Election 2021

Old Aug 22nd 2021, 11:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Election 2021

Ever since we came here 54 years ago, the NDP has been labelled the "Red horde", and both Liberals and Conservatives, but particularly the latter party, have made huge noises about what the "red horde" would mean ................. in words, they scared people silly as "red horde" was the name for the Communists of Russia.

That label was applied both federally and provincially.

Jack Layton was really the one that broke down the barrier federally, while Dave Barrett had broken it several years earlier in BC.

Jagmeet Singh seems to be having much the same popular appeal as Jack Layton once had.

Of course, those of us from the UK know that the NDP is nowhere near as far to the left as the Labour Party, and how false the label was.

Many of the NDP policies have been adopted by the Liberals for many years ............ after all it was a CCF later NDP party leader Tommy Douglas who first introduced a provincial Health policy, which was then adopted federally ...... hence out social security and medical programmes.
Old Aug 22nd 2021, 11:45 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
And that is why nothing will change, people wont take the risk and vote for who they want not who they fear..
I think maybe you are in a unique position over there. You're happy with the NDP and you'd like to see them governing Federally too.
From looking at recent election results in BC a vote for the NDP benefits the NDP.
For Canada, unless a voting swing to the NDP is a big one, the beneficiary will either be Libs or Cons, with the largest number switching from one of those feeling the worst about it.

Sometimes voting for the party you want works and other times you vote tactically to keep out the ones you'd least like.

Problems of the current system.
Old Aug 23rd 2021, 2:46 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I think maybe you are in a unique position over there. You're happy with the NDP and you'd like to see them governing Federally too.
From looking at recent election results in BC a vote for the NDP benefits the NDP.
For Canada, unless a voting swing to the NDP is a big one, the beneficiary will either be Libs or Cons, with the largest number switching from one of those feeling the worst about it.

Sometimes voting for the party you want works and other times you vote tactically to keep out the ones you'd least like.

Problems of the current system.

This is the problem!!

We will have a Liberal running in our district, after Jody decided not to run again. Not sure if I will vote for him or not ........... I know nothing about him. We did have a several page pamphlet through the door 2 or 3 weeks ago, but he hasn't been officially nominated yet, so far as I know.

No idea of who the candidates are for the NDP or the Conservatives.

But what do I want to happen????
Old Aug 23rd 2021, 4:40 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I just don't like the current liberal party leader, anyone but Trudeau at this point for me. NDP has so far been the only party to remotely do anything to improve lives of more than just the wealthy, which is really all the BC Liberals did, take from the lower classes to give breaks to their upper class friends oh and sell of government assets too, and screw up ICBC to the point it was horrendously expensive, from my perspective BC NDP has done more to improve BC than the liberals did in like almost 16 or 17 years.

Old Aug 23rd 2021, 4:48 am
BE Forum Addict

The NDP have done well in BC .................... but can they win enough seats in the federal election to make the government?

I honestly don't think they can.

So, if you don't like Trudeau, do you mind if O'Toole becomes PM?

IMHO, he's making big promises that he will be unable to keep.

Think ............. how is he going to build 1 million homes in 3 years?

He's going to have to pander to the largest group in his party, who are more conservative than he is trying to be. If he fails to satisfy them, then he will soon be out.

I believe Trudeau has done well during the pandemic with the money he has been handing out ........... business kept going, people laid off with money to feed their family. Certainly I can't complain as a senior on a pension.

The economy is turning around.
Old Aug 23rd 2021, 6:13 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a tool CBC calls their Vote Compass, intended to show which party you align with:
https://votecompass.cbc.ca/canada

And some more electioneering:
https://www.insauga.com/liberals-ndp...eral-election/

Last edited by caretaker; Aug 23rd 2021 at 7:10 am.
Old Aug 23rd 2021, 1:52 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
Here's a tool CBC calls their Vote Compass, intended to show which party you align with:
That was fun

For some reason, saving the image removed the identifiers. Maybe a screenshot is a better idea than having to do what I did.

Old Aug 23rd 2021, 2:45 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
That was fun For some reason, saving the image removed the identifiers. Maybe a screenshot is a better idea than having to do what I did.

There's mine.
Old Aug 23rd 2021, 2:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly

Think ............. how is he going to build 1 million homes in 3 years?

