Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Flag Etiquette in Canada

Flag Etiquette in Canada

Old Nov 15th 2011, 8:17 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flag Etiquette in Canada

Originally Posted by JonboyE
That the inhabitants of the house are into the swinging lifestyle.
If that is the case then we are big time swingers. I have different varieties of grass in front and at the back, 2 of them at about 10ft tall right now
Old Nov 15th 2011, 8:34 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ultrarunner
Yeah that beats me
Atta' boy......I think the whole don't fly the country flag in-country because it offends some, is a load of pogwash that the UK Govt pulled out of their backside. I never came across anyone that I knew when living back in blighty that had issues with it
If that is the case then we are big time swingers. I have different varieties of grass in front and at the back, 2 of them at about 10ft tall right now
maybe you could take a minute to figure our how the "multi-quote" thing works and do it all as one post
Old Nov 15th 2011, 8:38 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
maybe you could take a minute to figure our how the "multi-quote" thing works and do it all as one post

I'll get right on that
Old Nov 15th 2011, 8:43 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

The 2 Scottish national flags and the Nova Scotia flag are very similar indeed, and I like it
Attached Thumbnails Flag Etiquette in Canada-q-icon-scottish-flag-3.jpg   Flag Etiquette in Canada-rampflag.gif   Flag Etiquette in Canada-zflagnovascotia.gif  
Old Nov 15th 2011, 9:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Been in Court for most of the day.

I do find it bizarre that being proud of something indicates superiority and find it totally bizarre that flying a flag of one's country could ever be offensive. I guess I am more tolerant than others

I also find it bizarre that people wish to assume that people are making a point that is not obvious by doing everyday things.
Old Nov 15th 2011, 9:58 pm

Bali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian

I do find it bizarre that being proud of something indicates superiority and find it totally bizarre that flying a flag of one's country could ever be offensive. I guess I am more tolerant than most
Well there was a pretty big linkage to the NF for many years so that linkage did tend to be offensive or distasteful to many, me included, perhaps 10-20 yrs ago maybe, no doubt influenced by locality also.

Less so now the Union Jack & its components more assoc with sport now, but then I don't particularly want to be associated with football either
Old Nov 15th 2011, 9:59 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Flying a flag is a bit like having a giant inflatable santa on your lawn at christmas - there's nothing especially wrong with it other than it just being a bit naff.
Old Nov 15th 2011, 10:05 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian

I do find it bizarre that being proud of something indicates superiority and find it totally bizarre that flying a flag of one's country could ever be offensive. I guess I am more tolerant than others

I also find it bizarre that people wish to assume that people are making a point that is not obvious by doing everyday things.
Must be the same folks from the other thread, that think remembrance day is pointless? It's not any different than flaunting that you are a Novocastrian, a pool, spurs, Barca or Milan fan
Old Nov 16th 2011, 12:09 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bali2010
Well there was a pretty big linkage to the NF for many years
I think you'd have to be pretty old not to have grown up with that association and to think of the flag as first being that of the NF and then that of the football team. Sure, one can argue that the flag isn't necessarily offensive, just as the swastika is an ancient good luck symbol, but flying it outside an ordinary house is a finger raised either to Catholics or to the enemies of the NF, depending on location within the UK. Flying such a flag is offensive to some and achieves nothing, there's need for such rudery. The local equivalent would be the Confederate flag, something one sees more than often enough.

Last edited by dbd33; Nov 16th 2011 at 12:12 am.
Old Nov 16th 2011, 12:13 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Cookie
The 2 Scottish national flags and the Nova Scotia flag are very similar indeed, and I like it

Like Rod will say "Da Ya Think I'm Sexy"? Yes they are
Old Nov 16th 2011, 3:23 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Must be the same folks from the other thread, that think remembrance day is pointless? It's not any different than flaunting that you are a Novocastrian, a pool, spurs, Barca or Milan fan
I for one have not commented on said thread.
Old Nov 16th 2011, 3:43 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Tangram
I for one have not commented on said thread.
Guilty Conscience much?
Old Nov 16th 2011, 3:58 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Guilty Conscience much?
What the **** does that mean ?
Old Nov 16th 2011, 4:02 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Ultrarunner is apparently in the army so as a result everyone on this forum owes him some debt of gratitude.
Old Nov 16th 2011, 4:04 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Based on previous poster performance it may be too much to expect it to have meaning in the traditional sense...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.