Election 2021

Old Sep 2nd 2021, 5:58 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Election 2021

O'Toole & even Harper seem more aligned with the conservative wing of the Democrats than Republicans who in their current form probably closer aligned with PPC.

On the democrat side, Biden would be a Liberal, Elizabeth Warren Green, Bernie and AOC NDP, Joe Manchin maybe a right leaning Liberal but he may fit in better with Canadian Conservative party.

Texas governor seems more aligned with PPC than Conservative Party.

Old Sep 2nd 2021, 11:58 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

This election in some ways seems like an alternate universe. or as someone on reddit put it "A 3 ring clown show"

I wonder how long if this Liberal MP wins that she will remain in the party, Trudeau has a history of kicking people out who dare question him.

Topic was about ending the ban on donating blood that prevent sexually active gay men from donating blood, which Trudeau had promised to do in 2015 and 2019, but appears to left it out of the platform this time around.

NDP candidate:

“I can’t give blood because I have sex with my boyfriend. I can’t donate organs,” Chang said. “The fact that we can’t get the Liberal government on board for these things to accelerate them and push for them is really problematic.”

Liberal MP running for reelection replied:

“I’m not even going to begin to defend this because I think you’re right,” Ien said in response.

Conservative candidate followed up with:

calling Trudeaus inaction on this as “indefensible.”

which the Liberal MP responded back with “Yeah, it is,” Ien said, “and I just got here.”

The Liberal MP was only elected in 2020 in a byelection so isn't exactly a career politician yet.

Green Leader misspoke....

https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/1941626947903

"I'll tell the people of Canada that if you want a real plan, one that is going to grow our economy, that is going to put us at the front of the competitive green economy of the future ... the only option in this election for you is the Liberals," Paul said.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Sep 3rd 2021 at 12:14 am.
Old Sep 3rd 2021, 12:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Mordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond repute

Liberals published details of their “First Home Savings Account” plan. Its an incredibly good deal. Best ever. And it will probably happen because chances are Liberals will get another minority. Young people have to be brain-dead to not use this.

A couple of 30-year olds can put $80k into FHSA. On day one they deduct this from income, like an RRSP. Potentially get $80K rebate from the taxpayer, depending on marginal tax rate. Stuff it back into TFSAs. Then $80k within FHSA grows tax free like a TFSA. After 10 years they can put the whole windfall (which should double if invested) towards a house.

Incentivizing house buying like this should set house prices on fire again.

The cut-off for this is 40 years. If you are a 41 year old without a house, you are completely xxxed. Budget - ditto.

https://liberal.ca/housing/afford-a-downpayment-faster/
Old Sep 3rd 2021, 1:02 am
Account Closed

I wonder how many home owners could afford their mortgage doubling with little notice. At least in BC this sort of thing can't legally happen, but seems NB has rather lax laws.

77 years old, pension of $1,600/month and her rent is being doubled to $1,150 per month.

Well another reason to dislike the moron, but then I am 42 so barely above 40, but apparently not worthy of housing, maybe if the government hadn't sat and did nothing for the last 25 years people may have been able to buy, the day I arrived in Canada in 2004, I was already priced out of the market and it only got worse by the year.

Originally Posted by Mordko
Liberals published details of their “First Home Savings Account” plan. Its an incredibly good deal. Best ever. And it will probably happen because chances are Liberals will get another minority. Young people have to be brain-dead to not use this.

A couple of 30-year olds can put $80k into FHSA. On day one they deduct this from income, like an RRSP. Potentially get $80K rebate from the taxpayer, depending on marginal tax rate. Stuff it back into TFSAs. Then $80k within FHSA grows tax free like a TFSA. After 10 years they can put the whole windfall (which should double if invested) towards a house.

Incentivizing house buying like this should set house prices on fire again.

The cut-off for this is 40 years. If you are a 41 year old without a house, you are completely xxxed. Budget - ditto.

https://liberal.ca/housing/afford-a-downpayment-faster/
Old Sep 3rd 2021, 5:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Just got round to checking who is running in my riding. F*** me Alberta. I’m living in the wrong place, though it is beautiful.

A liberal, a conservative, a PPC, Derek Sloan and the Maverick party. Sounds like the start of a really bad joke. WTF am I supposed to do with that choice?

I guess we just wait to see which shade of blue we turn this time. Sigh.
Old Sep 3rd 2021, 11:15 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
the Maverick party.
Moochops' dog is running? Better than Derek Sloan, I guess.
Old Sep 3rd 2021, 11:36 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

I saw a couple of Andrew Scheer signs on someone's front lawn the other day; they must have saved them from last time.
Old Sep 3rd 2021, 3:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Moochops' dog is running? Better than Derek Sloan, I guess.
The dog would make a better candidate than what we have on offer.🙄😉
Old Sep 3rd 2021, 3:52 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I wonder how many home owners could afford their mortgage doubling with little notice. At least in BC this sort of thing can't legally happen, but seems NB has rather lax laws.
It's been happening a lot over the last year. I suppose you could argue for some sort of law that dictates a maximum annual increase but these big rent increases have been happening with new owners and a lack of rent inreases over long periods.

Put a ceiling on the maximum a rent can increase and you can be sure that landlords will increase the rent every year by those maximums whereas historically they didn't change much.

Fortunately there are still some very desirable and affordable rentals around (I've just checked kijiji) especially if you avoid the newer apartment buildings.

Of course, where this senior lives, her options may be fewer.
Old Sep 3rd 2021, 7:16 pm
Account Closed

That is the pickle though, it is easier to absorb smaller annual increases for most than one huge increase unexpectedly.

