Faithophobia

Old Jan 16th 2015, 5:22 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Faithophobia

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Russia in 1917-18? China under the Cultural Revolution? North Korea today?

Plenty of gross injustices carried out without religion being involved. Of course, plenty have been carried out in the name of some god or other, but it's a failing of the human condition, rather than of religious belief, that leads people to damage each other. Religion absolutely has no monopoly on that - philosophy politics and territorial ambition are at least equally to blame
You forgot pol pot.
Old Jan 16th 2015, 5:29 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
You forgot pol pot.
And that Spurs - Man City FC Cup match in 2004.
Old Jan 16th 2015, 5:32 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
<sticks head in>

<Yawns>

<Moves along>
Its easy to flippantly dismiss our concerns while we desperately struggle to reconcile ethical and moral values with theological dogma within western pluralist democratic societies.
Old Jan 16th 2015, 5:35 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Its easy to flippantly dismiss our concerns while we desperately struggle to reconcile ethical and moral values with theological dogma within western pluralist democratic societies.
It is isn't it.
Old Jan 16th 2015, 5:39 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Concerns dismissed!

Old Jan 16th 2015, 5:49 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Russia in 1917-18? China under the Cultural Revolution? North Korea today?

Plenty of gross injustices carried out without religion being involved. Of course, plenty have been carried out in the name of some god or other, but it's a failing of the human condition, rather than of religious belief, that leads people to damage each other. Religion absolutely has no monopoly on that - philosophy politics and territorial ambition are at least equally to blame
The question to consider is what informs the human condition?
Assume two mutually exclusive possibilities:

1. Religion
2. All but religion

My argument is simply that in case 1 (excluding anomalies such dictatorships) there will be more injustice and irrationality than in case 2. That is why I find the "peaceful coexistence" argument tenuous at best.
Old Jan 16th 2015, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by JamesM
Holy sweet potato fries!!!
Old Jan 16th 2015, 5:53 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Sweet potato fries!!!
+111
Old Jan 16th 2015, 5:58 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
The question to consider is what informs the human condition?
Assume two mutually exclusive possibilities:

1. Religion
2. All but religion

My argument is simply that in case 1 (excluding anomalies such dictatorships) there will be more injustice and irrationality than in case 2. That is why I find the "peaceful coexistence" argument tenuous at best.
But your assumptions are a nonsense. Religion informs the human condition in the context of everything else, and everything else informs the human condition in the context of religion. At some utopian point in the long distant future that may cease to be the case, but it is impossible to extract religion from the consciousness of contemporary humanity.

And why are dictatorships anomalous and easy to dismiss? They're been responsible for quite a lot of human misery. How do you even define a dictatorship - what's the difference between a dictatorship and a one-party state with a strong and charismatic leader? You seem happy to throw out as "anomalies" quite a lot of the recent non-religious causes of human suffering, simply because it doesn't serve your argument to exclude them. YOu might just as well say "religious people are all peaceful (excluding fundamentalists, of course, they're anomalies)."
Old Jan 16th 2015, 6:14 pm

But your assumptions are a nonsense. Religion informs the human condition in the context of everything else, and everything else informs the human condition in the context of religion. At some utopian point in the long distant future that may cease to be the case, but it is impossible to extract religion from the consciousness of contemporary humanity.

And why are dictatorships anomalous and easy to dismiss? They're been responsible for quite a lot of human misery. How do you even define a dictatorship - what's the difference between a dictatorship and a one-party state with a strong and charismatic leader? You seem happy to throw out as "anomalies" quite a lot of the recent non-religious causes of human suffering, simply because it doesn't serve your argument to exclude them. YOu might just as well say "religious people are all peaceful (excluding fundamentalists, of course, they're anomalies)."
I thought religion and dictatorship was all about paternal love and worship and when they die or step aside one can finally grow up and realize ones own efficacy as a human being.
Old Jan 16th 2015, 6:34 pm
Yo

I've emboldened what I see as nonsense, as in...it makes no sense. We can't rewind the tape and extract the impact religion has had on our minds, but we can move forward without it. I've never suggested that it can or should be removed from human consciousness, indeed as a myth and story I think it's worthwhile and enjoy early Christian art and visiting churches and Cathedrals.

Dictatorships have (and are) responsible for much human misery. No dispute of that fact. The point is that the 'problem of dictatorships' does not prove that religion is the sole alternative for a fair gentle society. It is an alternative, but arguably an inferior one to say humanism.

Ending religion is not a distant utopian ideal, for most in Europe true belief has already ended. There is probably a downward tipping point in some decades time when almost all Europeans will look to Christian religion as a cultural cannon rather than moral philosophy and supernatural protection.
Old Jan 16th 2015, 6:39 pm

There has been a lot of anti-religion around lately and a cynic might think some of this is poorly disguised racism.

I'm an atheist. The reason I am one is simple: there is no god, the holy books are fiction, and there is no such thing as spirituality other than what people invent in their heads.

I'm not an athiest because I think that religion per se is a great evil and should be stopped. Ultimately any dogmatically followed ideology has the potential to cause misery even ones that are entirely material.
Old Jan 16th 2015, 6:49 pm

There has been a lot of anti-religion around lately and a cynic might think some of this is poorly disguised racism.

I'm an atheist. The reason I am one is simple: there is no god, the holy books are fiction, and there is no such thing as spirituality other than what people invent in their heads.

I'm not an athiest because I think that religion per se is a great evil and should be stopped. Ultimately any dogmatically followed ideology has the potential to cause misery even ones that are entirely material.
The problem arises because religion is identified so strongly with culture. Unless you're very skilled in academic debate, it is difficult for a civilian to have a conversation about theology without conflating this with criticism of culture and cultural practices.
Old Jan 16th 2015, 6:49 pm
Yo

Agreed. I'm obviously a zealot, no apologies, I just abhor injustice and irrationality. Despite a semi-religious upbringing, I've been atheist since the age of ten and always strident in my views.
Old Jan 16th 2015, 6:51 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

I feel slightly differently, because, I've noticed as a woman, a lot of religion's worst strictures seem to fall on my gender. Thus I take religious BS more personally. I've read the "holy" books myself and there's loads of examples of sex discrimination.

An example is this: in spite of it being proven as effective and largely safe, the abortion pill still isn't available in canada. You can't tell me there's not some religious bias going on there - it certainly ISN'T a science-based decision, and yet again, the consequences of that (lack of pill) fall mostly on women. No doubt some smug right wing religious git will be sitting smiling somewhere about that.

Last edited by ExKiwilass; Jan 16th 2015 at 6:53 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.