Election 2021

Old Sep 21st 2021, 5:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Election 2021

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Unfortunate for the one Liberal MP who made that comment about Taliban, appears she lost and will be about 3 weeks shy of 6 years needed to get the pension.
To be fair...she should never have been in that job in the first place. She was useless,...and a lot of those comments came from staunch liberal supporters.
Old Sep 21st 2021, 5:20 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
Well I would hope people voted for Brexit for more significant reasons other than retaining the awkward imperial system... the biggest problem for me is the converting back and fourth all the time.... which can be the cause of errors... The Gimli gider... where the Air Canada Boeing 767 ran out of fuel mid flight was caused by a conversion error between metric and imperial! pertty scary... but sometimes a very easy mistake to make.

I wasn't very good a math at school either, but when I started doing my job I got much better at it, and metric makes it a lot easier.... no fractions or odd numbers! and all units if measure are interchangeable.... particuarly volume and weight.. which makes life so much easier... I rarely work in metric now though, some of the drawings I now produce look like something for the Titanic with all the fractional dimensions!

I think for me it was both a learning disability and having 2 types of systems being shoved into my brain, if they had picked one or the other, I might have done better, but my poor just could handle metric and imperial all being shoved in at the same time, I still don't fractions well, I can read 1/2 1/3 3/4 but that is about my limit on measuring tapes, fractions confused me and still do, I can't figure out a fraction math problem at all, don't even know how to start it, never did though, my math ability basically ends at multiplication and simple division, but I will need paper and pencil to figure most out, I can only do the lower easy to remember in my head like 3x2 or such, but all the basic math I can figure out I just need paper to do it, or a calculator.

My inability to do well in math has kept me from jobs that require math or an education that involves math classes, so everything I ever did work wise was just basic stuff, adding and subtracting mostly and the computer did all the math, I just had to put in the numbers into boxes so the computer knew what to add and subtract.

Old Sep 21st 2021, 6:28 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
Some posters on this forum still insist on it Are you Nigel Farage in disguise.
A very heavy disguise.
Old Sep 21st 2021, 7:06 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
...why on earth have we not gone digital with voting yet?

I get the security about voting from home, but why on earth can't we drive to the polling station, and digitally enter our vote there? The counting of the votes would then take seconds, instead of hours and hours....
Be fair, it's not so easy to 'disappear' votes and then bring in van loads of votes for 'the other guy' with that kind of system.
Old Sep 22nd 2021, 12:12 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
Last week I foolishly signed up to help count the votes in Kamloops, I thought it would be one of those rare things to do in your life, same as Jury service.

How wrong was I, what an antiquated manual system we have here in Canada. I wont bore you with the details, but coming from someone who works in IT and loves to automate repetitive tasks, why on earth have we not gone digital with voting yet?

I get the security about voting from home, but why on earth can't we drive to the polling station, and digitally enter our vote there? The counting of the votes would then take seconds, instead of hours and hours....
We've used computerised voting in the municipal elections in Vancouver at least twice now, possibly 3 times.

It's very easy ..................... go to the polling station, use the "special" pencil to mark an X within the circle next to the names, take back to the clerk, and watch him/her slide it into the machine from within the folder (ie, not seeing how you voted). Machine spits the form out again, and it is then put into another box for retention so it can be checked if necessary at a later date.

Results within a couple of hours after closing.

At the last municipal election we had to choose from the most incredible number of candidates for mayor, city councillors, school trustees and park border, as follows. All names were randomized within the separate lists.....................

Mayor ............... 1 from 21 candidates

Councillors .................. up to 10 from 71

Park Board Commissioners ......... up to 7 from 33

School Board .......... up to 9 from 34 ............... and Mrs Doubtfire was one of the unsuccessful candidates

For some reason, there were many suggestions after the election that the requirements to be a candidate should be tightened up before the next election ................... which is next year. I don't know whether that has actually happened.

But this just shows how fast electronic voting can be......... and there were no complaints about fake results
Old Sep 22nd 2021, 12:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Mordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
The American election system has got to be the biggest joke of all!
Bit like them holding on to the imperial system, when no one else in the world uses it anymore!
Unfortunately they won the war of independence so they got to decide. The imperial system seems popular in Canada.
Old Sep 22nd 2021, 1:05 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mordko
Unfortunately they won the war of independence so they got to decide. The imperial system seems popular in Canada.
I'm in Canada and use imperial measures for length, area, and speed but for liquids I think US measures are customary. The tractor and lawn mower, for example, have their tank capacity expressed in US gallons.
Old Sep 22nd 2021, 1:20 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I'm in Canada and use imperial measures for length, area, and speed but for liquids I think US measures are customary. The tractor and lawn mower, for example, have their tank capacity expressed in US gallons.
I imagine they exist, but I have never had an oven in Canada in C they have all be in F with no C option, although our toaster oven did come with faceplate sticker for French to put over and its in C but presumably they just stick that sticker into the box for Canada and the oven itself is the US model in a bilingual box.

