Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Frivolous gift ideas please!

Frivolous gift ideas please!

Old Nov 15th 2011, 10:41 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Frivolous gift ideas please!

I know, it's another what shall I buy for so and so thread, but I could do with some ideas please.

As many of you know my Mum has been ill for quite sometime. This year we are going back for crimbo as her time is running out and we want to give her a great last Christmas. She's never been one for wanting gifts, usually pop socks and a pair of leather gloves.

She's not got much appetite and only really like Toblerone and Mon Cheri chocolates and then not too many, they go on booze cruises, so alcohol is not needed.

What completely frivolous, just for her gift could I get for her, I don't really want to get her jewellery as she never has really worn it and she's not really up for days out any more.

I am drawing a complete blank. I'm thinking of getting her pop socks and a pair of gloves from me and my sister anyway, more of a gag gift.
Old Nov 15th 2011, 10:51 pm

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Frivolous gift ideas please!

A dressing gown and slippers, nicer than she'd buy for herself?

If you want to go for the comedy route, get her a snuggie and those light up slippers MMC was after.

<yes, I know I'm the worst one to give gift advice>
Old Nov 15th 2011, 11:28 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

An original 1960's John Cooper S, Mini
Old Nov 16th 2011, 12:10 am
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

Let's not forget La Senza stuff
Old Nov 16th 2011, 12:18 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Ignoring the post above, you should order a pair of these shoes/slippers for her.

I'm getting my mum some for Chrimbo

http://www.padraigcottage.com/
Old Nov 16th 2011, 1:50 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ireland2canada
A dressing gown and slippers, nicer than she'd buy for herself?

If you want to go for the comedy route, get her a snuggie and those light up slippers MMC was after.

<yes, I know I'm the worst one to give gift advice>
We got her a snuggie when she was here in the summer as a joke, my sister has confirmed it is in regular usage

My sister had also said she would like to look into getting her a dressing gown like she used to have when we were teens, like a movie star from the '50's with swans down trim etc, the closest I've found is from Harrods but it's not quite frivolous enough as there is no glitzy trim, so do you know where a glitzy trimmed dressing gown can be bought?

Originally Posted by el_richo
An original 1960's John Cooper S, Mini
She can't drive a standard anymore, in fact with all the morphine, I don't think she should be on the road at all

Ignoring the post above, you should order a pair of these shoes/slippers for her.

I'm getting my mum some for Chrimbo

http://www.padraigcottage.com/
I love those slippers, that's a complete me type thing, however my Mum would prefer something like these:http://www.gina.com/shoes.aspx

Yes she does wear similar whilst being wheeled in her wheelchair

I really appreciate the replies, keep thinking!
Old Nov 16th 2011, 2:07 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

hahah = love your mum's style

how about mani - pedi so toes look good ??
Old Nov 16th 2011, 4:10 am

Bells, one of her bucket list things was a Spa day, we did a mini one when she was here, maybe I'll ask her again, all three girls could go to a proper posh place for a day.

She's very particular about her nails - feet and hands, she likes them long (probably because she can grow those and she stopped growing at 4'10")
Old Nov 16th 2011, 5:43 am
Beep

I just bought my wife a pair of Manolo's. They seemed to go down well

Failing that, treat her to a nice blue rinse.
Old Nov 16th 2011, 6:52 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

What about one of the "fashion shoot" days. All 3 of you? You get pampered, lunch etc and then you will gave some fab memories? Xxx
Old Nov 16th 2011, 12:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

victorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond repute

Afternoon tea at The Ritz (or similar) and a London show? Although I am not sure where you are based when you are back in the UK so maybe not a good idea! Tea is good for little appetites - you can just nibble, while the rest of you can hoover up the leftovers! I went to Claridges this year. Lovely service and a live music. It was very special.
Old Nov 16th 2011, 12:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

victorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond repute

Oh I just saw she's not up for days out, so scrap my idea! How about a Kindle - does she read?
Old Nov 16th 2011, 12:52 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Some talc.
Old Nov 16th 2011, 12:54 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

I just bought my wife a pair of Manolo's. They seemed to go down well

Failing that, treat her to a nice blue rinse.
Look at you eh....Manolo's. Suits you Sir
Old Nov 16th 2011, 12:56 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

There was a lot of mileage in the stuff on the "as seen on TV" website in the tread last week... comedy gold.

more pointless crap than you can shake a stick at...
http://www.asseenontv.com/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.