Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

First trip back to the UK - what a dump!

First trip back to the UK - what a dump!

Old Jan 2nd 2012, 5:39 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First trip back to the UK - what a dump!

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I went back in April last year and had the opposite reaction. It was idylic and made me question my entire reasons for emigrating and even now I can't think of a good reason to be here. Nothing against Canada, but I really can't see myself staying here beyond citizenship.
where would you move back to?
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 5:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
Genius! Emigrate away from snobs and chavs to find Brits in a different country to befriend.
Out of everything you said, this is the only part I agree with. I don't get it with Brit's in general. How many times haven't we seen on here Brits coming on line saying they can't put up with the immigration in to UK so they are emigrating themselves to get away from the immigrants?

And what baffled me was the TV documentaries on British Expats in Spain, France, Bulgaria who never even made an effort to integrate in to the local community but instead built their own little British villages with British stores and not learning the local language. And when asked why not the response was "they're foreigners". What the heck is up with that?

Just the other day watching "A place in the sun" or whatever it was, they suggested a place in Portugal which looked exactly like any given suburban street in UK. I fell about laughing.
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 6:47 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I like chavs and find them quite charming and affable. I definitely prefer them to all the gangsters around here with their guns and complete disregard for life. There was another fatal stabbing during a fight just last Friday night.
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 7:00 pm
Forum Regular

ergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud of

it's not that bad back in England at all! Maybe in the shitty Home Counties suburban desert... I look forward to every visit back to the homestead. And I refuse to believe all this stuff about it being more expensive there than in Canada.

And as for the size of houses... England simply isn't big enough to be able to sustain the kind of faux palaces you get here in Canada. Unless you want to suburbanize the whole damn country.

Originally Posted by YYZlover
And what baffled me was the TV documentaries on British Expats in Spain, France, Bulgaria who never even made an effort to integrate in to the local community but instead built their own little British villages with British stores and not learning the local language. And when asked why not the response was "they're foreigners". What the heck is up with that?
I despise those people. Especially since they're typically the type that moan the most about immigrants not integrating back at home.

Last edited by ergyngfeld; Jan 2nd 2012 at 7:02 pm.
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 7:11 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ergyngfeld
I despise those people. Especially since they're typically the type that moan the most about immigrants not integrating back at home.
But they are not really very different than many, many posters in the canadian section of this website.
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 7:30 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

To be honest I don't really know what 'integration' entails? I think one can be pleasant and courteous to people without having to frequent Tim Horton's, drink crap beer and watch ice hockey.
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 7:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boy d
Same with me....having left school in the early 80s, uni was not even a realistic option. Here I was easily able to gain entry to uni and earned a degree. To contrast the two nations, the uk was an attitude of don't bother, while here it was nothing but encouragement and sound advice. The uk of the 80s had a great way of destroying optimism and positivity....never encountered that here.

To be honest, it's swings and roundabouts. Comparing Vancouver to the major areas I lived in the uk, Vancouver offers way more, in terms of standard of living. Comparing small towns does not fair as well. I don't miss the English attitude, at least where I was from and the pub being the centre of the universe. I also experienced more violence and hatred in the uk....and that's speaking as a copper.

I think we tend to view places from the perspective of where we are from and where are and how well one suits vs the other. Generalizations are bound to follow.
Didn't those attending Uni in the 80s qualify for grants and not have to pay tuition fees? Were you not clever enough to be admitted in the UK but were in Canada? Is it the fault of the UK that you mixed in circles you describe above? It is not the UK I recognize at all (being someone that could have gone to Uni in the 80s.
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 8:53 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

I own a house in a village not far from Hove, and I spend a few months there each year. I can't say I've noticed many "chavs" in East Sussex, but I'm not sure how I'd recognise one, and anyway I don't get into Hove much. I prefer Brighton.

I've just come back from my gym in downtown Edmonton. As usual, the downtown area seemed inhabited by miserable, lost looking people, lethargically shuffling around, like a scene from a zombie movie.

But, I guess Ontario is different.
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Didn't those attending Uni in the 80s qualify for grants and not have to pay tuition fees? Were you not clever enough to be admitted in the UK but were in Canada? Is it the fault of the UK that you mixed in circles you describe above? It is not the UK I recognize at all (being someone that could have gone to Uni in the 80s.
In the 1980s only about 9% of school leavers attended university and the places were extremely rationed. And, if you were unfortunate to have to attend one those educational dustbins called secondary moderns your chances of being channeled into HE were very slim indeed. Of course the easy thing at that time was to blame the children instead of taking responsibility for their class ridden prejudice.
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 9:17 pm
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
It was much more difficult, granted not impossible. Grants made it extremely difficult for all but the most gifted to get in.....no the case here. I was sharing my experiences. Yes. I suspect the uk does bear at least some, blame given the crime ridden, poverty stricken hole I grew up in.....would have been tough to up and leave at 15

Canada is much more equal and fair from my point of view a far as post secondary education went.....

Last edited by Boy d; Jan 2nd 2012 at 9:19 pm.
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 9:41 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheBear
I'm moving on...said what I wanted, I left the UK for the very reasons I saw when I went back. I moved to Canada for the very reasons that I experience while living here. I'm allowed to the dislike the UK, I do...enough said.

For those who slag off Barrie, you're right. it's a complete tip, please don't change your views, please stay away.
Actually, we did go and I, at least, delighted in the white trash stereotypes on display; gypsies and wiggas.
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 10:08 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Watching the local news. A main story is about the two murders and the dozen stabbings since new year.

There is also this:

http://www.thestar.com/news/article/...s-service?bn=1

though some of the fighting does look a bit crap.

Last edited by lmartin999; Jan 2nd 2012 at 10:10 pm.
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 10:39 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Just landed back from the UK 3 hours ago.

It was great catching up with family and friends and nice to watch thinking man's TV like Eastenders. I thought Pat Butcher was indestructible

It was good to go to decent supermarkets and do some proper shopping.

I did however miss the bar in my lobby somewhat.

On New Years Eve Eve (day before New Year). I found myself in an expensive bar in Mayfair. The Mojito's were being made by simply throwing all the ingredients in a glass, adding a spoon and a half of brown sugar and stirring it with a spoon. Unfortunately in an attempt to beat the happy hour promo deadline I ended up with four of the things.

I also got held up in London because someone had committed suicide on the train tracks apparently it is happening quite often at the mo.

I also squeezed in some trips to Birmingham and Bristol for some top nights out.

Mixed feelings about returning to Toronto but I enjoy my job and should make good cash this year. That combined with my amazing commute of a 10 minute walk each day will keep me ticking over.

I think the OP is still on their honey moon period. If some one told me I had to live in Barrie or head back to the UK I would've been landing at Heathrow before they got to the "or".
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 10:41 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

My experience on BE over the years is that it is frequently those that slag of the UK with the most vehemence that are the ones that crawl back there with their tail between their legs when the new land of milk and honey (whether it be Canada or anywhere else) doesn't quite live up to the initial rose-tinted aspect.
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 10:43 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lmartin999
Watching the local news. A main story is about the two murders and the dozen stabbings since new year.

There is also this:

http://www.thestar.com/news/article/...s-service?bn=1

though some of the fighting does look a bit crap.
They also forgot to put their hoodies up!

I checked out the Star yesterday to find out what I had been missing.

Headline story was a young black male murdered in a drive by shooting on New Years Day just down the road in Scarborough.

All this gang land activity and misbehaving youth is turning Toronto into Vancouver.......

Last edited by JamesM; Jan 2nd 2012 at 10:50 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.