Looking at the senior there, 2012 the highest allowable increase since 2005, for that senior would have been about $22/month increase, my guess it she could absorb that level of increase a lot easier than a sudden doubling of her rent.

BC caps varies its generally inflation + X%. For 2021 the allowable increase is 0% due to COVID special rules in effect.

It's not a perfect solution, but renting in Canada has become precarious and we are as a country running out of affordable city's.

Originally Posted by BristolUK
It's been happening a lot over the last year. I suppose you could argue for some sort of law that dictates a maximum annual increase but these big rent increases have been happening with new owners and a lack of rent inreases over long periods.

Put a ceiling on the maximum a rent can increase and you can be sure that landlords will increase the rent every year by those maximums whereas historically they didn't change much.

Fortunately there are still some very desirable and affordable rentals around (I've just checked kijiji) especially if you avoid the newer apartment buildings.

Of course, where this senior lives, her options may be fewer.
Old Sep 4th 2021, 5:01 am
Account Closed

Surprise surprise (not really) Trudeau side steps questions about his house flipping candidate.

Does he ever actually give answers? He seems incapable of answering important questions.

Question the reporter asked:

“Why should people…take you seriously on housing affordability, if in, what is arguably the most overheated housing market in the world, you’re running a literal house flipper?”

He did reply to the reporter just didn't answer the question.

JT replied with.

“Canadians have seen over the past number of years how seriously we, as a government, have taken the housing crisis,” Trudeau said, criticizing the former Conservative government’s lack of action on housing when in power.

Well JT your government has not taken it seriously for 6 years, your just lying through your teeth there, you may have had a fair point about the conservatives in 2015, but you have been in power now 6 years, so it lands on your feet now, oh and it wasn't the conservatives who buried the 1996 report that could have changed policy to prevent what happened 20 years later.

The second part of his reply was the usual, there is more to do.

“But we know that there is much more to do. That’s why we’re moving forward with measures that will make it easier to save for a down payment and allow first time homebuyers to get into the market, particularly young families,” Trudeau said.

Old Sep 4th 2021, 5:38 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

He did reply to the reporter just didn't answer the question.
Oh, the outrage! Why, I'm having trouble believing that.
If Taleeb hasn't broken the law (and he hasn't, has he?), what should be done? Is it possible that in Vancouver-Granville Taleeb is a popular candidate and might win there in spite of having made millions flipping houses? In some cultures success in business is considered a good quality in a political candidate. If Trudeau wanted to drop him, could he legally do it? Is Taleeb projected to win? If the constituents are willing to elect him, Trudeau will of course be hesitant to throw him under the bus and lose the riding. Maybe Taleeb will be elected, the government will change the law, and he can make another $5 million but pay the new tax on it.

Old Sep 4th 2021, 5:45 am
Account Closed

It's just the optics really, can't really trust people with vested interest in house flipping to push for change, so hard to believe the leader of the party saying they plan to do something about the housing crises, but then run candidates with vested interest in things not changing.

He came in 2nd last election losing to Jody Rayburn-Wilson who ran as an independent.

I guess it depends on which end of the riding has the most voters show up and vote.

"It seems possible Noormohamed’s apparently lucrative real estate dealings — and Che’s work challenging the tax — could play differently with older, longtime homeowners in Shaughnessy and Kerrisdale, for example, than with younger tenants in Fairview, Marpole or Riley Park. Of course, older homeowners are statistically more likely to vote than younger renters."

Originally Posted by caretaker
Oh, the outrage! Why, I'm having trouble believing that.
If Taleeb hasn't broken the law (and he hasn't, has he?), what should be done? Is it possible that in Vancouver-Granville Taleeb is a popular candidate and might win there in spite of having made millions flipping houses? In some cultures success in business is considered a good quality in a political candidate. If Trudeau wanted to drop him, could he legally do it? Is Taleeb projected to win? If the constituents are willing to elect him, Trudeau will of course be hesitant to throw him under the bus and lose the riding. Maybe Taleeb will be elected, the government will change the law, and he can make another $5 million but pay the new tax on it.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Sep 4th 2021 at 5:54 am.
Old Sep 4th 2021, 6:13 am
Stand-up Philosopher

I guess it depends on which end of the riding has the most voters show up and vote
Regina-Qu'Appelle has inner city and urban reserve but also includes farms and rural communities, so Andrew Scheer has been getting elected as our MP in spite of being a Conservative (and in spite of being Andrew Scheer).
Old Sep 4th 2021, 12:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond repute

If Taleeb hasn't broken the law (and he hasn't, has he?), what should be done?
Trudeau rallied against “housing speculators”. And appointed one to represent Liberal Party of Canada.

”I am a feminist”, - said Trudeau. And attacked Conservatives for having a candidate facing accusations of inappropriate behaviour. Tories had forced that candidate to step down (something “could be done”). Liberal Party has a candidate who faced multiple sexual assault accusations.

“I am concerned about Covid”, - said Trudeau and threatened “consequences” to people who flout the rules. Then he announced an unnecessary Covid election and set up gatherings flouting rules.

Trudeau makes promises to promote indigenous women. And kills the political career of Jody Wilson-Raybould for having ethical principles. And for telling the truth. Apparently its incompatible with being a Liberal MP.

Trudeau is sorry for “incredibly harmful” residential schools and stands by a candidate who denied they caused any harm.

There is lots more but you get the drift. Justin should be in the Guinness book of record for hypocrisy and lying. Yes, there is strong competition but he is the champ.

Last edited by Mordko; Sep 4th 2021 at 12:09 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.