British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Election 2021 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/election-2021-a-940242/)

caretaker Aug 21st 2021 6:14 am

Election 2021

Red, Blue, Orange, or Green, it's time to exercise our right to vote. I found this online tool for setting the questions for the Leaders' Debate, and it seems to cover a lot of ground:
https://newsinteractives.cbc.ca/long...bate-form-2021

Former Lancastrian Aug 21st 2021 9:29 am

Re: Election 2021

None of the above. I would vote for the Bloc Quebecois but they don't have candidates outside of Quebec. I am all for Quebec separating.

OrangeMango Aug 21st 2021 10:27 am

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 13042974)
None of the above. I would vote for the Bloc Quebecois but they don't have candidates outside of Quebec. I am all for Quebec separating.

Why so negative?

Former Lancastrian Aug 21st 2021 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by OrangeMango (Post 13042995)
Why so negative?

Errrr because politicians lie and promise the earth and fail to deliver and won't bargain in faith and make you wait 3 years for a new 4 year contract that expires in 10 months. Need I go on? Give me some positives to gush about?

OrangeMango Aug 21st 2021 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 13043025)
Errrr because politicians lie and promise the earth and fail to deliver and won't bargain in faith and make you wait 3 years for a new 4 year contract that expires in 10 months. Need I go on? Give me some positives to gush about?

That one is true.

Former Lancastrian Aug 21st 2021 12:37 pm

How do you think the Govt handled the pandemic for Canadians living abroad wanting to return back to Canada?

OrangeMango Aug 21st 2021 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 13043027)
How do you think the Govt handled the pandemic for Canadians living abroad wanting to return back to Canada?

I know all that and experienced it. Same for the large crowds at Pearson airport.

I am also well aware that politicians are mostly liars.

Also, I disagree with the election, especially as it's only tactical, and deeply wrong at this time of the pandemic.

If Trudeau really wants an early election, he should have picked Sept. 2022.

scrubbedexpat091 Aug 21st 2021 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 13042974)

Maybe if voters stopped voting in the same 2 parties over and over.

NDP as far as I know have never formed government, so hard to say what they would be like, if people want to try for actual change, stop voting for Conservatives and Liberal Party.

We have provincial NDP and in their first term they completed 80% of what they said they would do in the campaign, which finally we had a party in BC in power who did what they said they would do, rather than fluff from BC Liberals (not affiliated with Federal Liberals.) Did they complete every promise, no but its not realistic, 80% kept in my book is pretty good, some of the campaign promises are reliant on the federal government (housing funds for example) but NDP has done more in 4 years for housing than BC Liberals did in 16 years.

Oh well, if they didn't charge so much for citizenship, but not like my vote matters, no way I can convince the die hard conservatives who live in Kelowna to ever vote anything else.

scrubbedexpat091 Aug 21st 2021 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by OrangeMango (Post 13043029)
I know all that and experienced it. Same for the large crowds at Pearson airport.

I am also well aware that politicians are mostly liars.

Also, I disagree with the election, especially as it's only tactical, and deeply wrong at this time of the pandemic.

If Trudeau really wants an early election, he should have picked Sept. 2022.

But then he may have a higher chance of losing, although I hope this election backfires and he does lose or at least a another minority government and the party wises up and gets a new leader.

scilly Aug 21st 2021 10:34 pm

Actually, I kind of like the idea that Trudeau gets back in with a minority government but that the NDP is the next largest party.

OrangeMango Aug 21st 2021 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 13043134)
But then he may have a higher chance of losing, although I hope this election backfires and he does lose or at least a another minority government and the party wises up and gets a new leader.

I also hope that it backfires for Trudeau. Also considering the amount of debt the country has amassed during the pandemic, the election is also a cost factor.

I personally find the election rather selfish, political tactics and of no benefit to Canada at this point of time.

scrubbedexpat091 Aug 21st 2021 11:31 pm

Election costs are surely easier to budget with set election cycles, Canada seems to be in the middle, sort of kind of set, but can be called early, where the US its set in stone, nobody can call an early election just because their polls look good.

