Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Favourite Budget beers

View Poll Results: What is your favourite discount/dollar beer?
Lucky
15.38%
James Ready
0%
Muskoka Lager
7.69%
Bohemian
0%
Muskoka Lager
0%
Carling
61.54%
Brava (The beer of summer)
15.38%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Favourite Budget beers

Old Jul 18th 2008, 11:41 pm
No time for muppets!

Mikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of light
Default Favourite Budget beers

What is your favorite discount dollar beer?

Last edited by Mikey B; Jul 18th 2008 at 11:43 pm.
Old Jul 18th 2008, 11:45 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Favourite Budget beers

Originally Posted by Mikey B
What is your favorite discount dollar beer?
Lakeport Honey Lager is passable. When feeling broke I'll have a couple of Fuller's and switch to that. I think we actually make better beer at home but, curiously, it costs more.
Old Jul 18th 2008, 11:51 pm
No time for muppets!

Mikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by dbd33
Lakeport Honey Lager is passable. When feeling broke I'll have a couple of Fuller's and switch to that. I think we actually make better beer at home but, curiously, it costs more.
Its always good to feel broke sometimes and drink laker - laker laker its a buck a beer

Maybe I should try the ultimate cheapo beer drinking exp and brew my own.....
Old Jul 19th 2008, 12:02 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe I should try the ultimate cheapo beer drinking exp and brew my own.....
I just told you, it can be good but it costs more than the buck-a-beer brands.

The ultimate cheapo beer experience is Milwaukee's Best.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 12:06 am
No time for muppets!

Originally Posted by dbd33
I just told you, it can be good but it costs more than the buck-a-beer brands.

The ultimate cheapo beer experience is Milwaukee's Best.
Have to give that a go, havent as yet. Ill get a case for the weekend up north and let you know!
Old Jul 19th 2008, 12:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Never heard of any of them, except Carling, but I wouldn't class that as discount (at least it wasn't "discount" in England)
Old Jul 19th 2008, 1:27 am
No time for muppets!

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Never heard of any of them, except Carling, but I wouldn't class that as discount (at least it wasn't "discount" in England)
You havent heard of them? Do you live in Canada?
Old Jul 19th 2008, 2:46 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

You havent heard of them? Do you live in Canada?
Different beers in different provinces.

I think you might be able to get Lucky in B.C. and I've heard of Carling but not as a cheapo discount beer. All the others are possibly Ontario specific.

You really do need to know that Ontario is not all of Canada.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 11:52 am
No time for muppets!

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Different beers in different provinces.

I think you might be able to get Lucky in B.C. and I've heard of Carling but not as a cheapo discount beer. All the others are possibly Ontario specific.

You really do need to know that Ontario is not all of Canada.
Never said it was but I drank Lucky, James Ready and Bohemian in BC so assumed there was enough choice for all for a fun poll.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 1:06 pm

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

On the topic of alcohol....What's the cider situation like? Is it something that is easily available in bars/the offy?
I am easily pleased when it comes to brands, although Swedish pear cider takes some beating.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 1:12 pm
No time for muppets!

Originally Posted by ireland2canada
On the topic of alcohol....What's the cider situation like? Is it something that is easily available in bars/the offy?
I am easily pleased when it comes to brands, although Swedish pear cider takes some beating.
You got no chance, All I ever drank was cider in the UK but had to drink beer only when moving here. You can get Strongbow in the LCBO (and Im sure other provincial equivalents) but its expensive - $2.50 + tax a tall boy if I remember correct, there is Growers cider brewed in BC thats not bad and is cheaper than that but again its not particularly common, you say cider to a Canadian and they think hot apple cider drank round a camp fire at the cottage.

As for bars you will find it in about 5% of the them at best in my experience, the only 1 I know has it 100% of the time is the Bier Market on the Esplanade in TO (they have over a hundred beers from around the world so lots of choice.)
Old Jul 19th 2008, 1:39 pm

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

Mikey, you have now ruined my day.
I might have to get accomstomed to beer then *shudder*
I was also holding out hope for flavoured vodkas, absolut and the like.

As for bars you will find it in about 5% of the them at best in my experience, the only 1 I know has it 100% of the time is the Bier Market on the Esplanade in TO (they have over a hundred beers from around the world so lots of choice.)
I've just found my new 'regular' then. I like their website. It looks rather more clean & civilised than I am used to, but we all have to adapt.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 2:36 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

You got no chance, All I ever drank was cider in the UK but had to drink beer only when moving here. You can get Strongbow in the LCBO (and Im sure other provincial equivalents) but its expensive - $2.50 + tax a tall boy if I remember correct, there is Growers cider brewed in BC thats not bad and is cheaper than that but again its not particularly common, you say cider to a Canadian and they think hot apple cider drank round a camp fire at the cottage.
Along with Strongbow and Growers there is also Okanagan cider in B.C. and Big Rock Brewery in Calgary does a reasonably good cider called Rock Creek available in cans and draft in some pubs.

Just recently I found a product from Vancouver called Green Apple cider very much a green apple flavour it was quite interesting.

On Vancouver Island there is Merridale Estate Cidery but their products are available only on Vancouver Island and in the Vancouver area.

If you want a choice in ciders it would appear B.C. is the place to go to.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 2:52 pm
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

Here in MB the MLCC think Cider is a form of Wine and tax it that way, this makes it horribly expensive. But the whole booze buying experience is a little odd here.

You can buy Beer, Wine and Spirits from Liquor Commission shops (but not any mixers).

You can buy Wine only at specially licensed private Wine only stores (they can only sell products made from grapes).

Beer from "Cold Beer Stores" which HAVE to be part of a Hotel/Motel.

Damn odd I tell ya, Damn odd.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 3:40 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
... I've heard of Carling but not as a cheapo discount beer ...
Discount in taste, not price.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.