Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Emigration and how it affects you as a couple!

Emigration and how it affects you as a couple!

Old Aug 5th 2008, 3:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

lauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to all
Default Re: Emigration and how it affects you as a couple!

Hi guys

We have just arrived and its the most amazing relief, there is so much still to figure out but the months of reading researching and posting have been worth it.

I am the principle researcher in our family but we all wanted to leave the UK. Lynne works nights so that left me with plenty time to prowl the forums and do all the researcha nd reading. I am also a control freak so it was always going to be that way.

We have been considering emigration for years and when we first looked at Canada we didnt have the money to cover the required funds and didnt really think we could wait the couple of years. We looked at the US for a long time and even started the process but OH was never 100% about the US and it caused a few issues. We were hoping to get in on OH being a nurse but that required her to study for the exams. As she was working full time and we have 2 young kids it just didnt work out. We spent about 5 years on that direction. I had enough and basically said we had to decide if we were going somewhere or not and had to get our act together.

I tried to bring it ti a head by getting an interview for a job in Oz which I didnt really want but I thought if it was what OH wanted then we could figure it out. It ended badly with a huge fight that brought a lot of stuff to the surface and got it all aired.

While looking at the Oz job I found this place after that idea fell through we looked in on the Canada forum and started reading the insight into the process showed us a way to get here relatively quickly and gave us some of the contacts we needed to get started. Lynne reckoned she had always liked Canada and we found some common ground to go forward.

After 1 day of our recce Lynne said that Calgary felt right and it was where she wanted to be, I felt the same so 6 months later here we are.

looking back I think we were so absorbed in just going through the motions of daily life for so long that we forgot to talk properly about what we wanted. A proper blow up followed by a cooling off and finding this forum got us here in the end.

Sorry didnt mean that to turn into an epic

Tom
Old Aug 5th 2008, 4:20 pm
Forum Regular

Summer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really nice

Tom

I definately hear you there. We went back and forth of considering going to Australia (seemed sensible as I grew up there), then going to the US (we both love the US), then going to Spain (don't know how that got in there).

Finally after a long discussion, Canada entered and since then we have never looked back. We both now have our hearts set on Canada, although I am doing the research (control freak here too) but I think we have made the right decision.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 6:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud of

Hi Judy

Just wanted to wish you all the very best on your new life adventure
We are in Naniamo , if you fancy meeting up for a coffee once your here please PM me

EB
X
Old Aug 5th 2008, 7:00 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eastbound
Hi Judy

Just wanted to wish you all the very best on your new life adventure
We are in Naniamo , if you fancy meeting up for a coffee once your here please PM me

EB
X
Thank you so much, Eastbound. I'll take you up on that offer.

Judy.
x
Old Aug 5th 2008, 8:23 pm
9 months, start to finish

gibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Caimas

I am sure you will glean from this thread, we are feeling the heat in our household at the moment

we argue, we smile, we laugh, we scream at each other.......all normal i'm sure.....

it has always been 'both' of our hopes and dreams for the future of our family.....long before the kids even came along and our oldest is 17.....but it stopped when i first feel pregnant (normal) and for the past 4 years it's been the major topic of our household, even though we didn't put in our papers then, we have now......still smiling, still screaming, still working it all out; and expect we'll be the same for years to come, even when we've landed......are we 'normal' in all this? yes, i expect we are.....you too x
Old Aug 5th 2008, 10:29 pm
Forum Regular

Caimas has a brilliant futureCaimas has a brilliant futureCaimas has a brilliant futureCaimas has a brilliant futureCaimas has a brilliant futureCaimas has a brilliant future

Thank you everyone for replying to my post. It really is appreciated and I love epics!!! I find it reassuring to hear from others about their experiences. I am sure I speak for most people on this forum that the devil is in the detail and of huge interest to others.

I am a stickler for detail and probably an information over-loader. But I agree, you can't really be too informed - I know I'd rather deal with analysis paralysis than sheer ignorance. The more you find out, the more you realise there is to know. This is where our differences arise.

Anyway, I will see what comes out in the wash!!!

Good night all.

Old Aug 5th 2008, 10:43 pm
Banned

strobemike has a spectacular aura aboutstrobemike has a spectacular aura aboutstrobemike has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
Thank you so much, Eastbound. I'll take you up on that offer.

Judy.
x
Judy, I am sort of going through the same issues as you, in your latter life, but of course it differs in the personal perspective...

You will be meeting me I guess in the near future. See you in Victoria...
Old Aug 6th 2008, 1:54 am
talking Ter Sami

acer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond repute

a) Has there been one half of a couple (if a couple in the first place), who has been more driven to push forward the move?
Yes, me.

OH is muttering things that from this side of the room sound suspiciously like "mulish", "tenacious" and "will not let things lie".

b) How did you share the mammoth research required and how did it affect you as a couple or as a family?
Snork!

We shared by me doing pretty much all of the research and OH keeping our computer virus-free. This is our usual MO, so it didn't particularly positively or negatively impact us.

c) Have you ever just felt like 'throwing in the towel' and if so, what stopped you?
Not really, although we had a tough decision to make when a very attractive job offer came up after we'd got our visas.

We've faced some tough decisions over the years and come out the other side stronger, although not without some costs. On one occasion early in our marriage we had to choose between fixing my personal unhappiness and OH accepting the career opportunity of a lifetime. Everything in our lives since then has stemmed from that decision. It could easily have gone either way and at the time, we were young and didn't know how big that was. Whatever other challenges we face, and whether or not we end up with the same happy ever after as each other, it will not be the emigration experience itself that soured things.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 3:34 am
BE Enthusiast

joelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to behold

For this and other reasons, my husband and I recently agreed to separate. We signed the separation agreement this past Friday, a month before what would have been our 35th wedding anniversary. Compared with separations and divorces that we've witnessed amongst our friends, ours has been amongst the most civil and cooperative ones so far. My husband has bought me out of my share of our Calgary house, and this will enable me to buy an apartment on Vancouver Island.

x

Gosh Judy, I'm stunned.

I'm sure you'll be really happy in BC. BC is lucky to have you!

Wishing you all the very best for the future! It's a pretty brave step but i'm sure you know it's right for you.

Love Jo xx
(will you change to Judy in BC)
Old Aug 6th 2008, 4:35 am
BE Forum Addict

fuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond repute

I am going to move to the west coast around the middle of September / beginning of October.
x
Hi Judy

Didn't realise that your move to the Island was going to be SO life changing!

The best of luck with all your decisions and please get in touch when you arrive - it would be great to meet up with you.

Jo