Originally Posted by OrangeMango (Post 13043167)
I also hope that it backfires for Trudeau. Also considering the amount of debt the country has amassed during the pandemic, the election is also a cost factor.

I personally find the election rather selfish, political tactics and of no benefit to Canada at this point of time.

BristolUK Aug 22nd 2021 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 13043133)
Maybe if voters stopped voting in the same 2 parties over and over.

NDP as far as I know have never formed government, so hard to say what they would be like, if people want to try for actual change, stop voting for Conservatives and Liberal Party.

We have provincial NDP and in their first term they completed 80% of what they said they would do in the campaign...

Trouble is, though, that fear of the other side comes into play. As much as one would like to see an NDP led by someone like Jack Layton, not voting middlish or safe has seen a government like Harper's or the possibility of the outdated Scheer. Trudeau and his party is infinitely preferable to either of those tory options.

Just looking over BC voting history and if a vote for NDP doesn't put them in power, maybe you at least get something watered down rather than the complete opposite. Put simply, a vote for NDP in BC doesn't risk getting the polar opposite (relatively speaking ;)) like it does for Canada as a whole.

And there does seem to be quite a difference between province versions of the same party name compared to federal versions.

When I first moved to NB Liberal vs Conservative seemed bass ackwards - eg Liberals favouring ambulance charges, tories against and Liberals wanting to sell off NB Power to Quebec with tories opposing.
Some years later, and an incoming Liberal government was a breath of fresh air - increased abortion availability, affordable prescription plan for everyone and free tuition for low income families rather than tax credits for the wealthier folk. It was just like you're saying for BC's NDP. :nod:

caretaker Aug 22nd 2021 4:56 pm

We're old and grey and we're here to stay, and we vote. Here's a rundown of what pensioners have been promised so far:
"Out of the gate, most of the parties have made promises to help seniors, largely focused on fixing the vulnerabilities exposed in long-term care homes by the COVID-19 pandemic."
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/sen...ises-1.6146275

scrubbedexpat091 Aug 22nd 2021 7:50 pm

And that is why nothing will change, people wont take the risk and vote for who they want not who they fear.

BC is more or less really not even represented at the federal level at the moment, mostly NDP & Conservative with a smaller liberal area and a former liberal riding now independent since Trudeau kicked her out.

As for the liberal name, it can get confusing in Canada, we have a party called BC Liberals which in reality is a right leaning more conservative party, but having conservative in the name in coastal BC isn't going to win you elections, the interior though is BC Liberal stronghold but the interior can't win elections.

From 2017 to 2020 election in BC, the NDP was only holding on by a string, the Green Party went into a limited coalition with NDP to prevent BC Liberals from forming government. 2017 election was 43 seats BC Liberals, 41 seats NDP and 3 seats Green Party, so with the green party coalition they had 1 seat above BC Liberals, but it started to fall apart a bit last year and it wasn't going to last another 12 months, which is the maximum BC could have gone until the next election.

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 13043288)
Trouble is, though, that fear of the other side comes into play. As much as one would like to see an NDP led by someone like Jack Layton, not voting middlish or safe has seen a government like Harper's or the possibility of the outdated Scheer. Trudeau and his party is infinitely preferable to either of those tory options.

Just looking over BC voting history and if a vote for NDP doesn't put them in power, maybe you at least get something watered down rather than the complete opposite. Put simply, a vote for NDP in BC doesn't risk getting the polar opposite (relatively speaking ;)) like it does for Canada as a whole.

And there does seem to be quite a difference between province versions of the same party name compared to federal versions.

When I first moved to NB Liberal vs Conservative seemed bass ackwards - eg Liberals favouring ambulance charges, tories against and Liberals wanting to sell off NB Power to Quebec with tories opposing.
Some years later, and an incoming Liberal government was a breath of fresh air - increased abortion availability, affordable prescription plan for everyone and free tuition for low income families rather than tax credits for the wealthier folk. It was just like you're saying for BC's NDP. :nod: