Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

free coffee in Calgary?

free coffee in Calgary?

Old Oct 8th 2011, 7:21 am
Forum Regular

sliam37 is a jewel in the roughsliam37 is a jewel in the roughsliam37 is a jewel in the roughsliam37 is a jewel in the rough
Default free coffee in Calgary?

Hi,

My family and I are coming over to Calgary for 12 days to check it out (and plan to send in our finalised FSW application when we get back home). We're a family of 5, with 3 children 13, 10 and 8.

We've made the expensive decision to come over for a holiday / check it out as we want to be really sure of our decision to move to Calgary permanently, hopefully in 2012. Having gone through the whole emigration thing (NZ) six years ago, and now having children at an age where ideally we would not move them from their schools, let alone continent, we are very aware that it's often the intangibles that can be the difference between wanting to live somewhere, and not.

If any of you already in Calgary fancy a free coffee and cake, we'd love to treat you. Only condition is that you give us some of your impressions on life in Calgary - eg: schooling and education system, settling in, areas to live, leisure, affordability, housing, difficulties, snow, winter, etc etc. We'll be staying in Arbour Lake from 12th to 25th October - but happy to travel wherever as we really want to see what different areas are like.

Hope to hear from some of you - Mary
Old Oct 8th 2011, 12:26 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: free coffee in Calgary?

Mary.....perhaps the reason you haven't had any takers YET, is because your offer of "cake and coffee" seems low compared to what you want in return?

Up the stakes to a steak lunch/dinner perhaps and see what happens

One thing is for sure, you will need a Van, Surburban or Escalade ( with or without spinning rims ) to get around
Old Oct 8th 2011, 8:43 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

I don't live in Calgary so I can't help. However, in Vancouver the offer of free beer is usually enough to lure me to the aid of an uncertain potential expat.
Old Oct 9th 2011, 4:04 am
Forum Regular

KAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really nice

We would trade info for a world cup rugby ball (OH is a Rugby Freak)

We live in Airdrie, just north of Calgary. Have been here for 3yrs now and love it. Have a 15yr old girl in school in Airdrie, both hubby and I work North Calgary.

Seriously, we would be happy to meet with you and give you our impressions.
Old Oct 9th 2011, 5:03 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

I think you'll love Arbour Lake. Your kids will be of an age to take advantage of the lake facilities (ours are rather older!).

You are within spitting distance of "Crowfoot Village", for most of your shopping needs, and Market Mall is 15 mins away for more fashionable shopping! There is a good bus service and the C-train is within easy reach for downtown etc.

Also being on the western side of town, Highway 1 to the mountains is close, as is Stoney Trail if you want to head north or to the airport.

We live in Arbour Lake (can you tell?) and really like the area.

There is a new(ish) middle school in the community, and a new High School is just being built on Nose Hill Drive (opens 2012), so kids will not have to bus to Bowness any more. This is right next to the YMCA (swimming pool) and Crowfoot Arena (hockey), and also a large public library.

What's not to like? I suppose it's not quite as "treed" as some of the more mature neighbourhoods, gardens are somewhat smaller and boring, and houses are more of the cookie-cutter variety, .... although they do use several different cookie-cutters!
Old Oct 9th 2011, 5:10 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ultrarunner
Mary.....perhaps the reason you haven't had any takers YET, is because your offer of "cake and coffee" seems low compared to what you want in return?
I think the main reason was that the post was made at 1.21 am our time!
Old Oct 9th 2011, 5:48 am
Forum Regular

sliam37 is a jewel in the roughsliam37 is a jewel in the roughsliam37 is a jewel in the roughsliam37 is a jewel in the rough

Thank you for the replies. Am PMing you!

Yes, can offer beer too! Offer still open!

We were looking forward to escaping the rugby for a while (it's not football is it?), but in fact it's got quite exciting now and already my husband is talking about finding somewhere to watch the semis!
Old Oct 9th 2011, 5:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

Can you tell us a little about you guys as a family? What you are in to etc.

I may be able to met up- but we are pretty busy in the next couple of weeks.

Possible to meet up at soccer dome etc..........
Old Oct 9th 2011, 5:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sliam37
Hi,

My family and I are coming over to Calgary for 12 days to check it out (and plan to send in our finalised FSW application when we get back home). We're a family of 5, with 3 children 13, 10 and 8.

We've made the expensive decision to come over for a holiday / check it out as we want to be really sure of our decision to move to Calgary permanently, hopefully in 2012. Having gone through the whole emigration thing (NZ) six years ago, and now having children at an age where ideally we would not move them from their schools, let alone continent, we are very aware that it's often the intangibles that can be the difference between wanting to live somewhere, and not.

If any of you already in Calgary fancy a free coffee and cake, we'd love to treat you. Only condition is that you give us some of your impressions on life in Calgary - eg: schooling and education system, settling in, areas to live, leisure, affordability, housing, difficulties, snow, winter, etc etc. We'll be staying in Arbour Lake from 12th to 25th October - but happy to travel wherever as we really want to see what different areas are like.

Hope to hear from some of you - Mary
I am still in England but would have been happy to meet with you for a coffee and share what little I know about Calgary with you had I been there!

I would like to ask you why you are wanting to move out of NZ. Do you mind telling us why? (Reason I ask is because if we can't get into Canada NZ would be on our list!)
Old Oct 9th 2011, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

Hi, have PMd you guys. For the record we're quite active - running, football (soccer), skiing and snowboarding, geocaching, kayaking etc. That's what we've loved about NZ, the opportunity to do all those things. Admittedly we could run and play football for ever in UK, but the skiing, kayaking part of things, and such like, were rather out of our reach with 3 kids.
Old Oct 9th 2011, 7:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sliam37
Admittedly we could run and play football for ever in UK, but the skiing, kayaking part of things, and such like, were rather out of our reach with 3 kids.
Skiing I understand, but why can't you go kayaking? They don't cost much to buy (shouldn't be more than £50 second hand) and then all you need to do is find a river! We've got a local waterside centre that loans out canoe/kayaks for free so regularly pop down there for the afternoon, but even without that facility it's not an expensive hobby in the UK.
Old Oct 9th 2011, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

Fair enough, it's a long time since we've been in the uk!