Wikiposts

Education

Old Oct 8th 2014, 9:39 pm
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Education

Saw this nice little summary of changes in the UK national curriculum, and would be interested to hear comments in relation to what's being taught in Canadian schools at the same grades/levels? It's not a summary of the entire curriculum, but it does give an indication of things. Is it about the same in Canada, is Britain ahead (I doubt we'd be behind)?

Changes to the national curriculum: what to expect | Mumsnet
Old Oct 8th 2014, 9:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Education

Originally Posted by Shard
Saw this nice little summary of changes in the UK national curriculum, and would be interested to hear comments in relation to what's being taught in Canadian schools at the same grades/levels? It's not a summary of the entire curriculum, but it does give an indication of things. Is it about the same in Canada, is Britain ahead (I doubt we'd be behind)?

Changes to the national curriculum: what to expect | Mumsnet
There's been a lot in the press about all these changes to the curriculum, which has completely confused me, as most of it is stuff my children have been doing already.

Lots of talk of times tables by the age of 9, but both of mine knew all theirs before that age, ditto for fractions, talk of teaching English history, but in the past year my two have studied the Tudors, Victorians, Florence Nightingale, Grace Darling, and the Industrial Revolution. Etc, etc.

And it's not just our school either, as they did the same at their last school which is in a different county, so I don't really understand why these are supposed to be 'changes' to the curriculum, when they've already been taught?

I have to say though, that having seen school work of Canadian friends children, certainly they do seem to be quite behind their UK counterparts at the same age i.e. their handwriting isn't joined up and looks like a much younger childs, and they seem to be doing much more basic maths. Spellings too, as an example my 7 year old this week had spellings like 'unconscious', 'accommodate' and 'success', whereas his Canadian friends don't seem to have spellings like that.

But I have no doubt that in a few years time there will be no discernible difference between them, and that the Canadians will have perfect handwriting, spellings and maths, it all evens out in the end!
Old Oct 8th 2014, 10:12 pm
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
There's been a lot in the press about all these changes to the curriculum, which has completely confused me, as most of it is stuff my children have been doing already.

Lots of talk of times tables by the age of 9, but both of mine knew all theirs before that age, ditto for fractions, talk of teaching English history, but in the past year my two have studied the Tudors, Victorians, Florence Nightingale, Grace Darling, and the Industrial Revolution. Etc, etc.

And it's not just our school either, as they did the same at their last school which is in a different county, so I don't really understand why these are supposed to be 'changes' to the curriculum, when they've already been taught?

I have to say though, that having seen school work of Canadian friends children, certainly they do seem to be quite behind their UK counterparts at the same age i.e. their handwriting isn't joined up and looks like a much younger childs, and they seem to be doing much more basic maths. Spellings too, as an example my 7 year old this week had spellings like 'unconscious', 'accommodate' and 'success', whereas his Canadian friends don't seem to have spellings like that.

But I have no doubt that in a few years time there will be no discernible difference between them, and that the Canadians will have perfect handwriting, spellings and maths, it all evens out in the end!
I think the UK changes are aimed at raising "modest' standards at some schools to that which is already being taught at better schools. And I believe history is also taking a more traditional (British) slant.

There seem to be all sorts of ideas about teaching spelling these days, and whether it is that important at all. To me rote learning of spelling seems the best, but that seems to be out of fashion.
Old Oct 8th 2014, 10:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

There seem to be all sorts of ideas about teaching spelling these days, and whether it is that important at all. To me rote learning of spelling seems the best, but that seems to be out of fashion.
Not at either of the schools my children have been at - old fashioned spelling tests each week in both of them.

They each get 10-12 spellings in their spelling book to learn each week, and have to write a sentence with each to show they've understood how to use the word. Spelling tests are on Monday mornings, so I usually shout random words at them periodically throughout the weekend.

This week's delights include 'mischievous', 'sufficient', 'marvellous' and 'rhythm', so those will be among the words I will be throwing across the breakfast table this weekend.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Oct 8th 2014 at 10:19 pm.
Old Oct 8th 2014, 11:07 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I think "a greater focus on programming rather than on operating programs" and more emphasis on modern languages are a good start. The rest is just more "back-to-basics" bollocks to pander to the home counties reactionary constituency.

