Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Food we're going to miss

Food we're going to miss

Old Feb 8th 2018, 8:32 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Food we're going to miss

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
True story - When Mrs AX (A Canadian) and I lived together in the UK I used to cook proper bacon and she'd eat the tail (the streaky bit) and give me the decent fleshy bit. These days, I've learned to embrace Canadian bacon but it must be crispy, mind. Loblaws used to do a passable British bacon "Wiltshire Cure" but I gather it's been discontinued. You can get smoked Lou's Peameal which is OK but not a patch on decent British (or Danish) stuff.
AX, please don't ever buy Danish bacon. - animal welfare reasons. As an East Anglian chap I'm sure you're well used to seeing Norfolk & Suffolk pigs enjoying life in the open. Danish bacon is almost exclusively intensive factory agro-industrial stuff.
Old Feb 8th 2018, 8:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Almost everything is available, if you don't mind paying for it!
You know in the grand scheme of things 'british' cuisine doesn't rise to the top of world cuisines and generally has a bland, overcooked reputation in which regional specialities have been whitewashed a lot. Compared to Italian, French, Spanish, oriental or middle eastern specialities, 'british' cuisine doesn't hold up well...now if we're talking sense of humour and level of banterdom then Britain can hold its head up high.

If I was to tell a non-brit that a web forum of expats were getting all nostalgic for food from Britain that they can't get here in Canada, I believe there would be a lot of bemused looks.
Old Feb 8th 2018, 8:48 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
You know in the grand scheme of things 'british' cuisine doesn't rise to the top of world cuisines and generally has a bland, overcooked reputation in which regional specialities have been whitewashed a lot. Compared to Italian, French, Spanish, oriental or middle eastern specialities, 'british' cuisine doesn't hold up well...now if we're talking sense of humour and level of banterdom then Britain can hold its head up high.

If I was to tell a non-brit that a web forum of expats were getting all nostalgic for food from Britain that they can't get here in Canada, I believe there would be a lot of bemused looks.
Would you tell them in English?
Old Feb 8th 2018, 9:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Never mind telling a non-Brit .................... this former Brit but long-time Canadian (50 years out of GB) gets bemused at all the nostalgia!

I don't remember British food with too much fondness!
Old Feb 8th 2018, 9:18 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
True story - When Mrs AX (A Canadian) and I lived together in the UK I used to cook proper bacon and she'd eat the tail (the streaky bit) and give me the decent fleshy bit. These days, I've learned to embrace Canadian bacon but it must be crispy, mind. Loblaws used to do a passable British bacon "Wiltshire Cure" but I gather it's been discontinued. You can get smoked Lou's Peameal which is OK but not a patch on decent British (or Danish) stuff.
Try the Lou's double smoked back bacon - it's very close to UK bacon.

Back Bacon | Lou's BBQ
Old Feb 8th 2018, 9:21 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

You know in the grand scheme of things 'british' cuisine doesn't rise to the top of world cuisines and generally has a bland, overcooked reputation in which regional specialities have been whitewashed a lot. Compared to Italian, French, Spanish, oriental or middle eastern specialities, 'british' cuisine doesn't hold up well..

I suppose it depends how you look at it. Tell someone to think of food from those other countries and they'll likely picture a specific meal. It would probably be the same with Britain, albeit more limited to Roast Beef or Fish and chips.

With a few exceptions I think most of the "can I get" or "what's an alternative" questions have been about peripheral things or extras. A particular brand. A comfort if you will.

It's Marmite for toast - we're not looking to replace the bread.
HP or Daddies Brown sauce - it's just a dollop.
Something with less sugar/salt.
A chocolate bar - you just want the one you like best.
We're puzzled that Canadian cheese sent to the UK costs less there (and it's tastier) than it does in Canada.
Or it's Squash - the drink.
Or Real ale instead of something cold and fizzy.

I daresay that a Spanish person living in France might hanker after Chorizo sausages or someone in Italy might say "Pasta...again?"

Maybe if you were in France for an extended period you might think you've got the rest of your life for all those sauces and cheeses so what's wrong with a plate of poutine or spotted dick and custard once in a while?
Old Feb 8th 2018, 9:22 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
I don't remember British food with too much fondness!
Not even bread and dripping?
Old Feb 9th 2018, 12:04 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Scampi and chips in a basket with a half of lager sitting in front of a roaring fireplace.
Old Feb 9th 2018, 12:09 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Not even bread and dripping?
I must have been deprived ........... I've never eaten bread and dripping!

Tripe, marinated herrings or mackerel, even horse meat, but not bread and dripping
Old Feb 9th 2018, 12:10 am
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by bats
Scampi and chips in a basket with a half of lager sitting in front of a roaring fireplace.
I think that's more a missed era...or do pubs still do that?

I can't remember the last time I saw that available. Must have been The Cat and Fiddle pub somewhere between Bristol and Exmouth.
Old Feb 9th 2018, 12:16 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

The basket might be missing but they must still serve scampi somewhere? It's at least 20 years since I've been able to eat breaded stuff or drink lager so for me it probably is missing an era.

I do miss gastropubs. Everywhere here has the same menu, deep fried something in bread with fries or a salad.
Old Feb 9th 2018, 12:43 am
Oscar nominated

I do miss gastropubs. Everywhere here has the same menu, deep fried something in bread with fries or a salad.
We have one downtown. Tide and Boar.
A few basics on the menu but plenty of different things. I'll pass on the Boar Poutine though.
Old Feb 9th 2018, 12:53 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

The basket might be missing but they must still serve scampi somewhere? It's at least 20 years since I've been able to eat breaded stuff or drink lager so for me it probably is missing an era.

There's tons of gastro-pubs in my area.. none of them sell scampi n chips though, lol (and not a lot of fried foods at the better ones).

Old Feb 9th 2018, 1:00 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

I know a man who was a project foreman in Ft Mac and when his guys complained they "couldn't get no good seal meat here" he organised shipments of flippers and salt cod and Jesus knows what else for them by air from Newfoundland. He gave me about 10 lbs of the salt cod.
Old Feb 9th 2018, 1:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
We have one downtown. Tide and Boar.
A few basics on the menu but plenty of different things. I'll pass on the Boar Poutine though.
$20 for 0.5 l serving of cider I know its 'local' and all but is there really a market for that in Moncton. I think my wife's cousin worked there in the past.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.