Canada, on average, builds 200,000 new homes. 1 million/3 years = 330K new homes per year. The plan is to:

a) repurpose 15% of federal buildings and convert them into apartments. Federal government is the largest property owner in Canada.
b) explore converting office space to housing. Some commercial offices are no longer used due to Covid-19 and a percentage will not be used going forward.
c) allow Canadians to defer capital gains taxes if they reinvest proceeds in rental properties to encourage development
d) implement recommendations of the Commission of Inquiry into money laundering in British Columbia
e) ban foreign buyers who are not moving to Canada from buying houses for 2 years (this is a gimmick; will not increase the number of new homes).

Old Aug 23rd 2021, 2:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond repute

He's going to have to pander to the largest group in his party, who are more conservative than he is trying to be. If he fails to satisfy them, then he will soon be out.
Are you referring to Social Conservatives? They form a vociferous but small minority of the party. Had zero impact on policy in 2005-2015; their numbers have been going down. O'Toole made clear that there will be no changes to laws on abortion. Here is an example of another policy: https://www.thestar.com/politics/fed...nvestment.html

Derek Sloan was the most prominent social conservative candidate during party leadership election. He received 14% of the vote. O'Toole had him kicked out from the caucus a few months ago.
Old Aug 23rd 2021, 3:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

I believe Trudeau has done well during the pandemic with the money he has been handing out ........... business kept going, people laid off with money to feed their family. Certainly I can't complain as a senior on a pension.

The economy is turning around.
"Roughly 100,000 businesses that were active in February 2020 were closed by September and remained closed as of November." https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/pub/.../00003-eng.htm

The forecast is for over 200,000 businesses to be permanently closed.

Meanwhile:

- completely unnecessary money has been doled out to companies with good connections https://www.orilliamatters.com/local...erator-2777517 This follows a pattern, of course. We remember government connections to SNC and WE.

- Anyone over 75 got $500 bribe timed to the election, regardless of need

- Why exactly are we spending half a billion dollars on this election? Was there a particular policy that Trudeau couldn't implement without this election? Which one? Sure looks like Trudeau is wasting a lot of taxpayers' money. Again.

- Canada's debt has ballooned. Understandable during a pandemic but the rate of increase has been unprecedented and the way money has been spent has been irresponsible. Projected to reach $1.3336 trillion by 2022.

At the current rates debt servicing amounts to 6% of our taxes. Current interest rates at 0.25% are unusual. Rates of 2% would be more normal; that's almost an order of magnitude increase. The other impact of a massive increase in money supply is inflation. Pierre Trudeau implemented similar monetary policies, which caused 12% inflation. Meanwhile our Prime Minister asks: "forgive me if I don’t think about monetary policy." Seems unforgivable given his job description.

Last edited by Mordko; Aug 23rd 2021 at 3:22 pm.
Old Aug 23rd 2021, 3:27 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mordko
allow Canadians to defer capital gains taxes if they reinvest proceeds in rental properties to encourage development
This is interesting, I have a deferred CGT liability, it seems the suggestion is that I can defer it again by becoming a slum lord. That seems like terrible public policy but it might allow me to get another car.
Old Aug 23rd 2021, 3:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dbd33
This is interesting, I have a deferred CGT liability, it seems the suggestion is that I can defer it again by becoming a slum lord. That seems like terrible public policy but it might allow me to get another car.
Yes, if you are a landlord and will sell your property to invest into building more rental accommodation. This will be over a fixed period of time (I recall 2 years?) and is designed to incentivize development in the rental market and help reach the 1M target. I have no idea if this will be an effective policy but the logic makes sense to me. Presumably some of the current landlords don't sell/reinvest because they don't want to trigger CGT, so they just sit on their capital.

"Another car" scenario is a nice thought but in direct contradiction with the proposal.

Last edited by Mordko; Aug 23rd 2021 at 3:38 pm.
Old Aug 23rd 2021, 3:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker

And some more electioneering:
https://www.insauga.com/liberals-ndp...eral-election/
I was between Liberal and PC but voted for neither in the last election and will not likely vote for either. I am quite disillusioned with the 'big 3' and have little to no trust in Justin Trudeau and his 'don't worry about inflation or the debt' mantra.....
Old Aug 23rd 2021, 4:19 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mordko
Presumably some of the current landlords don't sell/reinvest because they don't want to trigger CGT, so they just sit on their capital.

There can't be a huge number of such people. I expect it's just that someone in that situation is a significant donor.

I first read this to mean any CGT liability could be deferred by buying apartments.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.