Food we're going to miss

Food we're going to miss

Old Feb 6th 2018, 1:53 pm
Just Joined

NealAndMel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Food we're going to miss

Hello folks !
First post, treat me gentle.

We've got our one way flight booked to Vancouver in May armed with PR and looking forward to fun and frolics in our new life. Have lived our whole life in London (we're fast approaching 50) so looking forward to having a go at it in a new and different city (and weekend skiing Whoop Whoop )

Very interested in peoples personal experience of those foods from home that they miss? I'm sure there's a thread somewhere but I can't find it with the search.

We mainly cook fresh from scratch, so broadly the same meat,fish and veg (better steak & fish?) and am sure we can buy the necessary curry spices. Looking forward to trying the different veg varieties that will be around.

Expecting to miss:
A good cup of tea (Amazon to the rescue?)
Unsweetened bread (buy a breadmaker?)
Brown sauce
Baked beans
I can take or leave marmite
I'm taking my coffee bean to cup machine (and a step down power thingumy)
European style chocolate?
European style bacon
A good whisky (but checking out the whisky thread)
I know from previous visits that beer isn't going to be an issue.

What else in your collective wealth of experience?

Last edited by NealAndMel; Feb 6th 2018 at 2:06 pm.
Old Feb 6th 2018, 2:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Food we're going to miss

Originally Posted by NealAndMel
Hello folks !

We've got our one way flight booked to Vancouver in May armed with PR and looking forward to fun an frolics in our new life. Have lived our whole life in London (we're fast approaching 50) so looking forward to having a go at it in a new and different city (and weekend skiing Whoop Whoop )

Very interested in peoples personal experience of those foods from home that they miss? I'm sure there's a thread somewhere but I can't find it with the search.

We mainly cook fresh from scratch, so broadly the same meat,fish and veg (better steak & fish?) and am sure we can buy the necessary curry spices. Looking forward to trying the different veg varieties that will be around.

Expecting to miss:
Brown sauce
Baked beans
I'm taking my coffee bean to cup (and a step down power thingumy)

Hi and welcome to BE.

Tea - you can get Tetleys / Yorkshire Tea here no probs from main supermarkets. Orange Pekoe = your standard cuppa.
Baked beans - buy the 'british style' Heinz in supermarkets & no bother there
Marmite is available, but pricey
Bread we buy from a local baker

Don't buy the rest.

I miss pork pies & decent cheese (at affordable prices)
And fish fingers that haven't been minced to death.
Old Feb 6th 2018, 2:03 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome aboard! A few foods you might miss, but lots of nice Asian (Chinese, Japanese, Korean) foods to explore.
Old Feb 6th 2018, 2:04 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Hello folks !

We've got our one way flight booked to Vancouver in May armed with PR and looking forward to fun an frolics in our new life. Have lived our whole life in London (we're fast approaching 50) so looking forward to having a go at it in a new and different city (and weekend skiing Whoop Whoop )

Expecting to miss:
Brown sauce
Baked beans
I'm taking my coffee bean to cup (and a step down power thingumy)

All of those things are available (some for a price) in the small city I live in on the Far East coast. One imagines they'll easily be available in the metropolis of Vancouver.
Old Feb 6th 2018, 2:06 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
All of those things are available (some for a price) in the small city I live in on the Far East coast. One imagines they'll easily be available in the metropolis of Vancouver.
I thought you guys just ate whale blubber?
Old Feb 6th 2018, 2:13 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
I thought you guys just ate whale blubber?
Cod testicles
Old Feb 6th 2018, 2:13 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Shard
Welcome aboard! A few foods you might miss, but lots of nice Asian (Chinese, Japanese, Korean) foods to explore.
One of our reasons for choosing Van - we've found amazing places on previous visits.
Old Feb 6th 2018, 2:14 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Excellent ! Thanks. Glad my preconceptions and memories are worse than the reality
Old Feb 6th 2018, 2:18 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Hawkmoon77
Hi and welcome to BE.
Don't buy the rest.

Thanks.

Cheese worries me. Canadian cheddar YES, but worried about my extreme taste in hurty blue cheese!

Scotch eggs, pork pies and sausage rolls I'll miss , I'm sure I'll find the local dirty food equivalent. I'm pretty sure some of the "artisan" bars & food places in gas town will have some attempts at these.
Old Feb 6th 2018, 2:27 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.

Cheese worries me. Canadian cheddar YES, but worried about my extreme taste in hurty blue cheese!

Scotch eggs, pork pies and sausage rolls I'll miss , I'm sure I'll find the local dirty food equivalent. I'm pretty sure some of the "artisan" bars & food places in gas town will have some attempts at these.
You can get the hurty blue cheese in NS for a fee, I am more than sure you will be able to find it in Vancouver
And what you will find is a wealth of new food to try. If you like dining out look for a TV show called "You gotta eat here", covers Canadian restaurants, hole in wall establishments and everything in between.
Old Feb 6th 2018, 2:34 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Toronto's not Vancouver but here I think the only food that's eaten in London or in France that's hard to find here is jellied eels. There's a lack of good Mexican restaurants but I suspect that's true of London. Some "foods" from remote corners of the UK, mushy peas and reformatted offal dishes such as blood pudding, might be hard to locate. I haven't looked.
Old Feb 6th 2018, 2:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hawkmoon77
Hi and welcome to BE.

Tea - you can get Tetleys / Yorkshire Tea here no probs from main supermarkets. Orange Pekoe = your standard cuppa.
Baked beans - buy the 'british style' Heinz in supermarkets & no bother there
Marmite is available, but pricey
Bread we buy from a local baker

Don't buy the rest.

Jaysus, even when they import tea they get it wrong. Where's the Barry's TeaAh luckily Amazon have it https://www.amazon.ca/Barrys-Gold-Bl.../dp/B0001SVZGE

Last edited by Moses2013; Feb 6th 2018 at 2:46 pm.
Old Feb 6th 2018, 2:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Howefamily
You can get the hurty blue cheese in NS for a fee, I am more than sure you will be able to find it in Vancouver
And what you will find is a wealth of new food to try. If you like dining out look for a TV show called "You gotta eat here", covers Canadian restaurants, hole in wall establishments and everything in between.
That'll be on the watch list, love new food and experiences.
Old Feb 6th 2018, 7:15 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

For tea, you can find PG Tips at Sobey's. For a price. But unfortunately there is no Sobey's in Vancouver. However, Save On Foods has recently enhanced their British offerings in a special isle marked as Tesco (guess the king of creative accounting will be supplying all the good stuff to British Columbians through Save On). I hope its not too long until they start shelving some PG Tips in there.
Old Feb 6th 2018, 8:15 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

If you want good cheese (Chedder) go to Cost-co. They sell Dubliner and Colliers. The price is generally ok (around $10 for 300g) sometimes Dubliner is on offer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.