone, other than if a patient threatens a life, it can be reported to the police I believe.

Few years ago AC had an incident with the FO being taken ill and the flight having to land in Shannon instead of London and wait for a new crew.
Old Mar 27th 2015, 6:30 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

The reports say the medical stuff found was dated that same day. Perhaps it was already in process?
Old Mar 27th 2015, 6:51 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
If it is the physician doing the flight medical they do and will, here they work for Transport Canada when doing the med. A Family physician maintains patient confidentiality and cannot report anything to anyone, other than if a patient threatens a life, it can be reported to the police I believe.

Few years ago AC had an incident with the FO being taken ill and the flight having to land in Shannon instead of London and wait for a new crew.
I'm going to question that. The last Transport Canada safety seminar I was at was quiet clear in telling us that once you inform any health care professional that you hold an aviation medical (as you are obliged to do) then they can and indeed should report anything they consider might have an impact on your ability to safely conduct a flight.

for those of you suggesting "mandatory pysch exams" kindly enlighten me as to what exactly they should be screening for?

If there was a reliable tool for telling if someone is suffering from a depressive illness and likely to cause harm to others, then by all means use it.

but there isn't, so what magic crystal ball are you expecting them to use.

you might be interested to know that Canada actually has one of the most enlightened attitudes towards depression and SSRI use in pilots , compared to the rest of the world.
Old Mar 27th 2015, 6:53 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

this is MIND's response to the incident

Posted on 27/03/2015

The terrible loss of life in the Germanwings plane crash is tragic, and we send our deepest sympathies to the families. Whilst the full facts are still emerging, there has been widespread media reporting speculating about the link with the pilot’s history of depression, which has been overly simplistic.

Clearly assessment of all pilots’ physical and mental health is entirely appropriate - but assumptions about risk shouldn't be made across the board for people with depression, or any other illness. There will be pilots with experience of depression who have flown safely for decades, and assessments should be made on a case by case basis.

Today’s headlines risk adding to the stigma surrounding mental health problems, which millions of people experience each year, and we would encourage the media to report this issue responsibly.

Sue Baker, Director, Time to Change
Paul Farmer, Chief Executive, Mind
Mark Winstanley, Chief Executive, Rethink Mental Illness
Old Mar 27th 2015, 8:17 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

I think he was bummed out because his girlfriend was leaving him. Now when I see the flight crew walk past in the departure lounge pulling their luggage I won't be able to help looking them over.
Old Mar 27th 2015, 8:26 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
I think he was bummed out because his girlfriend was leaving him. Now when I see the flight crew walk past in the departure lounge pulling their luggage I won't be able to help looking them over.
Presumably you'll be doing the same for every bus driver, train driver or indeed any other person who may have access to a vehicle then?
Old Mar 27th 2015, 8:33 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
I'm going to question that. The last Transport Canada safety seminar I was at was quiet clear in telling us that once you inform any health care professional that you hold an aviation medical (as you are obliged to do) then they can and indeed should report anything they consider might have an impact on your ability to safely conduct a flight.

for those of you suggesting "mandatory pysch exams" kindly enlighten me as to what exactly they should be screening for?

If there was a reliable tool for telling if someone is suffering from a depressive illness and likely to cause harm to others, then by all means use it.

but there isn't, so what magic crystal ball are you expecting them to use.

you might be interested to know that Canada actually has one of the most enlightened attitudes towards depression and SSRI use in pilots , compared to the rest of the world.
Psychiatrists are pretty good at their jobs, nothing is perfect but having a screening by a psychiatrist is better then none at all.

We have cops undergo screenings as do other jobs, and considering the trust we have to place in pilots, I see no issue with screening for mental health issues as part of the medical stuff.

Obviously no doctor is perfect and it won't solve everything, but it may get people out before they can cause harm.
Old Mar 27th 2015, 8:39 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
CARS only require a medical applicant to sign an authority for the CAME to get information form your family doctor. The holder of the medical is obligated (under CARS) to notify Transport Canada of any changes between medicals and not fly if they do not consider themselves fit.

A family doctor can only release information to TC with your written consent.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.