EU Referendum

Old Jan 14th 2016, 12:27 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EU Referendum

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Perhaps but a lot less expense and hassle than obtaining these citizenships later in life through migration and naturalisation.
True but I am prepared to do that for my future children. I would like them to have two citizenships (British and Canadian) as it will give them options when they grow up
Old Jan 14th 2016, 12:40 am
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
True but I am prepared to do that for my future children. I would like them to have two citizenships (British and Canadian) as it will give them options when they grow up
All being well my kids (if I have any) should be automatically triple citizens on the day they are born. If (see earlier reply) they're unlucky enough to be born in the US they'll be quadruple citizens.
Old Jan 14th 2016, 12:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Great article! Thanks very much. I enjoyed reading it and the other articles it linked to.

S
Old Jan 14th 2016, 12:55 am
BE Enthusiast

FlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond repute

Question for BiP: would voting in the referendum (or a general election) possibly prevent me from losing UK domicile?

Is it true that, when holding UK domicile, HMRC will want a chunk of my assets when I die, even without having set foot in the UK for the last 30 years of my life?
Old Jan 14th 2016, 11:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by orly
Take it he has to file taxes and such like too?

Possibility my wife may end up working in the US in the future and we may end up living there. I've already hinted it would be advisable to make sure any future sprogs are fired out while in Windsor, ON for example.
Originally Posted by bc2015
Could he not just renouce his US citizenship?
Why? Yes US citizenship comes with a few niggles such as the tax stuff and the main one I would be scared of is draft. If they tried to call me into army service i'd definitely just decline/renounce my citizenship. But you only become liable for US tax
a) After you hit over $85,000 per annum. in income (or somewhere similar)
AND
b) The amount of US tax you would potentially owe exceeds the tax you already have paid in your current country of residence. Only then would you have to pay Uncle Sam, and you'd be paying the difference, not the full amount. I'd imagine Canadian taxes and most EU taxes are higher than US so it really shouldn't be an issue.

Also, it has been known that the US likes to give trouble to those who have renounced US citizenship then try to visit the US on their foreign passports. Especially if the person was born in the US.

Also let it be clarified that if a country allows dual citizenship, they don't restrict the amount of citizenships you can hold. You can hold as many as you would like as long as the country doesn't ban dual/multiple citizenship. So little wheels would not have to renounce one of their citizenships, no need to worry

Lastly yes the passport renewal would be expensive IF you renewed all of the passports. I would recommend renewing your Canadian/US ones and ONE EU passport. For example if you were a triple citizen Canadian, Maltese and British, you don't need to keep both the Maltese and British passports current as they are both EU passports and both will grant you equal rights whilst in the EU. The Canadian one you would need. So you don't need to spare the expense to renew all of your passports if it would be redundant to do so. Some even choose to not renew the EU passport and just use a Canadian/US passport when visiting the EU but I think its worth it to have an EU passport current.

Last edited by Gozit; Jan 14th 2016 at 11:28 pm.
Old Jan 15th 2016, 7:30 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Do what?
Old Jan 16th 2016, 5:16 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Do what?
Enable them to have two citizenships
Old Jan 17th 2016, 10:38 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

That still doesn't make any sense.
Old Jan 17th 2016, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by FlyingDutchman6666
Question for BiP: would voting in the referendum (or a general election) possibly prevent me from losing UK domicile?

Is it true that, when holding UK domicile, HMRC will want a chunk of my assets when I die, even without having set foot in the UK for the last 30 years of my life?
I'm no tax expert but voting in a UK election from abroad isn't going to affect your domicile for tax purposes. As I understand it:

UK income and assets are subject to UK tax for anyone - British, foreigner, resident or otherwise.

If you are resident outside the UK and your income and assets are also outside the UK then these won't be subject to UK tax.

If you are resident in the UK and have income/assets held outside the UK then these would be affected by, say, inheritance tax.

The threshold for inheritance tax is being raised to £1 million for couples so, assuming you're married, unless your joint assets are more than this you won't be affected by inheritance tax anyway.
Old Jan 17th 2016, 4:17 pm
Bex in the city

Well if I have child with someone that doesn't have the same nationality as me then yes it does.

Why are you asking these odd questions?
Old Jan 17th 2016, 4:36 pm

Already made plans to ensure any future BIP Jr. has at least three at birth.
Surely more than one is good enough.
Five would be better but my other half is far too broody to arrange all that in time.
and expensive when it comes to renewing all the passports. I only have one to deal with right now. Two would be ideal. Three or more - a nightmare
Perhaps but a lot less expense and hassle than obtaining these citizenships later in life through migration and naturalisation.
Do what?
Well if I have child with someone that doesn't have the same nationality as me then yes it does.

Why are you asking these odd questions?
Because I don't understand your comment, "True but I am prepared to do that for my future children."
Old Jan 17th 2016, 6:38 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FlyingDutchman6666

For the second sentence then yes. UK Inheritance Tax is based on domicile, not residency. If you are domiciled in the UK by birth you remain domiciled in the UK until you take steps to establish a domicile elsewhere. If you do not, then HMRC can charge IT on your worldwide assets.

Back to the first sentence, common sense would say that it should not make any difference. Tax law is not always based on common sense. You are giving HMRC an argument, "if a person has left the UK to live in Canada for the rest of their lives why are they voting in UK elections? Surely voting in a UK election suggests that ties with the UK have not been severed and that person is contemplating, at least, the possibility of a return."
Old Jan 17th 2016, 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by JonboyE
For the second sentence then yes. UK Inheritance Tax is based on domicile, not residency. If you are domiciled in the UK by birth you remain domiciled in the UK until you take steps to establish a domicile elsewhere. If you do not, then HMRC can charge IT on your worldwide assets.

Back to the first sentence, common sense would say that it should not make any difference. Tax law is not always based on common sense. You are giving HMRC an argument, "if a person has left the UK to live in Canada for the rest of their lives why are they voting in UK elections? Surely voting in a UK election suggests that ties with the UK have not been severed and that person is contemplating, at least, the possibility of a return."
Interesting, I wasn't aware of that difference.

https://www.gov.uk/inheritance-tax/w...de-the-uk-dies

Would being registered to vote as an overseas voter have any effect on whether someone was considered to be living abroad permanently or not? That link suggests length of residency is key rather than UK ties per se.
Old Jan 17th 2016, 11:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Because I don't understand your comment, "True but I am prepared to do that for my future children."
I think she means she's prepared to go through the hassle of Canadian immigration and naturalisation as a Canadian citizen, so that regardless of where they are born her children will at least be dual British/Canadian citizens automatically.
Old Jan 17th 2016, 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by Gozit
I think she means she's prepared to go through the hassle of Canadian immigration and naturalisation as a Canadian citizen, so that regardless of where they are born her children will at least be dual British/Canadian citizens automatically.
I got that but it didn't make much sense compared when to compared the previous comments. Never mind.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.