Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Frozen UK Pensions 93 year old fights

Frozen UK Pensions 93 year old fights

Old Oct 26th 2018, 9:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Frozen UK Pensions 93 year old fights

As I've always understood it, the reciprocal arrangement applies to the indexing of the UK pension ............... for some reason Canada and Australia (I think) have not signed that agreement with the UK.

I had a cousin-by-marriage (now dead) in Australia who was receiving 3 pensions, one was from his WW2 service .... his father made him join up in 1939 at age 16 and he served throughout the war, including being wounded.

His pension in 2000 was a grand 19p ...... it had started at that level years before and never increased

I have no interest in the UK pension ................ our UK accountant recommended back in 1967 that we both withdraw all that we had paid int the scheme over 3 years of full time work each plus years of part-time payments. He believed that if we had no intention of returning to the UK (or of not returning for a long period), then the UK pension would be of little use to us, whereas the cash had immediate benefit.

I'm in agreement with Almost Canadian in this.
Old Oct 26th 2018, 9:53 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neill
Yeah, but i'm not confident that all the systems are as joined up as people generally think they are -- and you can have a US bank account without being a US resident for tax purposes.
Would be interesting to 'test' out the system.
There's probably a subsection of Murphy's Law that covers it. Not joined up when you want them to be and perfectly joined up when you don't.
Old Oct 26th 2018, 10:00 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Without wanting to rehash the old arguments, there is research that shows the UK - or taxpayers, if preferred - saves more from Seniors living outside the UK not needing to use health and social services (and maybe benefits too) than would be spent uprating their pensions.

(Oh my...I said 'seniors' and not pensioners. I'm Canadian! )
Old Oct 26th 2018, 10:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
As I've always understood it, the reciprocal arrangement applies to the indexing of the UK pension ............... for some reason Canada and Australia (I think) have not signed that agreement with the UK.

I had a cousin-by-marriage (now dead) in Australia who was receiving 3 pensions, one was from his WW2 service .... his father made him join up in 1939 at age 16 and he served throughout the war, including being wounded.

His pension in 2000 was a grand 19p ...... it had started at that level years before and never increased

I have no interest in the UK pension ................ our UK accountant recommended back in 1967 that we both withdraw all that we had paid int the scheme over 3 years of full time work each plus years of part-time payments. He believed that if we had no intention of returning to the UK (or of not returning for a long period), then the UK pension would be of little use to us, whereas the cash had immediate benefit.

I'm in agreement with Almost Canadian in this.
I believe you have hit the nail on the head I also think it has to do with the indexing.
Old Oct 27th 2018, 12:57 am
Forum Regular

jeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Is it possible in Canada to elect to swap the UK pension for a Canadian state pension?

In New Zealand those with UK state pensions can choose to receive the NZ state pension instead I believe.

I am not 100% sure but if an NZer goes to live in the UK they cannot receive their NZ state pension. So it does not work equally both ways.
Hi
I have heard you can opt to use your uk pension as a 'years' credit for your canada pension, but also heard that it can only give a credit of additional 10 years max, no matter if you have more than 10 in the uk
I havent researched this myself yet
cheers
jerry
Old Oct 27th 2018, 1:57 am
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
I believe you have hit the nail on the head I also think it has to do with the indexing.
https://retirehappy.ca/social-securi...ments-cpp-oas/
Canada currently has international social security agreements with over 50 countries. These agreements coordinate pension programs for people who have lived or worked in two countries...Canada has only a limited agreement with the United Kingdom.
Okay, but what does this mean?
Hi Doug
I wonder if you can help answer this. I lived and worked in Canada from birth to age 44. Therefore contributed to CPP etc. I moved to the UK and have lived here for the past 15 years. The question is – when I begin collecting my CPP will it be frozen to the amount that it is when I start collecting it or will I receive the annual increases that anyone living in Canada get? I know that in the reverse scenario a UK citizen living in Canada receiving UK’s state pension, it would be frozen. Derek
Derek. Rest assured that you receive the same annual CPP increases as someone who lives in Canada.
Right, so the reciprocal arrangement between the UK and Canada provides for the same uprating for the Canadian in the UK as if they remained in Canada but the UK retiree doesn't get the same uprating in Canada as if they had remained in the UK.

We know that. But how is this reciprocal?

Know what this reminds me of?
Brit to Canadian - "Why do you do it this way?"
Canadian - It's the way it is.
Brit - "But why is it the way it is, what's the reason?"
Canadian - "If it ain't broke don't fix it."
Brit - It's more efficient/cheaper/quicker/safer this way."
Canadian - "This is Canada. It's the way it is."
Brit "But..."
Canadian - "If it aint' broke don't fix it."

Never mind, it's the reciprocal arrangements that don't reciprocate. All's well really.

Last edited by BristolUK; Oct 27th 2018 at 2:03 am.
Old Oct 29th 2018, 3:27 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Find attached a recent UK government briefing note on the subject.
I draw your attention to the very last paragraph (below) of a long hard read. It seems that there's probably little effort being made by the civil service to push this as it really doesn't apply to those who matter.

"There does seem to have been some interest in this subject, prompted by the PQ answered on 8 July 2004:
Expatriate Retired Civil Servants
Mr. Webb: To ask the Minister for the Cabinet Office whether civil servants who retire abroad to a country where pensions are frozen for expatriates continue to have their guaranteed minimum pension uprated; and if he will make a statement. [182040]
Mr. Alexander: When a pensioner covered by the Principal Civil Service Pension Scheme (PCSPS) becomes permanently resident in a country where state pensions are frozen for expatriates, the Inland Revenue advises the PCSPS that the state pension will not attract uprating increases. The PCSPS will then uprate the Guaranteed Minimum Pension element of the PCSPS pension in line with increases under the Pensions Increase
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
SN01457.pdf (493.7 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by dave_j; Oct 29th 2018 at 3:29 pm.