Wikiposts

Education

Old Oct 9th 2014, 6:46 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Educashun

Originally Posted by Gozit
This is true. I do that as well. But there is way higher risk of human error than calculation error. Remember, a computer is only as smart as the person using it. Same applies to calculators.
you have to be Roflol to yourself winding up all the adults on BE with some of your posts, because you have me in stitches at times

is this the same person [you Gozit] that

a) wants to go to University because of the perceived end result will be self esteem, power, money & fast flashy cars?

or is it ....

b) a career in a trade because you work better with your hands than your head (noggin)?

Its all visual, so, is it by weight, volume or by the unit count?

Gozit in your world at the age you are today, do you believe that life is about being materialistic, satisfaction, greed or self-worth or a balance?

Last edited by not2old; Oct 9th 2014 at 6:59 am.
Old Oct 9th 2014, 8:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
you have to be Roflol to yourself winding up all the adults on BE with some of your posts, because you have me in stitches at times

is this the same person [you Gozit] that

a) wants to go to University because of the perceived end result will be self esteem, power, money & fast flashy cars?

or is it ....

b) a career in a trade because you work better with your hands than your head (noggin)?

Its all visual, so, is it by weight, volume or by the unit count?

Gozit in your world at the age you are today, do you believe that life is about being materialistic, satisfaction, greed or self-worth or a balance?
My thoughts for the future change by the hour

I think its a balance but I know there's a certain threshold of salary that simply won't be enough for me, whereas others can live perfectly content on.
Old Oct 9th 2014, 9:03 am
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

My thoughts for the future change by the hour

I think its a balance but I know there's a certain threshold of salary that simply won't be enough for me, whereas others can live perfectly content on.
$100K?
Old Oct 9th 2014, 9:22 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
$100K?
What'll that be worth by the time our 15 year-old is of sufficient maturity?

About a bag of peanuts, I'd think.
Old Oct 9th 2014, 9:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Education

Gozit, we all use calculators. The point is when you know your arithmetic inside out you have an intuitive sense of numbers. You are more likely to notice if some calculation or amount is wrong.

They had a TV show where they approached shoppers in a supermarket and asked them which between two differing promotions was a better deal (different quantities at different prices and different discounts) do you know, half the shoppers were clueless.
Yeah I would too, i'd probably want to pull out my mobile and use the calculator

I wouldn't say I know my arithmetic "inside out" but I would say I know it well enough to know what you're talking about. I'm alright with numbers, i'm not clueless.

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
How would you know that you put the correct numbers in if you don't check it, that was my point. It wasn't a case of checking the computer was doing the calculation correctly, it was checking that the human had put the right numbers in.
At the time, I was young, and I thought the same as you, just go over the numbers as you put them in and all will be well. Over the years though I have come to really value his advice, every time I watched a colleague have to explain that they will have to do their entire analysis and report over because they made a mistake in the input file and didn't spot it.
Exactly, I agree with you. But those are all human errors.

Originally Posted by Greenhill
You're in a job interview and you're asked the following question:

A candy bar and a single piece of candy cost $1.10 together. The candy bar is exactly one dollar more than the single piece of candy.

How much does the single piece of candy cost?

How would you react and answer this question?
The single piece of candy costs $0.10.
Old Oct 9th 2014, 9:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Novocastrian

+1.... But i'd agree with shard. My "threshold" is probably $100k, in today's money.
Old Oct 9th 2014, 9:28 am
Pictou County Superstarâ„¢

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

Nope.

I'm sorry to inform you Mr. Gozit, but you didn't get the job

Old Oct 9th 2014, 9:30 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

+1.... But i'd agree with shard. My "threshold" is probably $100k, in today's money.
What are your career intentions young Gozit? To achieve your salary...
Old Oct 9th 2014, 9:33 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

When you're in a hole stop digging.
Old Oct 9th 2014, 9:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Greenhill
Nope.

I'm sorry to inform you Mr. Gozit, but you didn't get the job
What did I do wro-ong?

Originally Posted by Tirytory
Honestly, don't know.

Nursing seems like a good option but not an area i'm passionate in at all.
Old Oct 9th 2014, 9:35 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I suck at mental math, but with paper and pencil can figure it out most if the problem isn't super basic (I have no clue how to do higher level maths at all however algebra etc) and yes there are lots of times in real life where its good to know basic maths and being able to do them in your head.

I don't take one shopping trip for groceries for example without doing math in my head inside the store to see what the best deal is.

For example eggs- At first glance the 24 pack seems the better deal, but if you break the price down to per egg, it's actually a better deal to buy 2 12 packs.

Most don't do the math and assume the 24 pack is a better deal because marketing has told us buying in bulk is cheaper.

I use math extensively at Costco, can't tell you how much in Costco actually costs more then buying multiple smaller items at the local grocery store....

At the airline we had to think on the fly for baggage weights, we didn't have computers or calculators sitting next to the flight, we had to do it with our brain.

There is a slew of reasons why we need to know basic math and cannot rely on there being a calculator. The calculator is a tool, but should never replace the human brain, only assist the brain in making things easier.
Old Oct 9th 2014, 9:35 am
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by Tirytory
Three wins in a row on Jeopardy. Let's hope there aren't too many categories needing an education.
Old Oct 9th 2014, 9:39 am
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian

Sufficient maturity or working age ?!

It does remind me of a young Canadian lad (24?) I met on a plane a few years ago, off to do an MBA in Manchester with an expectation of walking in to a $250K job on graduation. Although if he played his cards right, he's probably on at least that now.
Old Oct 9th 2014, 9:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sufficient maturity or working age ?!

It does remind me of a young Canadian lad (24?) I met on a plane a few years ago, off to do an MBA in Manchester with an expectation of walking in to a $250K job on graduation. Although if he played his cards right, he's probably on at least that now.
I wouldn't expect to walk into something as big as that, although it would be absolutely lovely.

But I don't like the idea of graduating into $40,000. That sounds like something that would suck.

BUT my goal is to make it up to a salary such as $250k. What profession was the lad doing an MBA for?
Old Oct 9th 2014, 9:43 am
Pictou County Superstarâ„¢

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

Double check your math and logical reasoning by starting at your answer and working backwards through the question.

What did I do wro-ong?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.