Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

First trip back to the UK - what a dump!

First trip back to the UK - what a dump!

Old Jan 6th 2012, 3:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First trip back to the UK - what a dump!

Originally Posted by teacher1000
well hamilton for example, is smaller than toronto and so is kitchener and bands play there.
Basichttp://britishexpats.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=9824941ally what I was getting at was that in hereford, you'd have a hard time finding bands to see which is something I personally rate as important.

http://www.rbc.com/economics/market/pdf/fmm.pdf
that's for a start.

http://www.monbiot.com/2011/12/19/ho...ecame-tyranny/

http://www.investortoday.co.uk/news_...ases-across-uk

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/...plan_1_4015311

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2...ension-reforms

http://www.monbiot.com/2011/12/12/unmasking-the-press/

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...eron-wellbeing

I'm sure some of those articles sum up what's really going on and how people are feeling about it.
It doesnt' appear that you are getting this: Please provide me with community in Canada that has a population of 55,000 ish, that isn't attached to a larger place, where one can see the kinds of bands you expect to see in Toronto
Old Jan 6th 2012, 3:55 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

well hamilton for example, is smaller than toronto and so is kitchener and bands play there.
Basichttp://britishexpats.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=9824941ally what I was getting at was that in hereford, you'd have a hard time finding bands to see which is something I personally rate as important.

http://www.rbc.com/economics/market/pdf/fmm.pdf
that's for a start.

http://www.monbiot.com/2011/12/19/ho...ecame-tyranny/

http://www.investortoday.co.uk/news_...ases-across-uk

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/...plan_1_4015311

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2...ension-reforms

http://www.monbiot.com/2011/12/12/unmasking-the-press/

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...eron-wellbeing

I'm sure some of those articles sum up what's really going on and how people are feeling about it.
And all those newspapers are totally unbiased of course, aren't they..
Old Jan 6th 2012, 5:34 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Yep I agree about the british canadian thing. Although, not impossible, it does require work.
I'm sure you'll end up thinking "there's no place like home" but hopefully, it will make an adequate substitution. I've only ever visited Nova Scotia, so I don't know what it's actually like to live there.
The problems with Canada that it combines dullness with abject racism. It not very pleasant to hear some dullard's racist rant about the First Nations and so-called 'land claims', but its so prevalent here, like drinking and driving they all seem to accept it. It's like living in the early 1970s in the UK.
Old Jan 6th 2012, 5:38 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
The problems with Canada that it combines dullness with abject racism. It not very pleasant to hear some dullard's racist rant about the First Nations and so-called 'land claims', but its so prevalent here, like drinking and driving they all seem to accept it. It's like living in the early 1970s in the UK.
"Love Thy Neighbour" type ?
Old Jan 6th 2012, 5:51 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
"Love Thy Neighbour" type ?
You know its nasty and painful but it so frequent here that you get that horrible numbness like you get at the dentist with novacaine.
Old Jan 6th 2012, 6:29 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Hamilton, because it pull's US teens across from buffalo!!! as much as it pulls form the rest of the GTA (think Us drinking age limitations)

Again Kitchener sits on the edge of the GTA and also has several other major cities close (part of the golden horse and that holds 25% of the population of canada)

But you know this......................!
Old Jan 7th 2012, 8:06 am
Forum Regular

teacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really nice

Originally Posted by MikeUK
Hamilton, because it pull's US teens across from buffalo!!! as much as it pulls form the rest of the GTA (think Us drinking age limitations)

Again Kitchener sits on the edge of the GTA and also has several other major cities close (part of the golden horse and that holds 25% of the population of canada)

But you know this......................!
Well that IS the way that Canada works. Anyways, I think what I was getting at, was that Hereford is a nice place, but there would be things there that I would want to do, that I wouldn't be able to because of size + location. Kitchener is still a pretty big place by comparison, you're right, but it's small in comparison to Toronto or Hamilton itself. I can't actually name you a place with 55,000 people in it because of the fact that they are all interconnected.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 8:07 am
Forum Regular

teacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Oink
now THAT, is a total generalisation.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 10:51 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Well that IS the way that Canada works. Anyways, I think what I was getting at, was that Hereford is a nice place, but there would be things there that I would want to do, that I wouldn't be able to because of size + location. Kitchener is still a pretty big place by comparison, you're right, but it's small in comparison to Toronto or Hamilton itself. I can't actually name you a place with 55,000 people in it because of the fact that they are all interconnected.
Belleville has about that number but, if you're going to count every venue in the relentless concrete that is suburban Toronto, from Kitchener to Oshawa, then you should count every venue in England south of Watford and east of Bath.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 12:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dbd33
Belleville has about that number but, if you're going to count every venue in the relentless concrete that is suburban Toronto, from Kitchener to Oshawa, then you should count every venue in England south of Watford and east of Bath.
hmm well the point was, there wouldn't be much for me to do in hereford as the lifestyle I lead would differ greatly from what is out there. The same would apply to Belleville.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 2:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

CANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of light

hmm well the point was, there wouldn't be much for me to do in hereford as the lifestyle I lead would differ greatly from what is out there. The same would apply to Belleville.
They sell the Guardian in Hereford so you'll be fine.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 3:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by CANADIAN CARPERS
They sell the Guardian in Hereford so you'll be fine.
LOL okay!
Old Feb 26th 2012, 12:41 pm
Forum Regular

FirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really nice

Originally Posted by Cyan
Been following this thread with interest.

It's hard to be objective about something as personal as this - it's like saying my childhood was better than yours. That said, most of the posters who are either for and against the OP's stated views moved from the UK to Canada for whatever reason.

As one of the earlier posters alluded to, I think it is an age thing. The UK is/was definitely a place for young adults, whereas Canada is suited to an older settled crowd. I have fond memories of uni life, and the optimism of living in the UK back in the 90s...[2000s my emphasis].....hopping on EasyJet flights to Europe etc - just a collage of happy memories. But Canada now is where I feel comfortable - be it schooling, the natural scenery, Scandinavian style liberal values(pre-Harper) and laid back life etc.
I think there is something in this point of view. The same holds true for young'ish Canadians of a certain generation, one of whom spent half of their life in equal part in each country. The UK - good transient fun. Canada - better stable security.

FROTSUK
Old Feb 26th 2012, 1:01 pm
Forum Regular

FirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really nice

Replying to Teacher1000's comment recently regarding rural Hereford.

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Hereford is a city. Please tell me, how would the "things to do" differ in, let's say, Hereford as opposed to Vernon B.C. (similar population size), except for the obvious climate based things?
Vernon v Hereford.
Well I can certainly think of a few key differences re "things to do" of an evening...clearly in H's favour mind you

FROTSUK
Old Feb 26th 2012, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JamesM
In time the Toronto Sun will catch up. It's the Canada being 5 to 10 years behind thing again.
Although there is some truth in this sentiment it still amazes me that the British (correction, possibly the English) still think they are leading the world on every advancement, be it social, economic, technical, political, moral or what have you.

Yes - Canada will never compete with The UK on the following, which many might argue are trivial areas:

-Decent mass-produced Ale
-Decent mass-produced Newspapers
-Music & 'Festival Culture' (enough said)
-Telly and Media generally, including local broadcasts (enough said)
-Comedy

I ask you what the above listed items have in common? One thing, Entertainment (or to use Psycho-analyist speak, "escapism"). I would argue that The UK needs a regular dose of this to keep it ticking over.

However if one strays into key public policy areas, such as the Politico-Legal arena, it can be seen that 'the Colonies' have been light years ahead of the Mother Land in some very key areas. One would think that the trend should be in the reverse however it NEVER is that case - why?

An up to date topical one, that of 'Legal Aid' and the cuts, is a good example. BC has for very many years now had what most would consider a 'sensible' approach.

BC argues [as now does Cameron's gang in The UK again, and agian...] that in any developed Western country of one's choosing, that Legal Aid should be reserved for those actually in need, and only in special circumstances, for example Child Protection and serious Domestic Violence cases.

Without any Due Diligence check I am still certain that the position is much the same in Alberta or Ontario.

Make the system work better for the few in real need instead of trying to act as a milky platform for all and sundry with a grievance to litigate at will, and with impunity, due to their often artificial financial 'non-means'.

Why has it take The UK so long to finally realise that it has had its policy so wrong, for so long?

Pick any other countyr with a similar history - New Zealand, for example - and I would think the same 'enlightened' attititude applies.

FROTSUK

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.