Old Sep 22nd 2021, 1:28 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I imagine they exist, but I have never had an oven in Canada in C they have all be in F with no C option, although our toaster oven did come with faceplate sticker for French to put over and its in C but presumably they just stick that sticker into the box for Canada and the oven itself is the US model in a bilingual box.
Oh, yes, I know degrees C are used here (-30 and halve) but I don't see them. The house thermostat is in F as is the big roadside thermometer I used to pass on the way to work. I don't think I've seen a recipe which had degrees C, even in parentheses. The meat thermometer, purchased here reasonably recently, is in degrees F only.

Thinking of recipes, a true Brexit benefit would be if the Gruaniad and the BBC included imperial measures in their recipes. Translating everything from metric is a pain in the arse especially knowing that the recipe was written in imperial and translated to metric in the first place.
Old Sep 22nd 2021, 2:18 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

I've almost always worked using half imperial and half metric, even in pre-1967 UK, late 1967 in US, and up here.

Even back in my high school days in the 1950s, lab work was almost always in metric while every day life was imperial. Same in the US, and same in Canada until we became "officially" metric.

It got so that I almost had a "split" mind .............. automatically using and understanding metric in the lab and Imperial outside.

Looking back, home refrigerators were in Fahrenheit, lab ones always metric.. My current refrigerator, bought around 2010, is metric. About 5C in the fridge part, about -2 or -3C in the freezer.

Now the only time I use Imperial is for the cooker, which uses Fahrenheit for the oven, and when looking at square footage of a house as I've never had to learn that.

I don't even choose meats, fruits, etc by lb .............. I choose the size or amount I need and the Safeway cashier charges it by the metric, although the price tag on the shelf might be per lb. That's simply because something priced per lb looks cheaper than when it is priced by kilogram, for all those people who refuse to learn metric!

Gas at the gas station is priced per litre at the pump. Our car shows the size of the gas tank in litres ............ obviously not an American model . So did our generator.

Our thermostats, including the one that was in the house when we bought it back in 1972, are in Centigrade. Most of my recipes collected over the years have both C and F temperatures in almost all the ones collected since about 1970 in Canada nd the US, and from Australia. Even quite a lot of my UK ones also have both F and C temperatures (or Mark 4 for gas stoves in UK books).

The measurements that really get me are "cups" ............. is it an American cup, an Australian cup, a British cup or a Canadian cup????? No good using an American cup for a British or Australian recipe, or vice versa, it can make a huge difference.

People like my 40-something daughter work only in metric because that is all they learnt from kindergarten on!

Sometimes I almost feel as if I am living in a separate universe from other people because my experiences are so different from them

Last edited by scilly; Sep 22nd 2021 at 2:26 am.
Old Sep 22nd 2021, 3:18 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

People lining up for 4 hours to vote.

And to think when I tell people at Hooters that Canada is a developing world country they get passive aggressive.

The chap elected in my riding was charged with sexual assault in 2019 and still won despite being disowned of the Liberal party.

This election was a complete waste of time and money.

Nice hair though.

Old Sep 22nd 2021, 5:37 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM

And to think when I tell people at Hooters that Canada is a developing world country they get passive aggressive.

The chap elected in my riding was charged with sexual assault in 2019 and still won despite being disowned of the Liberal party.

Nice hair though.
My friend's step mom just got reelected, it was fun watching the returns with her. I wish they'd do it like the British style with the retuning officer reading out the results at midnight with someone dressed as Barney the dinosaur standing behind him.
Old Sep 22nd 2021, 11:00 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Nice hair though.
Always amazes me how people like him think their past will not come back to haunt them. Of course the media/enemies/opposition etc are going to be digging around to find anything they can use. Why didn’t he come clean from the start?
Old Sep 22nd 2021, 11:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mordko
Yes purely because much of what is manufactured in Canada is destined for the US... so it has to be in imperial. . I've kind of got used to it now, but would prefer metric, its just so much easier in my job.
Old Sep 22nd 2021, 11:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Nice hair though.
The Bloc leader called it the most pointless election in Canadian history....

A friend in the UK said that on the news item there, they mentioned the Canadian election result quicky and said.... thats a bit of an embarassment!

I can't see him campaigning in another election... its stalemate..... but everyone knew that.....except the one with the nice hair.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.