Last edited by Oink; Oct 8th 2014 at 11:11 pm.
Old Oct 8th 2014, 11:21 pm
me/moi

Originally Posted by Oink
I think "a greater focus on programming rather than on operating programs" and more emphasis on modern languages are a good start. The rest is just more "back-to-basics" bollocks to pander to the home counties reactionary constituency.
Agree

Disagree
Old Oct 8th 2014, 11:27 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Disagree
"the use of commas and apostrophes will be taught in KS1." That's bound to the British economy back on the right track.

Last edited by Oink; Oct 8th 2014 at 11:35 pm.
Old Oct 8th 2014, 11:39 pm
me/moi

"the use of commas and apostrophes will be taught in KS1." That's bound to the British economy back on the right track.
Considering they're still trying to teach it to some at Y5, it's probably a step in the right direction. Imagine how many characters a Chinese kid has memorised by the end of their KS1.
Old Oct 8th 2014, 11:55 pm

Default Re: Educashun

Considering they're still trying to teach it to some at Y5, it's probably a step in the right direction. Imagine how many characters a Chinese kid has memorised by the end of their KS1.
I doubt much will change apart from giving teachers a new reason to moan about paperwork.
Old Oct 9th 2014, 1:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

+1 to this.

IMO UK is WAY ahead of what I'm doing here. (as per that article) The programming/hands on machinery stuff might actually make me somewhat enjoy school...

But they really need to sod the "calculators will not be introduced until xx year" because really, why is it at all necessary for kids to know their multiplications tables when calculators can just do the job... I can't count the times they were "drilled" into me and since now I've forgotten all of them. Once I entered high school I was told "sod that, calculators are easier and more efficient".

And the new requirements on "handwriting must me neat and speedy" are a step backward IMO. Although that's a personally biased opinion because I have a fine motor deficiency that causes me to not be able to write legibly. I would hope that for students like me there would be an accommodation/exception made to that. (I use a computer for all school work.)

But all in all UK is way ahead of here IMO.
Old Oct 9th 2014, 2:11 am

Originally Posted by Gozit
+1 to this.

IMO UK is WAY ahead of what I'm doing here. (as per that article) The programming/hands on machinery stuff might actually make me somewhat enjoy school...

But they really need to sod the "calculators will not be introduced until xx year" because really, why is it at all necessary for kids to know their multiplications tables when calculators can just do the job... I can't count the times they were "drilled" into me and since now I've forgotten all of them. Once I entered high school I was told "sod that, calculators are easier and more efficient".

And the new requirements on "handwriting must me neat and speedy" are a step backward IMO. Although that's a personally biased opinion because I have a fine motor deficiency that causes me to not be able to write legibly. I would hope that for students like me there would be an accommodation/exception made to that. (I use a computer for all school work.)

But all in all UK is way ahead of here IMO.

Its the same with spelling. With the ubiquity of spell checkers and predictive text you'd think that they would concentrate on more important aspects. The area that seems glaringly absent is any real talk about critical and abstract thinking, reasoning and creativity.
Old Oct 9th 2014, 2:36 am
Pictou County Superstarâ„¢

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

Its the same with spelling. With the ubiquity of spell checkers and predictive text you'd think that they would concentrate on more important aspects. The area that seems glaringly absent is any real talk about critical and abstract thinking, reasoning and creativity.
There's an extracurricular activity that checks those boxes.

It's called "Minecraft".
Old Oct 9th 2014, 2:44 am
me/moi

Originally Posted by Greenhill

It's called "Minecraft".
Indeed !!!
Old Oct 9th 2014, 2:50 am
me/moi

I think they are deemphasising spelling now. Teaching the basic rules and guidelines and leaving it at that.

I disagree with Gozit on times tables. Essential to know them inside out by around age nine I would say. Having a sense of numbers is useful in life, and getting the mechanics out of the way early lets kid focus on more interesting things like problem solving.
Old Oct 9th 2014, 2:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Greenhill

It's called "Minecraft".
+1 and +1.

I think they are deemphasising spelling now. Teaching the basic rules and guidelines and leaving it at that.

I disagree with Gozit on times tables. Essential to know them inside out by around age nine I would say. Having a sense of numbers is useful in life, and getting the mechanics out of the way early lets kid focus on more interesting things like problem solving.
Why? I haven't yet a life experience where I've needed to know times tables. My calculator (built into my mobile, which is on me at all times) does the job faster than I can. And problem solving isn't interesting (in the math sense), its extremely difficult and frustrating. (and also completely useless in the outside world)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.