EU Referendum

Old Jan 10th 2016, 6:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute
Default EU Referendum

Hi all,

I had thought that we would be unable to vote in the upcoming EU Referendum, but it seems that British Citizens with less than 15 years overseas can do so. Are any of you planning to vote? (I am not asking how you plan to vote, only if you are planning to!!)

I am probably being a bit lazy, but can anyone tell me how to ensure I will be able to vote for this.

Who will be able to vote?
British, Irish and Commonwealth citizens over 18 who are resident in the UK, along with UK nationals who have lived overseas for less than 15 years. Members of the House of Lords and Commonwealth citizens in Gibraltar will also be eligible, unlike in a general election. Citizens from EU countries - apart from Ireland, Malta and Cyprus - will not get a vote.

A guide to the UK's planned in-out EU referendum - BBC News

S

Last edited by Snowy560; Jan 10th 2016 at 6:58 pm.
Old Jan 10th 2016, 8:46 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Snowy560
Hi all,

I am probably being a bit lazy, but can anyone tell me how to ensure I will be able to vote for this.

S
I'll tell you if you tell me which way you're going to vote first.
Old Jan 10th 2016, 10:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

I think the wording of the Referendum will be:

Remain a member of the EU
or
Leave the EU.

EU referendum: Cameron accepts advice to change wording of question | Politics | The Guardian

Are you going to vote?

S
Old Jan 10th 2016, 10:53 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Are you already registered to vote? Did you vote in the last general election from Canada?

If not then: https://www.gov.uk/register-to-vote
Old Jan 10th 2016, 10:53 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

I believe that anybody who is registered to vote in UK national elections will be eligible to vote in the EU Referendum. I think the requirement is that you have been registered to vote in the UK within the last 15 years.
Old Jan 10th 2016, 11:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Are you already registered to vote? Did you vote in the last general election from Canada?

Thank you!

I'm not sure that I was. I think my daughter registered but I didn't. I should have. This is important to me. I will register.

I feel the relative powerlessness of being a PR in Canada. I am not eligible to take part in the political process here. I need to feel that I count somewhere!

What's the purpose of the "15 year rule"?

S
Old Jan 10th 2016, 11:07 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you!

I'm not sure that I was. I think my daughter registered but I didn't. I should have. This is important to me. I will register.

I feel the relative powerlessness of being a PR in Canada. I am not eligible to take part in the political process here. I need to feel that I count somewhere!

What's the purpose of the "15 year rule"?

S
None other than to disenfranchise British expats. The Conservatives pledged to grant expats 'votes for life' in their manifesto but this hasn't happened as of yet.

Last edited by BritInParis; Jan 10th 2016 at 11:28 pm. Reason: Clarification
Old Jan 10th 2016, 11:12 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I know the feeling. I'm just not convinced that I want to...what's the word...legitimise the politicians here by voting for them and enabling them to carry on rewarding those that helped them get elected.

I feel there's much less of that in the UK than here but I find it hard to vote on UK matters while I no longer live there.
Old Jan 10th 2016, 11:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

I'm probably not as far removed from it as you. It's still only a few years for me since I left. The EU Referendum is something I want to vote on.

I thought I had seen all this stuff saying (or somehow got the impression that), you couldn't actually vote in the Referendum if you didn't live in the UK. Obviously I was (happily) wrong.

So the Conservatives wanted to scrap the 15 year rule so that even if you'd lived away longer you could still vote?

Anyone else intending to vote in the EU ref?

S
Old Jan 10th 2016, 11:44 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

I'm probably not as far removed from it as you. It's still only a few years for me since I left. The EU Referendum is something I want to vote on.

I thought I had seen all this stuff saying (or somehow got the impression that), you couldn't actually vote in the Referendum if you didn't live in the UK. Obviously I was (happily) wrong.

So the Conservatives wanted to scrap the 15 year rule so that even if you'd lived away longer you could still vote?

Anyone else intending to vote in the EU ref?

S
I'm certainly going to vote
Old Jan 10th 2016, 11:51 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm, I'm only 14 years out of blighty, but my last few years there I wasn't registered to vote. Shame cos if like to keep the UK in the EU just to keep the value in the citizenship + passport.
Old Jan 10th 2016, 11:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

I've registered (Thank you BIP!).

I'm on the "Remain in" side!

S
Old Jan 11th 2016, 12:00 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel
... like to keep the UK in the EU just to keep the value in the citizenship + passport.
Good point. Canadian citizenship never appealed to me as I wasn't likely to want a government job and I can't imagine wanting to vote from what I've seen of Canadian politicians.

Not being in the EU would take away a massive advantage of the UK passport.
Old Jan 11th 2016, 12:14 am
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

If the Scottish referendum had been a yes it's why I'd probably have gone for a Scottish passport rather than RoUK- as I could see England opting out quite easily.

Though the constraint that you're only allowed two doesn't seem to be based on any firm evidence.
Old Jan 11th 2016, 12:51 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis

Is this what you need to fill in if you are an overseas citizen to enable postal vote/proxy?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.