Gender Pronouns

Old Nov 23rd 2017, 2:39 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gender Pronouns

Originally Posted by Shard
C'est quoi?
Old Nov 23rd 2017, 2:43 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
remembered from A-level chemistry. I was intrigued by the word (not so much by the isometry, I'm afraid) as I'd only come across it before when doing Latin prose translations from Caesar's De Bella Gallica.
You are Dan Brown and I claim my ten pounds!
Old Nov 23rd 2017, 2:52 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Another one for the WILT!
Old Nov 23rd 2017, 3:13 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5
Nonsense. That's a-level chemistry at most. I remember that, although my explanation would have been less clear, and that's 30 years ago for me.
It was the use of the phrase "non-rotating bond" which whiffed of wikipedia.

Did you know that as well as the better known Transkei, there is also a Ciskei region of South Africa?
...or that there was a Transco kid?
Old Nov 24th 2017, 3:04 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

From the ridiculous to the sublime...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-as-he-or-lord
Old Nov 24th 2017, 5:11 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

From the ridiculous to the sublime...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-as-he-or-lord
If you scroll down, just to include the top of that picture, it looks like an arse.
Old Nov 24th 2017, 5:18 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by BristolUK
If you scroll down, just to include the top of that picture, it looks like an arse.
Not seeing it. I know it's Friday, but isn't it a tad early to start on the sherries...

Old Nov 24th 2017, 6:12 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Not seeing it. I know it's Friday, but isn't it a tad early to start on the sherries...

Bristol Cream, I presume.

Old Nov 24th 2017, 6:46 pm
Oscar nominated

Not seeing it.
Focus on the spire

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Bristol Cream, I presume
Yum
Old Nov 24th 2017, 7:37 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

If nor more dear sir/ madam letters, would that rule out Dear John letters too?
Old Nov 25th 2017, 7:00 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

I did listen to the recording. It took them 40 minutes to get to the point - it is a grammar unit, not a politics of grammar unit. Teach the class thesis statements and writing, and not controversy of the day.

The video clip had no place in that particular class. That goes into the Politics of Grammar unit (or whatever equivalent).

There is more to this than it seems. I have a PhD from one of the world's most respected universities and was a graduate assistant myself while studying - I cannot remember any occasion where I had a thought of bringing a recorder to a meeting, nor do I know of anyone who would. That would not be a default reaction for any normal situation, not even when told "we need to have a meeting due to a problem in a class." Trouble was already brewing, and had been for some time, which is why she thought to bring the recorder. Part of that trouble was her presenting inappropriate content for that unit.

That being said . . . the professors were completely in the wrong for the first 35 minutes of the recording and deserve to be lit up, the way they are being lit up. This meeting should have taken five minutes: "Stick to the unit syllabi and leave the politics for a politics of language unit." It was highly, highly inappropriate for them to go down the "teach only what we like" route, with a topping of witch-hunt, especially when so unnecessary in this situation. Bringing in the Ontario Code of Human Rights was something out of Orwell or a cartoon, unless there had been previous incidents, which we will never hear about since the university would be prohibited from discussing.

It does take a particular nuance and sensitivity to teach controversial material in university classes, which I would not expect a 22 year old TA to have (nor would I expect them to have, need, or use that nuance or sensitivity in a first-year grammar unit about writing).

That is, as one of the professors noted, particularly more acute today as students have changed in the last 15 years to be a lot more sheltered.
Old Nov 25th 2017, 7:44 am
Yo

I couldn't listen to more than 6-7 mins of the clip, skipping through to different sections. It did sound like a "thought police" session. As you say, if the material was age unsuitable (big if) the matter could be cleared up in five minutes, but these 'gender philosophers' have far to high an opinion of themselves for that. Bringing in the power of the state through the Ontario legislation was beyond pathetic; it was scary, first that such legislation exists, and second that groupthinking drones like the woman who mentioned it might be empowered to inflict their warped views on other individuals. On the whole, it was a contemptible episode of academic bullying a reminder of why there needs to be pushback against bad ideas. A panel discussion between the WLU academics, Jordan Peterson, and Douglas Murray would be fun.

Last edited by Shard; Nov 25th 2017 at 8:55 am.
Old Nov 25th 2017, 8:58 am
Yo

Old Nov 25th 2017, 11:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. I would last about 5 minutes today if I had to work on a campus with all of these special interest groups and precious snowflakes who are offended by anybody who has an opinion that challenges their own agenda which they are trying to impose on others.

Laurier has changed a lot since I was a student at U of Waterloo and WLU was referred to as that 'high school down the street'
Old Nov 25th 2017, 1:27 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
Thanks. I would last about 5 minutes today if I had to work on a campus with all of these special interest groups and precious snowflakes who are offended by anybody who has an opinion that challenges their own agenda which they are trying to impose on others.

Laurier has changed a lot since I was a student at U of Waterloo and WLU was referred to as that 'high school down the street'
It does seem a different world. I can't help but think that many of these students are being confused into gender issues by academics who are seeking to establish some raison d'etre.

Has WLU reputation changed for the better in recent years? At least an official apology was made.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.